Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 94 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One Saturday does not constitute alarm and expecting 100 percent mask wearing compliance at all times is silly

Crowds are expected, and a good thing. Reservations do not change how long the line is for crepes. TMs continue to enforce where they can.

An extra hour has been added to the park hours, TMs have been talked to, the mass hysteria is uncalled for.

I think that's about it. I'm honestly not sure what else there is to say other than the crowds are coming back and it's a good thing.

I wouldn't be carrying on about it if I didn't think that news sites like WESH view boards like this and other blogs/Twitter for theme park news.

If you all want the parks to be shut down again then that's fine, and I suppose level of 'concern' is dependent on the individual.

You're jumping to some extreme conclusions here. No one is saying "shut the parks down". No one is in "mass hysterics". No one is expecting 100% compliance. I've even clarified to state this (i.e. "No one is expecting perfection, but things aren't acceptable currently either."). I simply wanted to discuss the big jump in crowd size this weekend without being shutdown and laughed out of the thread essentially. Asking for small tweaks potentially is far from calling it all a mess and saying "shut it all down". You keep dragging TMs into this like it's their fault which is just blatantly wrong and I would be really interested to hear how you think a single extra hour will dissipate the crowds during the peak of the day.

You're jumping to some extreme conclusions here. No one is saying "shut the parks down". No one is in "mass hysterics". I simply wanted to discuss the big jump in crowd size this weekend without being shutdown and laughed out of the thread essentially. Asking for small tweaks potentially is far from calling it all a mess and saying "shut it all down". You keep dragging TMs into this like it's their fault which is just blatantly wrong and I would be really interested to hear how you think a single extra hour will dissipate the crowds during the peak of the day.
It's a delicate situation, I know you've been around a while. News sites pick up Alicia's stuff all the time..

It's not uncommon and enough of it will lead to negative decisions

TMs get the brunt of the hardship, if anything I'm standing up for the great job they are doing

Killing capacity again will lead to more layoffs down the road

An extra hour may not be the "fix"...But the things everyone has a problem with are rather nebulous in the first place

Are you concerned about crowding or mask compliance? One is needed for the park to continue functioning, one is unachievable.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
It's a delicate situation, I know you've been around a while. News sites pick up Alicia's stuff all the time..

It's not uncommon and enough of it will lead to negative decisions

TMs get the brunt of the hardship, if anything I'm standing up for the great job they are doing

Killing capacity again will lead to more layoffs down the road

An extra hour may not be the "fix"...But the things everyone has a problem with are rather nebulous in the first place

Are you concerned about crowding or mask compliance? One is needed for the park to continue functioning, one is unachievable.
I honestly don't think the parks are reversing course at this stage in the game no matter what the news may say. Maybe if it was within the first month of reopening. At this point, they'd just put out a generic little statement as they have with their tweets and like they did when the VBay crowd image went viral months ago. Something like:

"We were made aware of this situation and immediately made the appropriate changes to remedy it and ensure that it will not happen again. Universal Orlando holds guest safety to the highest standard."

As for the last question, I already covered my opinion:

"It would be one thing if people were taking their masks off when the parks had good distancing and capacity at play, but Universal was absolutely overly-crowded this weekend. "

Perhaps expanding security to HHN levels might help enforce distancing and mask compliance. I know whenever I visit a park, food and beverage (and to a smaller extent merchandise) locations can easily get overwhelmed by impatient guests who want to be served as quickly as possible. All park employees try their best to keep lines moving, which is daunting enough on certain days, and expecting them to be playing babysitter on guests is too much to put on them.

Reactions: Frogki
Perhaps expanding security to HHN levels might help enforce distancing and mask compliance. I know whenever I visit a park, food and beverage (and to a smaller extent merchandise) locations can easily get overwhelmed by impatient guests who want to be served as quickly as possible. All park employees try their best to keep lines moving, which is daunting enough on certain days, and expecting them to be playing babysitter on guests is too much to put on them.
I agree completely, the "having someone stand out and yell" method that Universal often employs is not the best

Was reading the comments on bio’s parking booth pictures and one person interjected that Uni has become very lax on mask wearing and Disney is much more strict. Is this really true of Universal’s handling of things recently; that many are walking around without masks fully on?
The general consensus from everywhere that I’ve heard is that the higher crowds are in a certain place (this goes for all of the major Orlando parks) the less enforcement you see (simply because it’s harder to enforce with big crowds). This is why these things are bad on weekends at places like Universal and Disney Springs.
That said, I think Universal could stand to implement TMs similar to Disney’s “Incredi-crew” that specifically target crowded areas (I’ve heard that group has been one of the biggest reasons why crowd photos at WDW are on the rare side).
I contacted Universal to let them know that their current security queue is not working. I want them to be as good as they can be.

