Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal is kicking in $5 million extra into the Jurassic World: Dominion budget for COVID-related costs, including tons of tests. A lot of interesting stuff in here, including about other ways that the budget has been inflated due to the pandemic.
Masks for all the dinosaurs must have been very costly

• Haha
Reactions: Mad Dog
It is an interesting note how budget inflations may make films cost up to $10mil more, adding like 3/4 marvel movies if you're Disney, that can run costs up. Movie interesting is going to be very interesting to follow over the next few years, everything I feel is going to change to a degree its kinda wild how fast and sudden it may happen.

It’ll be interesting what numbers look like for PVOD films once new movies are coming out in theaters again. If they continue to release small-budget films that may not do big box office anyway I see absolute success. I can’t see bigger budget movies skipping theaters.

In a move that should surprise no one, SpongeBob's theatrical run is cancelled in favor of going VOD and streaming on CBS All-Access next year.

I imagine this is how the theater chains must be feeling at the moment.

giphy.gif

In a move that should surprise no one, SpongeBob's theatrical run is cancelled in favor of going VOD and streaming on CBS All-Access next year.

I imagine this is how the theater chains must be feeling at the moment.

giphy.gif
I think there's room for the big blockbuster types at the theater and low-to-mid level films that otherwise wouldn't make much profit in theaters on PVOD. Both can exist and it will probably make everyone happier. Parents not having to leave the house for a new Trolls, Scoob or Spongebob movie? That's a dream come true.

It will be very interesting how PVOD numbers and how box office numbers look once the theaters are back open. It's very evident that the moves to PVOD (outside of Trolls) are pretty much just smaller budgeted fare and even including Trolls, everything has had a production budget of $90M or less. Studios have made a very heavily concerted effort to make sure tentpole films are sticking to the theatrical model, so as long as theaters have those on their schedule, I don't think they need to worry THAT much.

Meanwhile Universal release the Trolls movie on Blu-Ray ... in 3D! Its been ages since I've seen a US-sold 3D disk (usually I get them from overseas)

Reactions: awhen
Meanwhile Universal release the Trolls movie on Blu-Ray ... in 3D! Its been ages since I've seen a US-sold 3D disk (usually I get them from overseas)
I will say regarding Trolls, that was incredibly smart of them wwhat they did in never backing down from the $19.99 rental. They're still charging that as a rental price to this day I believe with no option to buy. So by only making it rental only, it kept another revenue stream open to them, which is selling those Blu-Rays since no one actually ever bought the film.

I will say regarding Trolls, that was incredibly smart of them wwhat they did in never backing down from the $19.99 rental. They're still charging that as a rental price to this day I believe with no option to buy. So by only making it rental only, it kept another revenue stream open to them, which is selling those Blu-Rays since no one actually ever bought the film.

It will go to traditional pre-COVID new release rental prices in the standard 2 week window after the blu-ray goes on sale, last I checked.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I think there's room for the big blockbuster types at the theater and low-to-mid level films that otherwise wouldn't make much profit in theaters on PVOD. Both can exist and it will probably make everyone happier. Parents not having to leave the house for a new Trolls, Scoob or Spongebob movie? That's a dream come true.

It will be very interesting how PVOD numbers and how box office numbers look once the theaters are back open. It's very evident that the moves to PVOD (outside of Trolls) are pretty much just smaller budgeted fare and even including Trolls, everything has had a production budget of $90M or less. Studios have made a very heavily concerted effort to make sure tentpole films are sticking to the theatrical model, so as long as theaters have those on their schedule, I don't think they need to worry THAT much.

Even a box-office bomb will still make money for the theater, if not the studio. Losing those completely would be a sting for AMC & Co. regardless of what a movie's final take would be.

Even a box-office bomb will still make money for the theater, if not the studio. Losing those completely would be a sting for AMC & Co. regardless of what a movie's final take would be.
How does a box office bomb make money for the theaters (especially if in it's slot, there's a bigger blockbuster opening there in the future)? Box office bombs mean the studio loses money, the theaters don't make much from tickets anyway and if no one's coming to see the movie, then concession sales are way lower than they otherwise would be. Box office bombs are losers for everyone.

Also, you're acting like the movie theaters are rolling in the deep when in reality, the movie theater business has a razor thin profit margin.

Reactions: Legacy
How does a box office bomb make money for the theaters (especially if in it's slot, there's a bigger blockbuster opening there in the future)? Box office bombs mean the studio loses money, the theaters don't make much from tickets anyway and if no one's coming to see the movie, then concession sales are way lower than they otherwise would be. Box office bombs are losers for everyone.

Also, you're acting like the movie theaters are rolling in the deep when in reality, the movie theater business has a razor thin profit margin.

My point is that the theaters would probably prefer to make a little money as opposed to none at all. Let's say that Artemis Fowl stayed on as a theatrical release and got 30 people for a 7 PM showing opening night. Half of that audience likely would have gotten some sort of concession. But because it dropped on Disney+, they lost all that potential revenue, however small it may have been.

I agree that the odds are stacked against theaters and that they stand to make little profit in general. But every little bit helps in a time when they're really gonna need all the assistance they can get.

