The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 366 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t want to lock the thread as much as I’m sure anybody else dosent but it is a bit of a dilemma.

You don’t want to keep talking about COVID and ramifications in this thread, even I’m with that unless it’s absolutely a need at this point.

But then it gets to the location debate recently and it’s like “well we don’t want you guys assuming”. We have a person in the know going “well this debate is useless anyways!” when he’d just told us Beetlejuice isn’t in a soundstage. Why did you help the useless debate at that point then?

The thing is, people come to an assumption because while they may not be doing it in a quick, concise manner, they do decipher things. We get clues and we decipher them. I love clues, but getting clues is part of the issue in a way. Because then there’s a goal to strive for for the people who are bored suddenly.

COVID has really screwed the flux, because normally at this point we’d just have the one random person who’s doubting the rest of what we would know at this point, the yearly trend. But now there’s no know, so it’s this exchange of people who just want to know and people who seem to know but have their mouths stitched and cuffed for a while longer.

Well, we're at 365 pages of essentially no info so let's just keep the ball rollin :lol: I'm OK with discussion since there is nothing else ATM and it could help going forward.

First off, you're right. COVID hasn't helped and that's a big difference this year with Spec. I recognize the anomaly of it all, which is why for the past 3 months, you've seen minimal interference from the moderators.

As far as location goes - I'll try to give the best explanation to what my thought process was. I try to approach every situation with different angles, so not every decision on here is just a clear cut "black and white" decision.

As stated before, we don't know what to expect this year, we just think we know. I'm even unsure. I swear I've heard new stuff each month, especially lately, that I don't even know what to believe (COVID definitely not helping matters there, either). We've all seen it before where properties were "locked" until they weren't. In my mind, it's not a thing until it's announced. Secondly, we've all seen location doesn't matter in regards to quality. Yes, a house in a sound stage is better equipped for bungee/flyover scares - but that doesn't mean it can't be found anywhere else; but that also circles back to Point 1 - We don't know what's even happening to even guess where that type of scare is needed. There is no rhyme or reason as to where a house goes other than what A&D feels fits their needs best. For example, it's not because "lighter tone" houses go in Shrek (which I mean, Saw and Halloween 4 show that as a not being the case).

But ultimately, the convo was less about speculation as to why a house belongs in this location and became "here's my list of where I think it's going" with people spitballing - which is what led me step in. As evident with Neo's post - we have users who don't check in every day and he was turned off from 7 pages of virtually pointless speculation. We have to keep them in mind, too. So with those POVs compounded, we thought it was best to say "OK, here's the line".

Well, we're at 365 pages of essentially no info so let's just keep the ball rollin :lol: I'm OK with discussion since there is nothing else ATM and it could help going forward.

First off, you're right. COVID hasn't helped and that's a big difference this year with Spec. I recognize the anomaly of it all, which is why for the past 3 months, you've seen minimal interference from the moderators.

As far as location goes - I'll try to give the best explanation to what my thought process was. I try to approach every situation with different angles, so not every decision on here is just a clear cut "black and white" decision.

As stated before, we don't know what to expect this year, we just think we know. I'm even unsure. I swear I've heard new stuff each month, especially lately, that I don't even know what to believe (COVID definitely not helping matters there, either). We've all seen it before where properties were "locked" until they weren't. In my mind, it's not a thing until it's announced. Secondly, we've all seen location doesn't matter in regards to quality. Yes, a house in a sound stage is better equipped for bungee/flyover scares - but that doesn't mean it can't be found anywhere else; but that also circles back to Point 1 - We don't know what's even happening to even guess where that type of scare is needed. There is no rhyme or reason as to where a house goes other than what A&D feels fits their needs best. For example, it's not because "lighter tone" houses go in Shrek (which I mean, Saw and Halloween 4 show that as a not being the case).