I just didn’t see many mask issues on Wednesday. Except that one guy that vaped in the Fallon preshow.

Like I said though, every experience will vary. Who you encounter in your visit will be different than who I encounter. And it wasn’t nearly as busy when I was there as it was yesterday.

I agree though, TMs are trying. I’ve had wonderful TM experiences.
The only complaint that I’ve heard from just about everyone going to Uni on a weekday is about Security, and it’s at its worst when they go down to one or two lanes in the afternoon. I really struggle to figure out how Uni went from the best security experience in Orlando to the worst just because of distancing measures.
The way they’re actually going to try to “solve“ it, for better or for worse, is by bringing back demand pricing. Saturday tickets are probably going to cost more.

If it doesn’t dissuade folks from coming, at least Universal will make a few extra bucks.
Demand pricing will not be able to work. AP’s and ticket deals like the Buy a Fay are the main reason that Saturday’s have a such a huge swell while people are off work. The only way to fix the issue is to limit those groups.

It would be unpopular, but something as simple as blocking Seasonal Passes on Saturday’s (or limiting their entry time to after 2) would definitely put a dent.
The real bet though would be to roll out a reservation system for Saturday’s (and maybe Sunday’s too). Unfortunately, Universal’s IT infrastructure would not really be able to accommodate that. One of these days I’ll have to write a post about how the reservation system was developed for WDW and why it wasn’t developed at UOR. Neither had much of a choice in the path they ended up pursuing due to preexisting factors.

I guess it would feel extreme but why not just lifetime ban anyone who does not put on a mask after being asked. Lifetime bans don't even have to be lifetime (found this out because of bloggers got a lifetime ban and appealed it)

That said, I think Universal could stand to implement TMs similar to Disney’s “Incredi-crew” that specifically target crowded areas (I’ve heard that group has been one of the biggest reasons why crowd photos at WDW are on the rare side.

They do have Guest Experience Support TMs scattered throughout the park that are available to answer questions and enforce the safety measures. White shirts, khaki shorts. Personally, I think it would be a good idea to utilize the TMs that work at the temporarily closed attractions as Guest Experience Support. Definitely could use more of them on weekends.

Crowds are expected, and a good thing.
Until the "Coronavirus Outbreak Tied to Crowded Universal Studios" story happens somewhere down the road

A crowded day of mostly locals (who spend less) is not going to give the parks a boost. Especially not when stories of crowds, lax mask wearing, and long wait times reach potential vacationers.

Last edited:
Until the "Coronavirus Outbreak Tied to Crowded Universal Studios" story happens somewhere down the road

A crowded day of mostly locals (who spend less) is not going to give the parks a boost. Especially not when stories of crowds, lax mask wearing, and long wait times reach potential vacationers.
As someone who works in the Orlando area, I've worked at almost all parks in the area and I straight up have gone from working there before COVID to no longer feeling remotely comfortable working in the parks (and quite frankly, I don't even like going period right now). I don't even care anymore that i'm being threatened with my job because I've told them I won't go in anyway unless they fix some of their protocols.

I gave the parks a try as in going back to work. It's not being handled all that well. And it's not even that I have to worry about guests wearing masks loosely, it's that my worst fears were confirmed and break spaces are an absolute mess with it just kinda being - for lack of a better phrasing - a Covid party. So many people so close to each other all the time... it's only a matter of time before someone ends up with a problem. I don't need to be dealing with that.

As someone who works in the Orlando area, I've worked at almost all parks in the area and I straight up have gone from working there before COVID to no longer feeling remotely comfortable working in the parks (and quite frankly, I don't even like going period right now). I don't even care anymore that i'm being threatened with my job because I won't go in anyway.

I gave the parks a try as in going back to work. It's not being handled all that well. And it's not even that I have to worry about guests wearing masks loosely, it's that my worst fears were confirmed and break spaces are an absolute mess with it just kinda being - for lack of a better phrasing - a Covid party. So many people so close to each other all the time... it's only a matter of time before someone ends up with a problem. I don't need to be dealing with that.

