The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 303 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'd be livid if I went through a Beetlejuice house and he was wearing a cloth mask lol.

Quite honestly, I am for pushing the event back to next year if they think Covid will affect the quality of the event. I love HHN as much as the next guy but I want it to be done right.

Plexiglass wouldn't be the worst, but would it be possible to have it where the scareactors are just.. ya know.. further away? Ala the Yetis above you last year.
From the COVID Entertainment thread:

So, talking about HHN and social distancing... Here’s an actual sprung layout, built directly from the CAD (I’m not telling which).

The green is a two-foot wide “Guest Path.”

The blue is “Guest Space;” the area between walls/scenic that guests have access to (I admit I cut off some key employee spots).

The red lines are the “Social Distance,” which here is only a 5ft radius off center of the Guest Path (I flubbed the math).

Purple dots are performer locations.

Basically, social distancing is near impossible in a haunt. The walls serve as the only “protection,” but there are open spaces and you almost aways have performer within 6 ft of you.

View attachment 11996

You know, I'm ashamed to say I hadn't even factored that into it. Just the selfish "I want horrah!" but this along with Legacy's info re:near impossible socially distant houses should be enough to cancel it.
It’s normal, even in a traditional year. A not insignificant percentage of people quit scaring by week three every year simply because it can be a miserable experience.

It’s easy for fans to lose perspective on what the event entails behind the scenes. And, to a degree, fans aren’t supposed to know. But that means a lot of the “well they could just do this” ideas getting thrown out in how to adjust aren’t logistically viable. The ones that “are,” are solutions that will make the event very different from what it normally is, and arguably less enjoyable.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to go through a house where every scare is behind plexiglass (or worse, pneumatic). A Beetlejuice house with latex masks instead of makeup is going to be a “lesser” house (how do you do Lydia or the dinner party?).

These are the things Universal has to think about, and fans need to start preparing for.

As a former scare actor (not HHN but a VERY popular haunt here in PA), I can't imagine what the HHN actors go through with the sheer amount of people that come through. We saw over 100k people a year at the haunt I acted at, hit about 12k in one night. It's a fun experience but it can be absolutely MISERABLE.

Not even factoring in Covid, I can see why they might not want to return. Like @Legacy responded to me above (the blueprint), social distancing just really isn't possible in a haunt.

Reactions: Robert Bliss
It’s normal, even in a traditional year. A not insignificant percentage of people quit scaring by week three every year simply because it can be a miserable experience.

Not to mention how many scareactors get sick by week three. There’s always a lot of call outs a few weeks in because of how closely scareactors work together and share break space. All it takes is for one scareactor to show up sick to infect others. I both caught something and probably spread it by not calling out week three of my year in Orlando. I powered through my sets with cough drops and herbal tea. Unlikely for that to happen again!

Not to mention how many scareactors get sick by week three. There’s always a lot of call outs a few weeks in because of how closely scareactors work together and share break space. All it takes is for one scareactor to show up sick to infect others. I both caught something and probably spread it by not calling out week three of my year in Orlando. I powered through my sets with cough drops and herbal tea. Unlikely for that to happen again!
Shoot, I literally stuffed the beak of my plague doctor masks with Vick’s coated facial tissues to help me breath when I started fighting something in Catacombs.

I don't think it is speculation to state that the event we are accustomed to will not be happening this year.

Perhaps they will find some hybrid to install, but the houses as we know them just won't be happening this year. They can definitely rethink how they work, create limited capacity (god help us all) and greater distance between TM's and guests, but the usual setup is not happening this year.

I look forward to hearing what they are thinking and planning. I am sure it won't be too long until they announce what they will be doing.

some food for thought re: HHN’s potential cancellation.

the last major outbreak was the H1N1 virus in 2009-2010. there is not an exact death toll for it, but there is reported to be a minimum of around 151,700 deaths. during both years, HHN was a go.

as of right now, there have been a total of 286,375 deaths attributed to COVID-19. a virus that has been around much shorter than H1N1 has claimed more lives than the reported minimum. with how cases are increasing and how fast florida has been re-opening, there is a high possibility of these deaths bypassing the reported maximum of 575,400 deaths from H1N1.

the point of me bringing this up is that this virus, no matter how much you believe it’s played up by the media, is more dangerous than any other modern age outbreak we’ve seen. with how efficiently it spreads, it’d be completely irresponsible if HHN was allowed to continue.

the last major outbreak was the H1N1 virus in 2009-2010. there is not an exact death toll for it, but there is reported to be a minimum of around 151,700 deaths. during both years, HHN was a go.

as of right now, there have been a total of 286,375 deaths attributed to COVID-19. a virus that has been around much shorter than H1N1 has claimed more lives than the reported minimum. with how cases are increasing and how fast florida has been re-opening, there is a high possibility of these deaths bypassing the reported maximum of 575,400 deaths from H1N1.

the point of me bringing this up is that this virus, no matter how much you believe it’s played up by the media, is more dangerous than any other modern age outbreak we’ve seen. with how efficiently it spreads, it’d be completely irresponsible if HHN was allowed to continue.
I mean, I guess we'll see

Reactions: midnighter

Im with you.

The most I see them doing is creating some scare zones and decor that can run during normal operating hours.

Agreed. People are going through the stages of grief with this thing. Some people are still in denial. I’m at the bargaining stage. Soon we’ll all accept it for what it is, come to our senses, and enjoy life when we’re on the other side of things.

Unrelated to IM talk, but I’ve been wondering a few things and I wanted to know what you guys think. I feel like it’s difficult to word this thought well, so I tried my best to simplify it through bullet points.
  • HHN 2020 is meant to be HHN 30, as it is the 30th event to occur.
  • If the event were cancelled, would they push back the content and the event title of 30 to HHN 2021, assuming that a February/March 2021 belated event doesn’t happen?
  • In this case, do you guys think that the anniversary celebration is more about thirty YEARS or thirty EVENTS?
  • More specifically, will the elements that are reliant on year counts, like the Terra Queen coming back every fifteen years, be scrapped if HHN 2020 doesn’t happen?
Can we stop with the “will it happen”? It’s really annoying right now. I think that the mods have told people to stop this talk several times before

No one's thoughts on whether HHN 30 should happen or not are invalid, but Universal does plan on HHN 30 happening. I hate to sound like a broken record, but until something changes, anticipate HHN 30 being held in 2020. Again, I know we've been strict with the COVID/HHN stuff because one simple question snowballs into a whole conversation surrounding it. So.... with that said, time to move on from the COVID/HHN talk.

It’s easy for fans to lose perspective on what the event entails behind the scenes. And, to a degree, fans aren’t supposed to know. But that means a lot of the “well they could just do this” ideas getting thrown out in how to adjust aren’t logistically viable. The ones that “are,” are solutions that will make the event very different from what it normally is, and arguably less enjoyable.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to go through a house where every scare is behind plexiglass (or worse, pneumatic). A Beetlejuice house with latex masks instead of makeup is going to be a “lesser” house (how do you do Lydia or the dinner party?).

These are the things Universal has to think about, and fans need to start preparing for.

feel exactly the same way. Living in NJ I have to be selective of what year I can go. While I planned on going this year and never been to a anniversary year if major changes for example pexi glass where to happen might need to skip. Who knows what will happen next couple months 2020 is a strange year anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.