But ultimately, the convo was less about speculation as to why a house belongs in this location and became "here's my list of where I think it's going" with people spitballing - which is what led me step in. As evident with Neo's post - we have users who don't check in every day and he was turned off from 7 pages of virtually pointless speculation. We have to keep them in mind, too. So with those POVs compounded, we thought it was best to say "OK, here's the line".

A dumb suggestion, that may have been brought up before, and is probably too late for this year:

Has their ever been any consideration for, shall we say, HHN Thread “honorary” mods of sorts? Pseudo-“mods” who could just stick here. I believe you’ve stated (one of you did) that this is the hardest thread yearly, and it’s not hard to believe.

Obviously, the mods we have would still come in here. But just having an extra face or two here to...”steer”? May be helpful.

And to be clear, this is not me submitting my application. :lol:

A dumb suggestion, that may have been brought up before, and is probably too late for this year:

Has their ever been any consideration for, shall we say, HHN Thread “honorary” mods of sorts? Pseudo-“mods” who could just stick here. I believe you’ve stated (one of you did) that this is the hardest thread yearly, and it’s not hard to believe.

Obviously, the mods we have would still come in here. But just having an extra face or two here to...”steer”? May be helpful.

And to be clear, this is not me submitting my application.

Well, we did put a call out for more mod help (which we were actually going to finalize tomorrow) so that should help. Beyond that, anyone can try to help steer and keep the ship right. The mods may have the "Power" but it still is a community. Gotta rely on the users, too.

I don’t want to lock the thread as much as I’m sure anybody else dosent but it is a bit of a dilemma.

You don’t want to keep talking about COVID and ramifications in this thread, even I’m with that unless it’s absolutely a need at this point.

But then it gets to the location debate recently and it’s like “well we don’t want you guys assuming”. We have a person in the know going “well this debate is useless anyways!” when he’d just told us Beetlejuice isn’t in a soundstage. Why did you help the useless debate at that point then?

The thing is, people come to an assumption because while they may not be doing it in a quick, concise manner, they do decipher things. We get clues and we decipher them. I love clues, but getting clues is part of the issue in a way. Because then there’s a goal to strive for for the people who are bored suddenly.

COVID has really screwed the flux, because normally at this point we’d just have the one random person who’s doubting the rest of what we would know at this point, the yearly trend. But now there’s no know, so it’s this exchange of people who just want to know and people who seem to know but have their mouths stitched and cuffed for a while longer.
For me, it's a curse to know. Really. I want to just tell you guys already so we can start speculating about what's going IN the damn houses, rather than what the properties are. Also, I ONLY confirm, in a way, what others have already said and state excitement for what I've heard. But as far as the actual properties, I only say something if someone else (with knowledge) does first.

And to be clear, this is not me submitting my application. :lol:
So, since I’m getting talked around, here’s my stance on things.

My clues are for what is expected to appear at HHN. I do them to, as you say, drive conversation. Without someone giving something, some sort of info, then one of two things happens: 1) The boards dry up to nothing (like Nightmares), or 2) It becomes an uncontrollable nightmare of baseless guessing (like the locations discussion) and completely irrelevant conversation (like the Iron Maiden discussion). Neither are enjoyable. Both actually hinders the growth of the HHN community. That is, unequivocally, something I don’t want. That’s why I do what do. It’s also why I stop once a leak or a spec map gets posted. There’s something to discuss.

Now, what about details like location? Why do I consider wild guessing about locations irrelevant?

First, I consider most “wild guessing” noise that drives people away while muddying active speculation. To me, any wild guessing is irrelevant. I’m actually really consistent in that mentality. The location discussion was just guessing. All of the reasons were “popular IPs at the front of the park,” which isn’t the primary reason A&D picks locations. In ALL of that discussion about locations, no one ever said, “here’s a scene in Beetlejuice I expect them to recreate that cannot happen in a tent.” So, when I ask, “Why does location matter,” I want someone to say, “They can’t rig a flying Lydia for ‘Jump in the Line‘ in a tent.” Because then someone is actually thinking like a designer and saying, “If I want to do this, then I need this.”