I'm right there with you. My site has a couple of dozen cumulative confirmed cases and 2 confirmed deaths and yet we're still just rolling along with people who don't need to be on site coming on site with spotty at best mask usage. I really don't understand the moronic and entirely blaise attitude being thrown around right now AT ALL. I hate it.

I don't see a "If you are caught non compiling with our Mask policies, you will be permenantly banned from entering Universal Orlando Resort. These are difficult times and we are asking ALL patrons to help us in the fight against Covid and the safety of others around you. Our Team Members will be around to ensure these policies are enforced and corrected".

I belevie I read Delta is giving a person 5 warnings before a lifetime ban. Now, 5 seems way over excessive as after 2 attempts the person is clearly not going to wear a mask. Insitute that policy, make it VERY public, and actually enact it.

I don't see how that is negative PR in ANYWAY whatsoever. Doing all they can to keep their guests safe including banning some of them if necessary, I don't see the issue whatsoever. This problem is only going to get worse as time goes on so I do not know what they are waiting for.

If Saturday showed me anything, it’s that maybe whatever limited capacity Universal is restricting the parks to during this time, isn’t limited enough.
This is what I said on Saturday - if “limited capacity“ leads to 90-150 posted wait times everywhere, then what’s the limit? Sounds like they’ve moved on from an attraction capacity-based limit to a social-distance based capacity, which is honestly probably close to what the fire marshall says they can have on a normal day.

I really struggle to figure out how Uni went from the best security experience in Orlando to the worst just because of distancing measures.
Cost cutting.

Demand pricing will not be able to work. AP’s and ticket deals like the Buy a Fay are the main reason that Saturday’s have a such a huge swell while people are off work. The only way to fix the issue is to limit those groups.
Exactly this - demand pricing doesn’t solve a thing because nobody is showing up on one day tickets.

One of these days I’ll have to write a post about how the reservation system was developed for WDW and why it wasn’t developed at UOR.
It‘s just Fastpass. If Virtual Line wouldn't work for that purpose, they could be “selling” non-admit tickets like SeaWorld (if their online store could handle it, which is a big if). WDW’s passholder reservation problem is rooted in having so many hotel rooms that could be booked at any time and the folks at Team Disney (edit: forgot they’re all at home) are staring at years of worthless booking pace and cancellation rate data.

There‘s room to get creative with WDW’s park reservation system - they’re just not for whatever reason.

Exactly this - demand pricing doesn’t solve a thing because nobody is showing up on one day tickets.
That's why I put "solve" in quotes. It won't solve the problem, but they'll pretend that's why they're doing it. And all the parks are selling at least some one-day tickets... Especially Universal, ya' know, for that pay for a day get all year free deal.
The way they’re actually going to try to “solve“ it, for better or for worse, is by bringing back demand pricing. Saturday tickets are probably going to cost more.

If it doesn’t dissuade folks from coming, at least Universal will make a few extra bucks.

There‘s room to get creative with WDW’s park reservation system - they’re just not for whatever reason.
The reason they aren’t getting creative is because they can’t. That’s why you can’t book on MDX, that’s why park hopping isn’t available, that’s why the availability calendar is so weird to access.

Calling the “team” working on the reservation system a skeleton crew would be generous. They did the best they could given the circumstances and are actively working to address issues.

That's why I put "solve" in quotes. It won't solve the problem, but they'll pretend that's why they're doing it. And all the parks are selling at least some one-day tickets... Especially Universal, ya' know, for that pay for a day get all year free deal.
Oh yeah, the promo that isn’t sold at the gate and is a completely different product in the system than a one-day. The website even tries to stop you from giving them more money:

Attachments

• CF898C83-CF8C-4E6A-9F52-867BA1F6203C.jpeg
    CF898C83-CF8C-4E6A-9F52-867BA1F6203C.jpeg
    639.9 KB · Views: 37
and...we though Disney planning was super complicated 'before' covid. Doubt anyone thought it could get as confusing as it is now.................That said, i wonder if WDW is going
to take a hard look at their policies as this crisis relents, and perhaps make major changes in the way they ticket and price the parks, make hotel/dinner reservations, fastpass alterations or replace with maxi pass type system,
park hop and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.