The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Looking at the Map,Poseidon's Fury is a huge sound stage. I like the water tunnel, but they could put anything there with that amount of space. I'd love to see a dark ride in that space.

It may look like that from above, but it's not really an empty box soundstage. It's a custom structure built specifically for that attraction. Putting a different attraction in the existing building would be shoehorning it.

I feel like I enjoy posidons fury for all the wrong reasons. It's like a really bad B movie with the finale being shot at a high school. Gorgeous scenery but that's about it. Honestly if they announced yesterday lost continent was leaving I wouldn't really care. A facade and mythos aren't enough to keep it around for me. Don't even get me started on that sinbad show. It's a former shell of the greatness that it was 14 years ago. For a replacement I'd go with something based on literature that can support the small space it has left. Wonka would've been amazing

Nah, I really hope wonda doesnt come. It seems like a waste of space

- - - Updated - - -

It may look like that from above, but it's not really an empty box soundstage. It's a custom structure built specifically for that attraction. Putting a different attraction in the existing building would be shoehorning it.

Going thru the watertunnel on a trackless car would be be pretty amazing

What I mean is that it's a huge lot. I'd expect them to tear it down and start over.

-alex

I really think the trackless system works better for wonka. It could be a three for one deal. Trackless factory tour, boat ride and a glass elevator motion simulator. That and the candy they'd sell would probably make way more than the potter candies. I see it as marketing gold

I really think the trackless system works better for wonka. It could be a three for one deal. Trackless factory tour, boat ride and a glass elevator motion simulator. That and the candy they'd sell would probably make way more than the potter candies. I see it as marketing gold

Just... No...

No Wonka

Just... No...

No Wonka
Why not? The Atlantis section of LC is basically what's left of the entire land. That'd fit the factory and a giant candy store perfectly, id be a smooth transition into potter and I'd make for a cool thing to see on the waterfront. The area is too small for LOTR and while all of us want a dark ride in posiedons fury, there isn't a point in revamping a already dead area, there wouldn't be a way to market it. LC was only made because they couldn't afford rights to other fantasy properties and they had past workers of beastly kingdom who could make a unique original land. They also had the other IPs in the park to back the land up. The results were incredible but now that it's mostly gone, why revamp it when you could take a classic story and make it on its own? Just saying

Why not? The Atlantis section of LC is basically what's left of the entire land. That'd fit the factory and a giant candy store perfectly, id be a smooth transition into potter and I'd make for a cool thing to see on the waterfront. The area is too small for LOTR and while all of us want a dark ride in posiedons fury, there isn't a point in revamping a already dead area, there wouldn't be a way to market it. LC was only made because they couldn't afford rights to other fantasy properties and they had past workers of beastly kingdom who could make a unique original land. They also had the other IPs in the park to back the land up. The results were incredible but now that it's mostly gone, why revamp it when you could take a classic story and make it on its own? Just saying

I agree with you that it would make a good land, BUT I do not see it happening. I have been told that the Dahl family has been very hard to work with since the Johnny Depp Wonka film. They were apparently disappointed in the Gene Wilder version (which, although Dahl allegedly wrote the screenplay, was changed) and after seeing the Depp version they were less enthused about outsiders adapting their material. While I know that Universal has done a great job of working with the hard to please creators (Geisel and Rowling) there is no reason for them to PURSUE this property. Seuss was necessary to have a kids area and Potter was necessary to revitalize a stagnant park. Wonka (while I would love it) is not necessary. They could just as easily go after other properties or make up their own.

I agree with you that it would make a good land, BUT I do not see it happening. I have been told that the Dahl family has been very hard to work with since the Johnny Depp Wonka film. They were apparently disappointed in the Gene Wilder version (which, although Dahl allegedly wrote the screenplay, was changed) and after seeing the Depp version they were less enthused about outsiders adapting their material. While I know that Universal has done a great job of working with the hard to please creators (Geisel and Rowling) there is no reason for them to PURSUE this property. Seuss was necessary to have a kids area and Potter was necessary to revitalize a stagnant park. Wonka (while I would love it) is not necessary. They could just as easily go after other properties or make up their own.
at this point there is no way in hell uni is going to make a original land unless if it's in a third park (as much as I'd love one) and yeah you are probably right. Personally I'd like to see a burton wonka land just because the style itself warrants a theme park attraction. You never know though, I think warner bros would probably be down for it because of the success of potter. I don't know how much the Dahl family has to do with that movie though so it's up in arms. I know this is a REALLY big stretch but I'd love to see just a Dahl land. Wonka ride, James and the giant peach restaurant to replace mythos and possibly a fantastic mr fox dark ride if it could fit. Again 0% of this actually happening bit a Dahl fanboy like myself can dream right? XD