What’s happened this year is that once people started figuring out one puzzle (“what’s coming”), they start trying to figure out the next puzzle (“Where do they go”). There’s no real opportunity to breath and enjoy the moment when you know what’s coming but not what they’ll entail. What scenes can be in a 30 year anniversary house? What moments in Beetlejuice will A&D try and make scares? (I’ve heard about one that isn’t in my version that I’m disappointed I missed.) We’ve argued endlessly about if Billie Eilish is appropriate enough for HHN, but no one has presented a hypothetical Billie house. There’s no actual enjoyment.

Ringwraith touches on the desire to just say it so you can start speculation on what’s in the houses, but you already have that opportunity. And that’s actually the most enjoyable part.

Now, that is a double-edge sword where what we imagine may be far better than what’s actually built (Ghostbusters), but as long as people remember that it’s speculation, then there’s no harm in it. Problem is, because the tone of current spec is so, “right and wrong,” X then Y then Z, everything that could even be fun “dream-spec” gets treated as “this is happening.” That forces [me] to remind people that, no, it’s speculation. If I don’t, people get excited for something that isn’t true (which also hurts the community).

I’m probably more culpable in the current state of things than I like. My clues, by virtue of having “right and wrong” answers, creates a similar environment. Like Ringwraith said, knowing is a curse. My “issue” with things as they stand is that, while wild guessing may be fun for the people guessing, it’s a lot less fun for everyone else.

But, for the sake of clarity:

Beetlejuice is in B79 (Old Parade)
30 Years Anniversary house looks to be in MiB.

So, since I’m getting talked around, here’s my stance on things.
First, I consider most “wild guessing” noise that drives people away while muddying active speculation. To me, any wild guessing is irrelevant. I’m actually really consistent in that mentality. The location discussion was just guessing. All of the reasons were “popular IPs at the front of the park,” which isn’t the primary reason A&D picks locations. In ALL of that discussion about locations, no one ever said, “here’s a scene in Beetlejuice I expect them to recreate that cannot happen in a tent.” So, when I ask, “Why does location matter,” I want someone to say, “They can’t rig a flying Lydia for ‘Jump in the Line‘ in a tent.” Because then someone is actually thinking like a designer and saying, “If I want to do this, then I need this.”
Thank you for clarifying this. I’m definitely guilty of the mindless speculation (more like guessing) on locations. This is really my first year in the HHN community so I’m a little bit susceptible to be over-excited about everything since I have so much to learn about this event, but I’ll definitely try to tone down my guessing. I didn’t realize how annoying it can come off to people who just want to actually speculate about the event.

Reactions: Ringwraith
I’ve been noticing that the houses being speculated on this forum, are already on the HNNightmares speculation map, just different names. For example: Dungeon of terror = 30 years anniversary house. Terra cruentas = Icon house. I could be wrong but just a observation. Also, I don’t remember who it was but I believe someone “hinted” the facade of the anniversary house being Dungeon of terror.

So a 30 year house predominantly featuring houses from the past 4 years...?
I think from that list, Scarecrow would be a nice and likely addition. It came too late for any of the other anniversary houses so it would make for a nice callback. Plus it would make sense to include, it was very popular with both guests and A&D. But I’d assume they’d have to include houses earlier than that. I definitely think it will at least get a reference.

Reactions: SirAustin77
I think from that list, Scarecrow would be a nice and likely addition. It came too late for any of the other anniversary houses so it would make for a nice callback. Plus it would make sense to include, it was very popular with both guests and A&D. But I’d assume they’d have to include houses earlier than that. I definitely think it will at least get a reference.

I think it’s safe to speculate Scarecrow could be coming since the only image released was Scarecrow-related. Just don’t know in what capacity.

After seeing what they did with House of 1000 Corpses, I'm not even upset that the Anniversary House may be going in MIB.

On top of Scarecrow, I'm hoping to see some Winter's Night or Saws n Steam. Would be sorta cool to see some scarezones get recreated into a room? Vamp (the good one) especially.

