Top Ten Dark Rides | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Top Ten Dark Rides

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
During my last visit Pirates in DL was closed so I am hoping to get a ride in during my visit this year. I have been told by so many how much better it is to the Orlando counterpart.

My updated current list with new additions in bold:

10) Revenge of the Mummy
9) Spaceship Earth
8) Great Movie Ride
7) Big Thunder Mountain (Disneyland Paris) - Another masterpiece of DLP, their Big Thunder Mountain is just spectacular.
6) Men in Black: Alien Attack!
5) Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
4) The Haunted Mansion
3) Pirates of the Caribbean (Disneyland Paris) - Wow. This is the best Disney attraction I've ever been on. Amazing from the minute you approach to the minute you exit.
2) Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
1) The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man

My List

10) Curse of DarKastle (Got to get my home park some love)
9) Maelstrom (What???? Yeah I know wierd choice, but the trolls crack me up, plus being of Scandinavian descent I feel obligated to put this up here somewhere)
8) E.T. (The queue alone makes this attraction great, the ride itself is a lot of fun)
7) Spaceship Earth (The enhancements are meh, but it is not a trip to Epcot without a ride on this one)
6) The Cat in the Hat (Ridiculous fun)
5) Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (You die and go to hell...in Disney. I miss this one. Need to get out to California to get my Toad fix)
4)Tower of Terror (The themeing, the atmosphere, the cast members and the trip down the hallway make this one very memorable)
3) Haunted Mansion (A classic. So well done)
2) Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (Have not ridden w/enhancements yet so I remember a fuzzy 3-d experience coupled with an amazing ride)
1) Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (Every single element of this ride just clicked for me. Went through when everything was still working completely and was blown away by the complete experience)

P.S. I have never been to California before so I have never ridden the original Pirates of the Caribbean or Indiana Jones. When I eventually get there, this list will probably change.

My updated current list with new additions in bold:

10) Revenge of the Mummy
9) Spaceship Earth
8) Great Movie Ride
7) Big Thunder Mountain (Disneyland Paris) - Another masterpiece of DLP, their Big Thunder Mountain is just spectacular.
6) Men in Black: Alien Attack!
5) Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
4) The Haunted Mansion
3) Pirates of the Caribbean (Disneyland Paris) - Wow. This is the best Disney attraction I've ever been on. Amazing from the minute you approach to the minute you exit.
2) Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
1) The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man

Very interesting. Looking forward to see what you have to say about DLP. How was Phantom Manor compared to HM in MK?

Very interesting. Looking forward to see what you have to say about DLP. How was Phantom Manor compared to HM in MK?

Phantom Manor was...interesting. It's hard to compare the two, because while there are similar scenes, the two are so vastly different in approach, style, and story. I really enjoyed PM, and it's a great attraction, but coming off of it I was kind of craving a ride on Haunted Mansion.

^ How would you rate the Mansions?

WDW
DLP
DL
:shrug:

^ How would you rate the Mansions?

WDW
DLP
DL
:shrug:

Never been to DL so I can't comment with 100% accuracy, but I'd rank WDW's HM above PM. But knowing that PM and DL's HM have the same layout, I think I'd rank PM above DL's mansion.

EDIT: With that being said, Phantom Manor can't be separated from Thunder Mesa. DLP's Frontierland is completely tied together in theme and story, and that's something that's really special.

Last edited:
Very cool. I assume one of the reasons that you like Pirates there so much is the lack of Depp? :lol:

The lack of Depp is a plus, but one of the lesser things I was impressed with. The entire thing is just more epic, cohesive, and impressive. I always knew WDW's Pirates was truncated, but man...after riding DLP's version you don't realize just how much is missing

Any opinions on Crush, Space Mountain, ToT... WHERE IS THE REVIEW AND PICTURES!!!!! :lol:

ughh...never been to Disneyland. What makes it so much better then Disney World's version? And why in hell did they not dupliacte it?

