Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

I hate to be the naysayer but I was never a big fan of the chocolate factory movies....seemed to be influenced by a bit too many "recreational pharmaceuticals" IMO.

I hate to be the naysayer but I was never a big fan of the chocolate factory movies....seemed to be influenced by a bit too many "recreational pharmaceuticals" IMO.

:lol:

I liked the original, but I agree with someone else who said it isn't a hot property right now. I'm not sure if anyone is going to be excited for it.

First off, if they do bring Wonka into the parks to replace LC, they damn well better base it off of Gene Wilder's portrayal of the character. The remake had me gouging my freaking eyes out, I was so let down. Although the movie was a little more aesthetically pleasing, you just can't use Depp's sorry a** version of Willy Wonka. I also love Gene Wilder.

Seconnnnd, should Universal really bring Wonka into Islands? Am I the only one thinking that it sounds utterly terrible? I would literally walk from the edge of Suess Landing back towards the entrance and through Marvel/TL/JP just to get to TWWoHP.

I hate to be so damn pessimistic without even seeing what it would/could look like as a Uni creation because I have a huge amount of faith in UC. Wonka just doesn't seem like a money maker.

The pitch I heard is that it would be a HUGE multi-attraction "pavilion" styled of course to the Chocolate Factory itself surrounded by a small British village. There would be The Chocolate River Ferry, Fizzy Lifting Drink Lab, and the Glass Elevator.

Concerning the IP itself, the book is a retelling of Dante's Inferno. Showing the vices of "man" through children. Wonka represents both Virgil and The Ferryman.

No matter how grown up we make it sound...I just would not buy a ticket to go see the Chocolate factory.. Mythos and the facade of posidens furry are something grand...Imagine turning that into another seuss land? idk just doesnt make sense to me.

No matter how grown up we make it sound...I just would not buy a ticket to go see the Chocolate factory.. Mythos and the facade of posidens furry are something grand...Imagine turning that into another seuss land? idk just doesnt make sense to me.

I find what Disneyhead is throwing is much more appealing. As much as I like the Lost Continent area, it truly has just become the transition to "Harry Potter World." Most guests have no clue what Mythos or Poseidons Fury is.

I personally think it would be a great addition that would add value to both children and parents. They can both relate and it would provide experiences for everyone with no height requirement (what Uni desperately needs). Even if families don't buy tickets simply for a Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, it helps satisfy their day in the parks and keeps them coming back.

But who buys a ticket specifically for Mythos and the facade of Poseidon's Fury?

People who come to the parks will go to whatever is put there, and if it is Wonka-themed, will buy food/beverages themed to the land. UO is making a lot of money that way.

OK, with what DH said, it is more suited for LC. I could see that working because the British village would be a good transition and not be too suess like since the crazy parts will be in a building and not outside. I see the food being a hit, but not sure that merchandise would sell. I don't know that it is a popular enough brand. I mean I know people who are really into the original movie (my husband), but I don't see it a draw. I see them marketing like Simpson, won't bring people in, but once in they will spend more money.

The pitch I heard is that it would be a HUGE multi-attraction "pavilion" styled of course to the Chocolate Factory itself surrounded by a small British village. There would be The Chocolate River Ferry, Fizzy Lifting Drink Lab, and the Glass Elevator.

Concerning the IP itself, the book is a retelling of Dante's Inferno. Showing the vices of "man" through children. Wonka represents both Virgil and The Ferryman.

Wow, that sounds pretty exciting. And these attractions would suddenly up the 'family ride quotient' at IOA by a lot. And like Izzy said, the British village would fit perfectly next to Hogsmeade.

But who buys a ticket specifically for Mythos and the facade of Poseidon's Fury?

Well, Mythos was rated the #1 theme park restaurant for quite a few years. I don't purchase a ticket JUST for Mythos, but it is a big part of my day.

I see the food being a hit, but not sure that merchandise would sell. I don't know that it is a popular enough brand.

Does merchandise also include candy? The Toys R Us in Times Square has an entire Willy Wonka section that seems pretty successful.

ret-wonka_window.jpg

5516171477_a7c0235347_z.jpg

That just looks like any candy store. Although the Willy Wonka idea is great, I don't think everyone here is giving Lost Continent enough credit. It's not just a transition to Harry Potter. It's still got a decent footprint with great theming, Poseidon's Fury, a show, one of the best theme park restaurants in the world, other eateries, shops, etc. They'd be removing quite a bit here.

You had me at British Villiage...there are a lot of possibilities with that as well

and who dosen't love candy?

But remember, this is all strictly blue sky/rumor at this point. But I have heard that it has been discussed. As far as I know they still haven't nailed down the KidZone redo IPs yet and this would come after that.

Wonka would be a lot better than what's there right now
Add a nice Omnimover where Poseidon is
Put a ToT-style Glass Elevator ride where Sinbad is
Throw in a flat ride or a show and this would actually be a draw for IOA if you ask me!!

- - - Updated - - -

The Chocolate River Ferry (family boat ride)
Fizzy Lifting Drink Lab (interactive show?)
Glass Elevator (ToT style thrill ride?)

Sounds perfect to me!! This definitely shows that Comcast wants to be in league with Disney for the family market

I like the idea of a Wonkaland. Depending on how they did it, I could see this being a very popular family area...despite what we might think right now. I also don't really expect them to build it, either. Neat concept though. Thanks for sharing, DH!