My point is that the theaters would probably prefer to make a little money as opposed to none at all. Let's say that Artemis Fowl stayed on as a theatrical release and got 30 people for a 7 PM showing opening night. Half of that audience likely would have gotten some sort of concession. But because it dropped on Disney+, they lost all that potential revenue, however small it may have been.

I agree that the odds are stacked against theaters and that they stand to make little profit in general. But every little bit helps in a time when they're really gonna need all the assistance they can get.
Hey, go back to the beginning of this thread, I was vehemently fighting in favor of the theaters. But you've gotta be realistic - things have changed. The theaters are just going to have to adapt to this new way of business where some movies just skip theaters for PVOD.

Option to buy comes tomorrow.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additionally, Jeff Shell of Universal is big on changing things up...he originally wanted Hateful Eight released directly to Iphones skipping theatrical all together in front of Quentin Tarantino...

NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell Has No Time for Hollywood Egos,”
by WSJ’s Joe Flint and Erich Schwartzel in Los Angeles: “Quentin Tarantino proposed a costly idea during a pitch to Universal Pictures executives for his 2015 western ‘The Hateful Eight.’ Mr. Tarantino, a die-hard cinephile, wanted to release the movie on 70-millimeter theatrical prints that required special projectors for the big screen.

“Jeff Shell, at the time the head of the Universal studio, voiced his own pitch. ‘What if we released it on iPhones?’ he said. ‘Great,’ Mr. Tarantino replied, and stormed out of the meeting.

The encounter captured Mr. Shell’s pragmatic view—a Harvard M.B.A. grad with a disregard for Hollywood ego-massaging and a willingness to toss aside business practices he sees as conventional or out of date.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, AMC looking foolish when the theatres that are still open are mainly making money off Universal films with Universal giving the theaters 60+% of ticket sales...
1..Jurassic Park (Uni) 230 (+98) theaters, 3-day: $517,600 (+226%),lifetime cume: $404.3M /wk no. 1,411

2…Jaws (Uni) 187 theaters, 3-day: $516,300, lifetime cume: $263.9M/wk. no. 2,349

3..The Invisible Man (Uni/Blumhouse) 157 (+10) theaters, 3-day: $201,300 (-47%), cume $68.4M/Wk 17

4..Trolls World Tour (Uni) 289 (+41) theaters 3-day: $160,000 (-42%), cume: $3.9M/Wk 11

5..The Hunt (Uni) 95 (+12) theaters, 3-day: $136,700 (-40%), cume: $8.4M/Wk 15

6..Back to the Future (Uni) 122 theaters (+91), 3-day: $131,600 (-50%)/Running lifetime cume: $214.3M/wk 1,825

7. Followed (Atlas) 42 theaters, 3-day: $127,231/Wk 1

8..E.T. (Uni) 100 theaters (+22), 3-day: $126,100 (-35%)/lifetime cume: $435.4M/Wk 1,985

9..Jumanji: The Next Level (Sony) 97 theaters (+5) 3-day: $117,900 (-44%), cume: $323.2M/Wk 28

10..The Goonies (WB) 170 theaters (+34) 3-day: $110,850 (-28%), lifetime cume: $65.6M/Wk 1,829

Last edited:
So the studio who authorized the expenditure of getting 70mm film stock, paying Panavision to restore and use lenses that hadn't been used in over 40 years (Ultra Panavision), and watching a film be edited into two version (70mm roadshow, 35mm standard) wanted to release it to 6" iPhones AFTER all that had been done? Thats like filming in IMAX for a portable TV. The whole idea of doing films like that is to make them stand out from Netflix. LOL

TENET needs to make at least $800M to break even. Not make money, just get into the black. That's all you need to know about why studios are (mostly) sticking with theaters and not trying out big blockblusters on PVOD. The amount of money they would have to charge on PVOD to even get close to the black would be crazy high. Granted, it needs to make $800M because of the split that theaters take. On VOD it would still have to probably make $600M, which is a ridiculous amount of money.

Reactions: Grabnar and Clive
TENET needs to make at least $800M to break even. Not make money, just get into the black. That's all you need to know about why studios are (mostly) sticking with theaters and not trying out big blockblusters on PVOD. The amount of money they would have to charge on PVOD to even get close to the black would be crazy high. Granted, it needs to make $800M because of the split that theaters take. On VOD it would still have to probably make $600M, which is a ridiculous amount of money.
I can'r see Nolan, who is such a stickler for details that nowadays he not only shoots on film, but in 70mm, agree to have his film reduced to a 16:9 TV screen. I'd be shocked if his contract doesn't forbid something like that. (heck, most of TENANT was filmed in 70mm IMAX - the highest resolution possible, much more than even digital theaters can show)

I don’t see it making that even in theaters. Inception made just over that world-wide.

Reactions: Nick

17 Day window.
Seems like a good deal, though I'm surprised that AMC will profit off of PVOD releases. I suppose it also puts AMC in a better position than other theater chains, as they will make profit off of Universal PVOD releases while other theaters will simply lose smaller movies after the 17 day window?