The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 155 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In recent years Nintendo has established Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon as their 4 largest brands. Consistently these 4 have appeared together on corporate imagery, and have been the primary focus of Nintendo's merchandising. Perhaps Splatoon is not currently popular enough to warrant something in the US, but I wouldn't count out Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing has been rapidly growing in popularity over the years, which culminated in it becoming a phenomenon during lockdowns. If there ever was expansion beyond Zelda and Pokemon, I think Animal Crossing would easily be the frontrunner.

In recent years Nintendo has established Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon as their 4 largest brands. Consistently these 4 have appeared together on corporate imagery, and have been the primary focus of Nintendo's merchandising. Perhaps Splatoon is not currently popular enough to warrant something in the US, but I wouldn't count out Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing has been rapidly growing in popularity over the years, which culminated in it becoming a phenomenon during lockdowns. If there ever was expansion beyond Zelda and Pokemon, I think Animal Crossing would easily be the frontrunner.
Animal Crossing is a really good franchise, but I don't think it lends itself great to a whole theme park expansion. I think merch and maybe some character meet and greets are more than possible though. Personally I would like to see a meet and greet space in the Nintendo store in the central hub that would host rotating non-Mario characters.

Reactions: JungleSkip and Nico
Though in the spirit of overthinking things, I do always scratch my head when the "genre balance" debate comes up and a sci fi property is suggested. I always felt the general lack of sci fi in theme parks and/or floundering lands based on it were good indicators of the lower popularity of that stuff. If one were to aim for something science-y/spacey in theme parks I feel we would end up with something leaning more "science fantasy" ala Dune (which brings up the usual issue of some stuff makes for a good ride idea but maybe not land) perhaps.
Regarding the lack of Sci-Fi, you're referring strictly to non-Disney World parks, right? Because every park at Disney World has sci-fi represented, sometimes heavily.

Last edited:
Regarding the lack of Sci-Fi, you're referring strictly to non-Disney World parks, right? Because every park at Disney World has sci-fi represented, sometimes heavily.
So does every Universal park. Transformers and Jurassic Park feature in every Universal resort.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
So does every Universal park. Transformers and Jurassic Park feature in every Universal resort.
I'd never thought about JP being considered sci-fi, but I suppose if we categorize it as such then yeah Uni has a good amount. I'd also throw in MIB into the mix for Universal, and soon to be the dueling coaster at Epic Universe and possibly the carousel ride.

But I guess my point is that Disney is kinda over-representing sci-fi at their Orlando parks, with enough to fill an entire theme park (and it would end up being my favorite Disney park by far considering it would have most of the new e-ticket rides).

A "Nintendo Space World" would be cool. Kirby, Samus, Captain Falcon, Fox McCloud, and Ness from Earthbound would all be at home there, interacting. If Nintendo ever did their own park, you can bet some or all of these would be represented.

That said, Legend of Zelda and Pokemon (co-owned by Nintendo) seem more realistic. All other IPs (including Splatoon, Animal Crossing, etc) seem more niche. Good for merchandising under a "Nintendo Store," but maybe not recognizable enough next to Mario, Link, etc.
This wouldn’t replace Zelda or anything. Zelda goes to Islands as rumored and this land uses the expansion plot next to Mario/Dk at EU. Simpsons is rumored to be leaving at some point right since that contract actually has to be renewed unlike the Marvel one? Springfield leaves for Pokémon at the Studios.

Good point about Kirby. He could get a Slinky Dog level Warp Star coaster. Or Hippogriff level to save on space who knows.

Reactions: RFRees
I'd never thought about JP being considered sci-fi, but I suppose if we categorize it as such then yeah Uni has a good amount. I'd also throw in MIB into the mix for Universal, and soon to be the dueling coaster at Epic Universe and possibly the carousel ride.
You could definitely throw in E.T. and Marvel too, and BttF when it was around.

Reactions: tankart150

I would absolutely LOVE this. Even a mini-land with Nook's Cranny/Roost/etc

Reactions: Mike S and mccgavin
I mean as pointed out it comes down to how broadly one defines “science fiction” for me it’s much narrower than any and everything involving space faring , advanced technology , aliens , etc . It’s just like how I would say there’s more nuances than lumping both Zelda and LoTR into just both being “fantasy” when it comes to the perceptions amongst fans and the general public (Heck I would say not even some Zelda games have been the same genres of “fantasy”. Like I could add more specific descriptors to the the category i’m talking about , but also already think i’m gonna bow out and concede the point if we’re putting marvel and jp/jw into “sci fi “.

Reactions: universal_fanatic
I mean as pointed out it comes down to how broadly one defines “science fiction” for me it’s much narrower than any and everything involving space faring , advanced technology , aliens , etc . It’s just like how I would say there’s more nuances than lumping both Zelda and LoTR into just both being “fantasy” when it comes to the perceptions amongst fans and the general public (Heck I would say not even some Zelda games have been the same genres of “fantasy”. Like I could add more specific descriptors to the the category i’m talking about , but also already think i’m gonna bow out and concede the point if we’re putting marvel and jp/jw into “sci fi “.
If we go with a more strict definition of sci-fi, then I'd say Universal is lacking sci-fi and Disney World is still overrepresenting.

(EDIT: OK maybe overrepresenting is a bit of an exaggeration, but I'd say they have 'enough' and definitely not underrepresented.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Palutena
I would absolutely LOVE this. Even a mini-land with Nook's Cranny/Roost/etc
Hmmmm.

Since you can’t really do a ride for Animal Crossing maybe they could tie it with Pokémon. Put Kirby in as well and you have a “cutesy” SNW expansion of KidZone where Springfield currently sits.

Feel free to hire me anytime Universal.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I really wonder if they’re selling merch for it that means this thing is getting torn down not long after opening. Would be weird to have closing merch then let it sit there for a year or two, but stranger things have happened. Also I could just be being hopeful.
Stranger Things replacing Lost Continent Confirmed!

Nintendo barely likes to admit F-Zero and Star Fox even exist. And has to be prodded to do anything with Metroid. 0 chance any of them show up in the parks.

If anything shows up outside of Mario it will be Zelda, Pokemon, and an outside chance at something like a little Kirby or Animal Crossing mini area.

As for "Zelda vs LOTR" there's absolutely no reason not to have both. But only if you can make the land based of Jackson's trilogy, and not whatever slop Zaslav's WB shovels out in a few years.
A Kidzone at Epic would be cool with a Kirby ride, I also feel that Pikmin could make a viable playground, as does Splatoon.

Reactions: Ahmanet