The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else thinking the studio theme should go? With newer additions like Diagon Alley, Fast & Furious, a Springsfield area, and the nighttime show not being a “celebration of movies” like the last two were; the studio theme is pretty irrelevant now. I don’t think it’s to hard to change it into something like the Magic Kingdom.
I'm not even sure where the "Studio" thing really even exists anymore in the park

Like, you can see the soundstages behind Rockit, there's some studio lights in the Mummy queue, and Production Central is ugly

Otherwise, it's a kind of light tie-in

There is something to be said and admired about the cohesive nature of the original park...but "Studios" still functions as it is now

Last edited:
Universal is Film Studios, that's their M.O.. The Studio theme gives Universal a reason to keep much of the park lightly themed without spending Diagon Alley levels of money for more immersive theming. Plus the Studios concept
is still strong with the NYC, SF, Hollywood areas doubling as film lots. Additionally, their parks in Beijing, Singapore, Japan & Hollywood all are Studio oriented. Only IOA and Epic deviate from that
pattern. So, no, I doubt they'll change USF in the near future. Like the Castle parks are to Disney, the Studio theme is Universal's calling card.

Oh yeah, I should have clarified. I think with the newer additions that the studio theme is slowly eroding; that’s what I tried to mean. I didn’t check up on Beijing but the studio theming wasn’t really strong with Singapore. There was only Hollywood, the rest of the park feeled like it’s own Islands of adventure with a more detailed New York.

Oh yeah, I should have clarified. I think with the newer additions that the studio theme is slowly eroding; that’s what I tried to mean. I didn’t check up on Beijing but the studio theming wasn’t really strong with Singapore. There was only Hollywood, the rest of the park feeled like it’s own Islands of adventure with a more detailed New York.
I think it's already gone truthfully, whatever "it" was

Maybe Horror Make-up is the last "old studios" left

USF definitely has a vibe though, idk if you'd call it a theme...but it's much much tighter than Hollwywood Studios for instance

Meaning, everything does still gel together

Reactions: Darko and Mad Dog
Yes. The Studio theme is not as overriding as it was in the 90's. It's more of a diversified setting now with some areas, like Diagon & Springfield, highly themed. But the Studio Theme is still what pulls it all together. I doubt
Universal would change that, though specific areas of the park might get a more overriding individual theme as time goes by.

I think it's already gone truthfully, whatever "it" was

Maybe Horror Make-up is the last "old studios" left

USF definitely has a vibe though, idk if you'd call it a theme...but it's much much tighter than Hollwywood Studios for instance

Meaning, everything does still gel together

I mean there’s still Revenge of the Mummy; with its story of a haunted film set.

The new show really was a big loss for the theming. The previous shows didn’t look good, but they were celebrations of Uni’s legacy or felt like it.

The soundstages still get used for productions other than HHN, and when I went the second weekend of HHN this year, in the very early morning hours they were clearly filming something at the Today Cafe and it didn't look related to the parks usual material. (Like the commercial/ad/etc that was being filmed in front of the globe at the same time.)

Reactions: Jwhee
I wish they’d add some sort of studio tour to the 30 Rock/NY area. Could use another attraction back there.
Productions HATE tours + while there are productions in the sound stages when they can get them, it's not like they're always going on, nor would you be able to see anything really.

I've worked back there as an extra on different projects including Disney+'s The Right Stuff, commercial shoots, etc (i've also done projects in Atlanta including Stranger Things) and especially on a project as big as The Right Stuff or another recent project that got two seasons back there (David Makes Man), there's so much going on that even being back there you don't really see the stars of the show too much anyway.

A lot of production happens in the park for commercials (like we've seen when streets have random production going on or there's parks related stuff going on whether it be for Fallon, TODAY, etc.) There's also NXT Dark live filmings in the sound stages when they have live events as well. I believe they pool an audience from the park to go to those to try and fill up the shots so if you are there on a day like that, it may be worth checking out.

Productions HATE tours + while there are productions in the sound stages when they can get them, it's not like they're always going on, nor would you be able to see anything really.

I've worked back there as an extra on different projects including Disney+'s The Right Stuff, commercial shoots, etc (i've also done projects in Atlanta including Stranger Things) and especially on a project as big as The Right Stuff or another recent project that got two seasons back there (David Makes Man), there's so much going on that even being back there you don't really see the stars of the show too much anyway.

A lot of production happens in the park for commercials (like we've seen when streets have random production going on or there's parks related stuff going on whether it be for Fallon, TODAY, etc.) There's also NXT Dark live filmings in the sound stages when they have live events as well. I believe they pool an audience from the park to go to those to try and fill up the shots so if you are there on a day like that, it may be worth checking out.
Cool stuff to note!

Okay so remember when HHN 2009 and the Great Movie Ride’s story was that it was all inside a movie theater? What if like USF or any other Uni park goes on that idea? Like the front entrance is an elaborate movie theater facade and guests pass through a giant screen and voila there in the movies.

Reactions: HHN Maddux
Okay so remember when HHN 2009 and the Great Movie Ride’s story was that it was all inside a movie theater? What if like USF or any other Uni park goes on that idea? Like the front entrance is an elaborate movie theater facade and guests pass through a giant screen and voila there in the movies.
Actually the GMR was in a soundstage. But the ride itself could never decide if we were in the movie, or in the soundstage of the movie. (Some were complete sets like Alien. Some, like Oz, were designed to look like a set). But the tour itself began and ended in an "enchanted soundstage".

Status
Not open for further replies.