Even if it's just icons I'll be happy. I missed 25 and will never forgive myself. :(

So a 30 year house predominantly featuring houses from the past 4 years...?

Good point. Maybe just a few on that list would appear, with scenes from even further back houses like the original Slaughterhouse.

I’ve been noticing that the houses being speculated on this forum, are already on the HNNightmares speculation map, just different names. For example: Dungeon of terror = 30 years anniversary house. Terra cruentas = Icon house. I could be wrong but just a observation. Also, I don’t remember who it was but I believe someone “hinted” the facade of the anniversary house being Dungeon of terror.

Oh gosh, I didn't think about that. Starting with the Dungeon of Terror is definitely a great idea.

The beginning for choices of the first few years of HHN and some of the later years with icons and other characters here and there. I’d love to see how they’ll do it. :)

Also Beetlejuice in B79 gets me excited! There's plenty of room for a facade, Dante's Inferno Room, and the Netherworld with a giant Sandworm puppet.

Another thought: Didn't someone mention that a steel structure was going into B79? Flying Lydia maybe?

Last edited:

So, a while back I had posted an idea for what I thought a Beetlejuice house might look like, and was going to make this exact claim about flying Lydia until I saw several posts from several users that really harshly lambasted some other users for trying to speculate house locations. I was actively afraid to post my thought here because of fear that I would be kicked out, or perhaps banned, or even responsible for locking the forum because location speculation was now suddenly on the list of taboos.

I feel quite silly now that I didn’t voice my opinion, but I just wanted to bring to light that, perhaps, if people are afraid to post their relevant, non-COVID thoughts, there ought to be some clear setting of expectations so that everybody remains happy.

I know I’ve discussed a Dream Beetlejuice house before, but for the record, I think Beetlejuice has the highest possibility of being affected the LEAST by the virus, if I am allowed to discuss in these terms. I know I am jumping into the fire, but I am NOT here to discuss “if/when”, I want to speculate SCENES from a house we have been generously been gifted by our insiders. With the possibility of the Waiting Room being staffed with puppets, Miss Argentina and Juno able to be effective from a further distance with the correct effective costuming, the possibility of a pane of glass between us and the Maitlands (and their “sheet” forms possibly bring some sort of mannequin reveal), and the SandWorm being a puppet, the house seems designed for far-away scares. Day-O would truly be an acting exercise with no need for real closeness, possibly augmented with a great sound cue, quickly shifting lighting, and puppets, and Jump In The Line would be a great socially-distanced finale, with the lead characters floating and waving us goodbye with a few “post-credits” jump scares at the end. Each time I think about this house, I just think of how difficult Beetlejuice himself will be to convey, because his essence is so intrinsically “touchy-feely”, which is part of the thing that makes him creepy. I imagine a scene in the middle under the neon where he is a “barker” character, but other than that I find it hard to see a house where he doesn’t get in your face and openly mock you for being scared of him.

I also hate to say it, but this year would be a very good year for SAW to come, and I don’t mean to baselessly speculate. Because of SPIRAL, sure, but really because the scenes in that movies are presentational “scenes”. There are less jumps in a SAW house because the victims are tied to their traps. The horror comes from the scenes. This is less a post about the property SAW and more about the idea of scenes on timers in houses. I expect a LOT of the upcoming houses to function like this, with set-pieces doing the scaring and actors assisting, rather than in previous years when it might have been the other way around.

EDIT: For what it’s worth, I imagine HIVE and Twisted Tradition, as well as whatever other short stories the UO Blog puts out, will somehow be represented in the event. Maybe there is a scare zone outside of the Anniversary house with some these characters featured, or maybe the storylines were given so that they can tie into the app in some way, giving true fans some story-shading of a “quest” for bigger impact.

Also my gosh, if we’re going to start getting everyone riled about some “things” coming to an anniversary house, the thread is going to go to pot with 5 pages of “The Thing” references. But if it happens I’ll have been the first.