As everyone has said, Orlando's Pirates was built in more of a hurry so it's shorter. But in my opinion, the Orlando ride still does it's job well. All we're missing is an overkill of beginning cave scenes (which can get very boring and repetitive at DL), the beginning scene alongside the Blue Bayou Restaurant (adds nothing major to the experience), and the lift hill back up to the station (no theming present). The only actual 'scene' Orlando is missing is the ending scene at DL's in the ammunition room and it's very short.

As for the reason Orlando's doesn't go far underground with two drops, well for one they didn't need to as Orlando has so much space, and also because Florida's high watertable prevents a lot from going underground.

Oh, and since I'm commenting, I might as well add my list:

10. Mr Toad
9. Haunted Mansion
8. Men in Black
7. Dinosaur
6. Pirates of the Caribbean
5. King Kong
4. Back to the Future
3. The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman
2. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
1. Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye

Last edited:
Updated after my Cali Trip, probably going to get bashed but what do I care. ITS MY LIST :p

#10 Splash Mountain

Splash_Mountain___DisneyWorld_by_Stevie489.jpg

Splash Mountain is arguably one of the greatest water rides ever created as well as one of the best dark rides out there. It blends classic Disney story with great sets, great AA's, and multiple surprises along an extremely long course. Its over the top scenes combined with its family thrills truly set it apart from all water rides and most dark rides.

#9 Horizons

dscn00088.jpg

Another truly immersive attraction that also broke the mold of being interactive. While many people never got the chance to experience this attraction I was lucky enough to several times over all the way until demo. This ride had a unique ride system that blended perfectly with its sprawling sets. At the end you got to choose the actual ending and it made for great rerideablitliy while opening the door for other attractions with the same premise. It was a great classic Disney ride that screamed Epcot or at least what Epcot used to stand for.

#8 Kongfrontation

kongfrontation06s.jpg

This is the ride that made me a dark ride fan. When I was a kid my parents had to take me on this ride over and over and over because I could not get enough. From the moment you entered the queue to the moment you walked off the tram you were fully immersed 360 degrees around you. The sets were AMAZING, probably the best dark ride sets ever created IMO. It brought so many things to the table. A highly themed queue, a great story, amazing AA's, a unique ride system, interactivity, smell effects, live action, simulation, and list keeps going. Of all rides now gone, this is the one I miss the most.

# 7 Radiator Springs Racers

IMG_6405.jpg

The ride overall is very very good. Without a doubt the best thing from Disney in a VERY LONG TIME! The Pro's of the attraction are the visuals, AA's, and race segment. The con's include the length, a an even shorter dark ride section, and a true wow moment. The ride weaves in and around the massive rock work which just adds to the realism of such a massive looking attraction. The forced perspective makes it even appear larger and you believe it. Everest would pale in comparison next to this beast. Then you have the Audio Animatronics which were arguably the best I've ever scene anywhere. From the character movement to the facial expressions they were flawless and probably my favorite part of the attraction. On the other side of things this ride IS SHORT! From the moment you enter the mountains til you cross the finish line is just over two minutes. The dark ride section doesn't last but maybe 75 seconds. All in all the ride is right at the 4 minute mark. While those two minutes of the bulk of the ride are amazing it does leave something to be desired. Its also missing that never been done before WOW moment. You know like 5th dimension in ToT, ending in Indy, the first screen in Spiderman, the FJ ride system, and so on. I'm not harping on the ride by any means as it is an amazing attraction and easily the best thing to come from WDI stateside since the 90's. So yes its awesome, is it the best attraction in the park yes. Is it the best attraction at DLR, no. That title still belongs to Indy. If I was to place RSR's in my top ten dark rides which I obviously would it wouldn't make the top 5 but then again that list is damn hard to beat.

#6 Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye

indianajonesadventure4.jpg

This is without a doubt the best ride at the Disneyland Resort and one of Disney's best creations to date. From the mammoth queue to the vast interior sets it has it all. The ride plays directly into the style of the movie franchise I love so much. So to jump on and literally feel like an adventure straight from the movies was an amazing experience. All the effects were top notch and the sets are just awesome. The EMV vehicles though are what really give the ride that X factor. In a digital time its great to see an older but still amazing attraction show us live sets are the way to go.

