Tomorrowland re-do? | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Tomorrowland re-do?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Best case scenario would be to bring neither show back and for it to become something new and good. I want some new blood in this museum of a park.

And not VR either! How that was the only attraction Wreck-It Ralph was ever slated for saddens me.

Reactions: HHN Maddux
Best case scenario would be to bring neither show back and for it to become something new and good. I want some new blood in this museum of a park.

And not VR either! How that was the only attraction Wreck-It Ralph was ever slated for saddens me.
The problem is they're so deeply limited by what they can actually do in that show building. That's why they were pitching to go the VR way because it's something you could attach to the seats and then once a headset is on, you don't realize the limitations anymore since you're sort of transported to whatever is in front of your eyeballs.

The problem with VR in a theme park though and why it hasn't happened yet is because not only of having to help every get the headset on (which slows down load enough as seen with Mario Kart (and that's an AR device which is easier to put on), but with VR, everyone has a different IPD (Interpupillary distance) and the only headset up until this point that actually measures your IPD inside of the headset is the just released PSVR2. The reason this is important is if the IPD settings are wrong, the image will look blurry.

That headset is also super easy to put on, so we're moving in the right direction in terms of the potential for them park usage if someone wants to someday, but when the WIR attraction was pitched in whatever year it was (2017 maybe?), we weren't anywhere close yet. However, with VR so readily accessible at home now (and fairly cheap, too) if people want it, there would have to be a really unique attraction idea for VR to warrant being worth it in a ride setting. Especially since it would be a nightmare from the ops side of things with capacity likely being low.

I do think that, at least if we're going to keep the Speedway, turning that into a Sugar Rush themed attraction that runs on electric cars would be way better than it currently is and it would make the transition from FL to TL a bit more seamless.

Last edited:
The problem is they're so deeply limited by what they can actually do in that show building. That's why they were pitching to go the VR way because it's something you could attach to the seats and then once a headset is on, you don't realize the limitations anymore since you're sort of transported to whatever is in front of your eyeballs.

The problem with VR in a theme park though and why it hasn't happened yet is because not only of having to help every get the headset on (which slows down load enough as seen with Mario Kart (and that's an AR device which is easier to put on), but with VR, everyone has a different IPD (Interpupillary distance) and the only headset up until this point that actually measures your IPD inside of the headset is the just released PSVR2. The reason this is important is if the IPD settings are wrong, the image will look blurry.

That headset is also super easy to put on, so we're moving in the right direction in terms of the potential for them park usage if someone wants to someday, but when the WIR attraction was pitched in whatever year it was (2017 maybe?), we weren't anywhere close yet. However, with VR so readily accessible at home now (and fairly cheap, too) if people want it, there would have to be a really unique attraction idea for VR to warrant being worth it in a ride setting. Especially since it would be a nightmare from the ops side of things with capacity likely being low.

I do think that, at least if we're going to keep the Speedway, turning that into a Sugar Rush themed attraction that runs on electric cars would be way better than it currently is and it would make the transition from FL to TL a bit more seamless.
Would much rather see the Speedway go for a large scale dark ride.
Little update.

Magicart87, one of the insiders on WDWMagic, says they're hearing about a replacement finally taking the SGE space. Emphasized that it's nothing definitive for now, but if true, it's a very good retrofit and better than WiR.
I assume that due to the space and configuration of the building this would be some sort of theater attraction? or could they get an omnimover type dark ride to work?

I know....not going to happen....beating a dead horse.....but bringing back Alien Encounter would be great.

In a perfect would, Monsters Inc would get axed for a simulator ride of some sort and Alien Encounter would return.
They somewhat tried with Stitch lol. Stitch was so toned down compared to its predecessor and I still remember hearing that guests found the attraction too scary for kids. Nothing as crazy as Alien Encounter will ever exist at a Disney park again.

I imagine whatever is taking over Stitch will just re-use the current theater and have a relevant IP slapped on it.

They somewhat tried with Stitch lol. Stitch was so toned down compared to its predecessor and I still remember hearing that guests found the attraction too scary for kids. Nothing as crazy as Alien Encounter will ever exist at a Disney park again.

I imagine whatever is taking over Stitch will just re-use the current theater and have a relevant IP slapped on it.
Alien Encounter with the Xenomorph could work in Hollywood Studios.

Little update.

Magicart87, one of the insiders on WDWMagic, says they're hearing about a replacement finally taking the SGE space. Emphasized that it's nothing definitive for now, but if true, it's a very good retrofit and better than WiR.
If they're going for a newer IP, I wouldn't be shocked if they waited to see how Elio performs next year, especially if this could be expected to be announced at D23 next year. Otherwise... Wall-E? It's such a restraining space and concept that it's hard to really imagine what could go here while keeping both theaters + the in-the-round seating

Reactions: tankart150
Little update, seems this is gaining a bit more traction, and could actually be happening in the very near future.
For some reason, I can see this having a similar announcement to the Test Track refurb- kinda out of nowhere, no spec leading up to it, and no opening timeline given.

They can easily announce it and a refurb/update of Space Mountain at the same time. It's long past due, and once Tiana comes online they'll have the capacity back to take Space down (finally) for the much needed track replacement. I'm sure the plans have been in place for that project for years now, but they've just never pulled the trigger,

For anyone who's just as curious as I was, this is apparently the current state of the two theaters:
  • Left theater is (for the most part) fully intact. Currently being used as a break room, and supposedly this side's Stitch animatronic was saved and sent to the Archives.

• The right theater on the other hand is apparently a whole different story. Pretty much completely abandoned, pitch black, huge intake, and skinned Stitch may or may not still be sitting in the middle.