Last edited:
So, a while back I had posted an idea for what I thought a Beetlejuice house might look like, and was going to make this exact claim about flying Lydia until I saw several posts from several users that really harshly lambasted some other users for trying to speculate house locations. I was actively afraid to post my thought here because of fear that I would be kicked out, or perhaps banned, or even responsible for locking the forum because location speculation was now suddenly on the list of taboos.

I feel quite silly now that I didn’t voice my opinion, but I just wanted to bring to light that, perhaps, if people are afraid to post their relevant, non-COVID thoughts, there ought to be some clear setting of expectations so that everybody remains happy.

I know I’ve discussed a Dream Beetlejuice house before, but for the record, I think Beetlejuice has the highest possibility of being affected the LEAST by the virus, if I am allowed to discuss in these terms. I know I am jumping into the fire, but I am NOT here to discuss “if/when”, I want to speculate SCENES from a house we have been generously been gifted by our insiders. With the possibility of the Waiting Room being staffed with puppets, Miss Argentina and Juno able to be effective from a further distance with the correct effective costuming, the possibility of a pane of glass between us and the Maitlands (and their “sheet” forms possibly bring some sort of mannequin reveal), and the SandWorm being a puppet, the house seems designed for far-away scares. Day-O would truly be an acting exercise with no need for real closeness, possibly augmented with a great sound cue, quickly shifting lighting, and puppets, and Jump In The Line would be a great socially-distanced finale, with the lead characters floating and waving us goodbye with a few “post-credits” jump scares at the end. Each time I think about this house, I just think of how difficult Beetlejuice himself will be to convey, because his essence is so intrinsically “touchy-feely”, which is part of the thing that makes him creepy. I imagine a scene in the middle under the neon where he is a “barker” character, but other than that I find it hard to see a house where he doesn’t get in your face and openly mock you for being scared of him.

I also hate to say it, but this year would be a very good year for SAW to come, and I don’t mean to baselessly speculate. Because of SPIRAL, sure, but really because the scenes in that movies are presentational “scenes”. There are less jumps in a SAW house because the victims are tied to their traps. The horror comes from the scenes. This is less a post about the property SAW and more about the idea of scenes on timers in houses. I expect a LOT of the upcoming houses to function like this, with set-pieces doing the scaring and actors assisting, rather than in previous years when it might have been the other way around.

EDIT: For what it’s worth, I imagine HIVE and Twisted Tradition, as well as whatever other short stories the UO Blog puts out, will somehow be represented in the event. Maybe there is a scare zone outside of the Anniversary house with some these characters featured, or maybe the storylines were given so that they can tie into the app in some way, giving true fans some story-shading of a “quest” for bigger impact.

Also my gosh, if we’re going to start getting everyone riled about some “things” coming to an anniversary house, the thread is going to go to pot with 5 pages of “The Thing” references. But if it happens I’ll have been the first.

Having just rewatched Beetlejuice when it was added to Netflix, one scene that I always thought that could be included was the scene when the Maitlands first walk through to visit Juno and the guy that has been run over whizzes past. He could easily be a form of mannequin on a zip wire flung back and forward.

beetlejuice2.png

First off, I like your post. You’re speculating and dream and having fun with it, so thank you for that.

I want to address two things (not in a chiding way, so please don’t interpret it like that): First off, the “lambasting” about locations was the result of posters just making lists of possible house locations. When they were told their guesses were incorrect, they (or someone else) would change a house or two on the list and guess again. That’s what *I* was trying to stop. Your post could have driven some logical discussion, and I’m sorry the tone of the moment prevented that.

Second, the 30 Years house is unlikely to have any IPs in it. It’s all originals.

I’ve already heard a couple of “things” that could be in it from 20 and earlier.
It seems like the house would have to be rather long to briefly cover 30 years. Would MIB tent have enough room to cover some of the houses from all 30? I personally think that it would make Sense to do 20 and forward, because that is what’s fresh on people’s minds.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Status
Not open for further replies.