#5 The Tower of Terror

tower-of-terror-ipad.jpg

Lets face it, the first few years at MGM (Disney's Hollywood Studios) were well rough. It was a half day park at best and it lacked a truly must see attraction. So Disney decided to build probably its greatest creation at the end of Hollywood Blvd. This ride is blends great effects, cool sets, an amazing queue, fantastic story, and a unique ride system around a free fall ride. Its extremely fun and its great that its been reprofiled several times over the years to keep in fresh. Another thing that sets it apart from EVERYTHING else is its truly themed 360 degrees. I mean no matter where you look whether it be outside the park, inside the park, in the queue, on the ride, in the gift shop its themed to the fullest extent. Theres no show building looming in the background or another ride vehicle in sight. Its just you and the beast.

# 4 The Haunted Mansion

The_Haunted_Mansion.jpg

Alright I probably am going to catch some fire from some on placing this attraction so high on the list. This IMO is the ultimate Disney experience and I NEVER miss it during a visit to the Magic Kingdom. From the facade to the effects this ride screams classic Disney. It offers the rider a backstage pass into the haunted world many of us try to peer our curious eyes into. The update this attraction received in 2007 really cemented its place as my overall number one Disney dark ride. The blending of todays advanced technology with the storyline and sets of Disney's past blend perfectly to create an overall masterpiece. Now if we can just get that Holiday makeover...

# 3 The Amazing Adventure of Spiderman

02_The-Amazing-Adventures-of-Spider-Man.jpg

In the late 90's when my love of theme parks was taking a more serious turn I began following the construction of Universals newest park, Islands of Adventure. At the time I could not wait to ride the Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Dudley, and Jurassic Park. While I did know about Spiderman I didn't at the same time. So in the summer of 99 at my first visit to IOA the family and I did what most do. Started in Marvel and went around. So we did the Hulk, SWEETNESS! Then Doom, ehh that was cool. Then it was time for Spiderman. I mean I had read a few things about how awesome it was but I was young and in 1999 there were not a ton of theme park sites out there. I remember walking in the Daily Bugle and instantly being like whoa this is cool and so did my family. It really hit me as soon as the vehicle turned and Spidey jumped on the scoop. I still remember my jaw dropping to the floor! This ride from start to finish was the most amazing experience I had ever had. I mean it was lightyears ahead of anything else at the time. And now with it being in 4K HD oh man its insane. The ride is the total package and I have nothing negative to say about it, NOTHING!

# 2 Transformers the Ride

TRANSFORMERSTheRide.jpg

Immediately after I saw Transformers in the movie theater I knew it had the possibility of making one amazing attraction. I mean how could one not think the same? It was a special effects dream come true! So when Universal Studios announced the ride was coming to Singapore and Hollywood I was pumped! And to know the ride was going to be based off of the same tech as Spiderman, arguably the greatest dark ride ever, I mean come on. So last month I finally got a chance to take a few spins on this mega attraction and it blew me away. While their are several gag effects that carry over from Spiderman, its takes all things learned from Spiderman and builds on them drastically. The one thing that I loved about this attraction was the urgency, pacing, and overall chaos you experienced from the moment you enter to the moment you leave. Its literally a massive battle playing out in front of your face for 5 minutes non stop. On top of that this ride has a much more out of control feeling. Their were times where you felt the ride vehicle was truly going 60 MPH due to the amazing 4kHD Screen resolution and graphics as well as awesome pacing and simulation effects.