If Wonka ever came to Universal if you be in the form of a retail establishment and not a land. If these Wonka rumors keep popping up I'd guess we see a shop or a company tie in to the parks. I mean what about a Wonka Candy Shop in Citywalk for their next round of projects? Probable no not at all but possible yes.

http://blog.retail-is-detail.org/2011/02/retail-store-design-willy-wonka.html

A wonka city walk shop would be neat but since the movie itself is so detailed and has a boat and glass elevator ride in it, it just begs for a attraction or two. I would waste a brand like wonka on a shop. Possibly kidzone would be better than the LC for a wonka something. Has more space for wonka and a little more. Does anybody think OZ or the emerald city would work as a replacement for LC? I think it could if they do it right. Trackless dark ride, new show to replace sinbad and a emerald city eatery to replace mythos? Just a thought

Hatetofly said, not too long before he left, that Toon Lagoon was on borrowed time, if this is indeed true than I would say it will be quite a while until anything will change in LC. Kong does not open 'till 2016, so probably then there will be changes to Toon Lagoon, so changes to LC are probably quite far away from now ... LC does not have any big attractions, but the facade of Mythos is the most impressive thing in the park.

Hatetofly said, not too long before he left, that Toon Lagoon was on borrowed time, if this is indeed true than I would say it will be quite a while until anything will change in LC. Kong does not open 'till 2016, so probably then there will be changes to Toon Lagoon, so changes to LC are probably quite far away from now ... LC does not have any big attractions, but the facade of Mythos is the most impressive thing in the park.
hate also said on Twitter that toon lagoon was safe. I honestly don't think either TL or LC will be replaced anytime soon but speculating is fun. Both will be on the chopping block soon enough

True, but I assume that toon lagoon being safe is meant because nothing will happen until 2017.
On the other hand, the thought just struck me that getting rid of LC first also would make sense because they don't lose any 'real' attractions, whereas if they redo toon lagoon, they lose two attractions.

True, but I assume that toon lagoon being safe is meant because nothing will happen until 2017.
On the other hand, the thought just struck me that getting rid of LC first also would make sense because they don't lose any 'real' attractions, whereas if they redo toon lagoon, they lose two attractions.
That's what I think aswell. I know the mythos facade is what's keeping this land alive and yeah it's badass but a restaurant shouldn't be the only thing worth doing at a land. As much as we all rag on toon lagoon for not being relevant LC is REALLY irrelevant. After kidzone this land is begging for a demo

hate also said on Twitter that toon lagoon was safe. I honestly don't think either TL or LC will be replaced anytime soon but speculating is fun. Both will be on the chopping block soon enough

The twitter post you are referring to was one that had true things and false things in it. I'm leaning toward Toon Lagoon wont last long.

Why is Lost Continent irrelevant? Because it's not tied into a blockbuster franchise? I wouldn't think a land based on Greek mythology in a park based on literature is irrelevant.

My opinion is simply because there really isn't much there anymore. Poseidon's Fury isn't the same as it used to be anymore, there is a giant area for buying tickets right outside of Sinbad, most of Hogsmede is easily within view, the rides have all been consumed, and Potter keeps encroaching further and further out.

It's not that it's the Greek mythology it was just the way it was executed. I love original attractions like HM, Everest and dinosaur. When uni gets creative it's also pretty awesome with the green planet and who doesn't enjoy the original HHN properties? Lost continent was phenomenal when it opened but look at Poseidon's fury and sinbad, they are god awful. Sinbad might have one of the worst scripts ever. It's irrelevant in the sense that nobody cares about it. Greek myths and old legends are timeless but since they didn't pull it off the way most would want to see them, it comes off as cheesy and useless for a park that is WAY too good for it