#1 Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey

bob_9607.jpg

Yeah you knew it was coming. Islands of Adventure now houses the two greatest dark rides created IMO and by Summer 2013 Universal Orlando will have the top 3 Dark rides on my list. This ride has the best queue I have ever waited in. It has a ride system that not only destroys crowds but it offers an intimate experience that words just can't describe. When the Wizarding World was being built, I followed it closer than anything else I have ever followed in theme parks. The main thing I was interested in was in fact the Forbidden Journey. It was also one of the only rides I have ever been able to say NO I WILL NOT READ SPOILERS. So in true dork fashion I drove to Universal everyday I could for Potter watch in hopes of getting a ride in. One morning my wish came true. I ran to it like a fat kid to the desert pizza at Cici's. From the moment I walked in my emotions ran wild. Jesus people I called my mom, wife, sister, and dad while I was in line! Anyways the real magic started once I was loaded in got my three clicks and away we went. Each and every scene was everything I had hoped for. The ride system was so much better than I could of dreamed of. It was truly an experience I will never forget and each ride since then has been the same. I love taking people on this ride and watching there reactions. Universal broke the mold 20+ years ago with Back to the Future and Kong. Then they rewrote the book on dark rides with Spiderman ten years later. Now yet again they have taken the dark ride to even higher ground. The ride is as close to total perfection as I have seen.

So this is how I found the site so I'm digging up a grave, but oh well.

My top dark THREE dark rides:

#3 - DINOSAUR at Animal Kingdom or Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios
This is really hard to decide between. Both are totally different rides but I can't find the positives and negatives with each. Both are just, awesome. DINOSAUR genuinely scares me and is one of the more intense rides I've been on. That being said, Tower of Terror doesn't really scare me (funny, I know), but it's a load of fun and the build up before the launch is very nerve-racking. Great Disney magic included in both.

#2 - The Amazing Adventures of Spider Man
A recurring theme in this thread as I see is #2 being Spider Man at Islands of Adventure. This ride is a lot like Dinosaur so I love it. Half the time throughout the ride I thought we were actually flying upside down, being taken up to the top of buildings, etc.; such a great job at mixing the live action with the motion simulation. From the effects used to the ride itself (the motions it creates), this is a masterpiece that something Islands of Adventure should be proud of.

#1 - Shouldn't even have to say it
You know it. Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey. Amazing. My breath was taken away when I first rode it. I don't really have any description about it, besides the fact that this is also a masterpiece. Islands of Adventure is definitely better than Disney World at dark rides; just because of these two.

As a side note: I have never rode Radiator Springs Racers, but have seen video and it seems to be an incredible experience. Also, it leaves me wondering, is it just me or does Disney seem to outdo Universal when it comes to Audio Animatronics. They were SOOOOOO accurate to the style of the movies themselves, and even the best at Universal don't seem to compare. Anyway, onto the list:

10- Star Tours 2- Although I'll get some heat for putting this over PotC, I thoroughly enjoy this ride. Even though it is a simulator, I feel that this experience puts other simulators to shame.

9- Revenge of the Mummy- Great ride, both thrilling and visually appealing. Imagine if Universal decided to plus this attraction?

8- Splash Mountain- Glad it's finally getting some love. Although I'm a Uni fan I can't understand why people prefer Dudley to this: there is just more to look at and it makes for such a full experience.

7- Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye- This ride truly impressed me and took me by surprise when I first rode. The scenes were phenomenally done.

6- Men In Black: Alien Attack- I admit, I have an irrational love of this ride. Although some stiff/static animatronics deter the experience, it is far and away the best ride of its kind, and has amazing repeat value.

5- Haunted Mansion- Simply put: unbelievable. I don't understand why Disney abandoned their winning formula, as rides like these have set the standard for the modern dark ride. Updated effects are mind boggling.

4- Tower of Terror- This is still THE premier Disney attraction. From its detailed, suspenseful queue to the terrifying ride experience, along with some awesome special effects thrown in, I constantly find myself wondering why no one else has even made an attempt to make a drop tower of this caliber.

3- Transformers: The Ride 3D- The nonstop action and fast pace of this attraction make it memorable. The level of detail and quality of the film often goes unnoticed due to the action, but any ride that can make me feel like I am zooming at 80 mph when in reality I am moving slowly surely deserves a place among the elite.

2- The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman- A staple of Islands of Adventure for over a decade, this ride truly has stood the test of time with flying colors. With a seamless blending of real and virtual sets, this ride sets the standard for the future of theme park rides. The amazing part: it was built over a decade ago, speaking volumes to Universal's ability to push the boundaries time and time again.

1- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey- The ride that individually turned the tide in the theme park wars. Not only is this ride NEAR perfect: spectacular queue, amazing effects, great animatronics, a fear factor, and innovative ride system, but this attraction is the reason why we are seeing a massive period of expansion. Kudos to Universal for securing this cash cow.

My top 10 (I'll probably revisit this after I ride more things):

10. The Simpsons Ride

The_Simpsons_Ride_logo.svg

Maybe it's due to my love of The Simpsons, but every time I come off of this ride I have a blast. Even for a cartoon world it feels real. The plot is good and it's nice to Sideshow Bob featured.

8/9. Toy Story Mania and Men in Black Alien Attack

Toy_Story_Midway_Mania%21_logo.svg

Mib_logo.jpg

In terms of dark rides, it's not well themed. In terms on fun, it's great. Out of the three shooting rides in Orlando, this one is the most challenging. I always come off of it happy with a tired arm. Then there's MiB, which is well themed and is fun. The guns are really easy to use on this one and you get the hang of it quick. If I had to give on the edge I'd go with TSM, but mainly due to the queue.

7. Revenge of the Mummy

ROTMLogo.jpg

This coaster is flat out FUN. Sure, the queue can be a hassle to walk now with the extended portion open all day, but the set/tomb piece is well themed. As far as the ride, the dark ride sections has great effects, and the coaster portions are thrilling. It's the perfect blend.

6. Spaceship Earth

Spaceship_Earth_Epcot_Logo.svg

A WDI classic, SSE is pretty much history class added with AAs and 1,000,000,000 times better. The AAs in this ride are some of the best, if not the best I've ever seen. The ending is a nice little touch and I think it's a fun thing to do on the way down.

5. The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman

The_Amazing_Adventures_of_Spider-Man_logo.png

This ride feels and looks like a comic book. It has all the action of the comic book, it has the design of a comic book, and most of all, it's pages of fun! The 4K images make it looks even better. I'm not sure what impact Transformers will have on my rating, but I'll still love this ride.

4. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

320px-Big_Thunder_Mountain_Entrance_Sign_at_Magic_Kingdom.jpg

This has to be the best themeing I've seen on a coaster. The mines are great and it knows when to deliver the thrills while still give you a break to admire the themeing. I'd consider it the highlight of Tony Baxter's career and a staple of WDI.

3. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey

320px-Wizarding_World_of_Harry_Potter_Castle.jpg

Universal striked gold with Harry Potter, and this ride is flat out amazing. The queue is probably the best I've seen, and the themeing and thrills in the ride are great. This really is the first time I've been scared by effects on a ride. The dementors might not look how they do in the films, but I get scared every time I'm in that portion of the ride. Sure, the ride has a few plotholes, but other then that, it's great.

2. The Haunted Mansion

320px-The_Haunted_Mansion.jpg

This and my next ride are what I call a perfect attraction. IMO the themeing is flawless and the effects are great. Not to mention it has the best theme park attraction song anywhere and it's very catchy (and doesn't want to make you bang your head into a wall like a certain small world :bang:). I notice something new every time, and that's another reason why I'll continue to love this ride.

1. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue

Startourstheadventurecontinues.jpg

Alot of the reason why this is my favorite ride is because I'm a Star Wars nut. Even with that aside, this ride is excellent. The queue is excellent, the ride is excellent, and the fact you never know where you'll visit makes you want to ride it again and again. In fact, I still haven't seen the Death Star portion of the show! With the recent purchase of Lucasfilm, Disney can update the ride when the new films come out to add new planets. Simply put, it's a ride I'll ride every time I go to DHS.

I'll be honest, I don't see the hype with Star Tours. I rode it after it was updated and I just didn't think it was exciting, at all. Maybe the story I got was boring - but I just thought it was "meh". Maybe it was because it was my last ride of the day and I'd already been on Rock n' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, etc...

I'll be honest, I don't see the hype with Star Tours. I rode it after it was updated and I just didn't think it was exciting, at all. Maybe the story I got was boring - but I just thought it was "meh". Maybe it was because it was my last ride of the day and I'd already been on Rock n' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, etc...

There's 54 different ride experiences so you'd really have to ride it a couple of times and see what you get.