Top Ten Dark Rides | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Top Ten Dark Rides

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not counting thrill rides:

10. Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin
9. Alice In Wonderland
8. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
7. Great Movie Ride
6. Jaws
5. Maelstrom
4. E.T.
3. Spaceship Earth
2. Haunted Mansion (WDW)
1. Pirates of the Caribbean (DLR)

Honorable Mention:

- Calico Mine Ride (Fun ride at Knott's Berry Farm)
- Cat In A Hat
- Journey into Imagination with Figment
- Jungle Cruise (DLR)
- Kongfrontation
- Living With The Land
- Phantom Manor
- Peter Pan's Flight
- Snow White's Scary Adventure
- Universe of Energy (w/Ellen)
- Winnie The Pooh
- World's Of Motion

I unfortunately don't remember Horizons, I was 2 the only time I was at Epcot when it was open. Also my memory isn't the best on the original Journey Into Imagination or Universe of Energy.

1. Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
2. The Haunted Mansion (WDW)
3. Pirates of the Caribbean (Disneyland)
4. Spaceship Earth
5. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (Disney's Hollywood Studios)
6. Space Mountain (WDW)
7. The Great Movie Ride
8. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
9. Indiana Jones Adventure (Disneyland)
10. E.T Adventure

My top 10 are
10. E.T. Adventure
9. Spaceship Earth
8. Star Tours
7. Revenge of the Mummy
6. Indiana Jones Adventure
5. Men in Black Alien Attack
4. Toy Story Mania
3. Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
2. Haunted Mansion (MK)
1. Harry Potter

1. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (though there is a lot of problems I have with it, the ride system and the queue more than make up for it)
2. The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman
3. Transformers: The Ride 3D
4. Splash Mountain (Florida)
5. Pirates of the Caribbean (California)
6. Haunted Mansion (Florida)
7. Tower of Terror (Florida)
8. Radiator Springs Racers
9. Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye
10. Calico Mine Ride

^ Good List! Although I put Transformers ahead of Spidey but that's just me. Also glad to see someone else now bowing down to RSR's.

^Transformers and Spiderman are basically tied for me. But I put Spidey ahead just because it has a much more of a define story ark. Whereas Transforms is just pure fast pace action.

Also the first time I road RSR was on opening weekend. And I was in the boat that I was greatly disappointed by it. But after a few more rides and admiring the rockwork, it eventually moved into my top ten.

I have to say that I haven't rode Transformers yet, and I'm too young to remember Horizons. But after watching youtube videos, both would have probably been on this list.

#10- MAELSTROM
maelstrom.jpg

#9 - ET
et-adventures.jpg

#8- TEST TRACK
http://www.awesomeflorida.com/images/epcot-test-track-1b.jpg

#7-SPACESHIP EARTH
http://media.lunch.com/d/d7/454616.jpg

#6- JURASSIC PARK
http://0.tqn.com/d/travelwithkids/1/0/N/7/jurassicUSH.JPG

#5- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN
http://caaneo.ca/about/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/disney_ride_smells_pirates_caribbean.jpg

#4- GRAN FIESTA TOUR
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4037/4255783339_e324ae3689_z.jpg?zz=1

#3- SPIDERMAN
http://media.silive.com/entertainment_impact_recreation/photo/ax217-4dbd-9jpg-c851d4c286f327a1.jpg

#2- SPLASH MOUNTAIN
http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/disney/mk/splash_mountain_interior.jpg

#1- BACK TO THE FUTURE
http://www.bttf.com/tyfoon/site/fckeditor/image/RIDE-03_700x475.jpg

For the love of everything that is good in the world..if there is anyone out there at Universal who reads this. Please bring Back to the Future back. Reboot it, whatever. Just please bring it back. :hail:

I'm not trying to knock you or anything. But are you serious about the Gran Fiesta Tour?? I like that your showing some love for the Maelstrom though. :thumbs:

Last edited:
1. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey(The new technology that was made for this ride astounds me just thinking about it every time.The best in thrills and dark ride sights for me. Dementors and Dragon scare me every time! Aragog squirts water in my eye every time! Whomping Willow almost puts you up upside down! Also really love the soul sucking projection part).

2. The Amazing Adventures of Spider Man(First ride of it's kind and the mix of thrills with the 4kHD puts it right behind Mr. Potter. The realness of this ride never ceases to AMAZE me. See what I did there? Just like FJ, I love EVERYTHING about this ride).

3. Revenge of the Mummy(Always a MUST ride for me and one of the rides I could ride over and over again. Favorite Part: the very first drop after the hill is exhilarating for me. I fly out of the seat EVERY TIME. Absolutely love the dark ride scenes: Mummies popping up, Beatles and spin backwards/screen, and the fire room with drop).

4. Tower of Terror(I don't know why but every time in the part where your elevator goes forward into the dark, I get this nervous feeling we could just fall out the window. It literally gives me a panic attack(worse than Disney's monorails) And the fact that the drops are different every time gives me an extra excitement every time I go on it).

5. Men In Black(Always have a blasty blast(pun intended) lol I either do really good or a what happened? though. Probably my favorite ride for AA's and definitely one of the most FUN rides for me).

6. Everest(I have honestly never understood the knocks or the ehhh's I get from people about this ride. From the point where it hits the broken track and when the ride is done, I have a hell of a time on this ride every time! Though I am sad the Yeti still isn't the way it used to be. But come to think of it I don't think I've ever even rode it when it was normal).

7. Dudley(I know I'm going to get a lot of knocks for having this at number seven but what can I say? This is up there with MIB for me having the most FUN. I also realize some people will think I'm crazy for having this over Splash Mountain. And I do realize there are a lot more and better AA's on SM than Dudley. But I just enjoy this more overall personally).

8. Dinosaur!(I feel like this has always been such an underrated dark ride. I almost feel like it should be higher on my list, but I'm a Universal whore, I cant help it).

9. Jurassic Park River Adventure( I got to have Jurassic Park on my list. And of course when those big walls open and you hear "Welcome to Jurassic Park" with the music playing I cant help but get goose bumps. Also one of my favorite endings in a ride EVER).

10. Haunted Mansion( Must ride classic every time I'm at Magic Kingdom. I've always loved the seats you sit in and the guys voice always gives me the chills. Probably so low on my list just because I'm more of a THRILL rider overall. And I might have been crazy enough to put it this low. But I'm not going to be crazy enough to not have it in my top ten dark rides list. That would just be an insult. Even from a Universal junkie as myself).

I have not yet ridden: Transformers(I'm positive would be in my top 10), Indiana Jones, and RSR. Also I did not Include Kong and BTTF because they're gone. And I realize I'm a Universal whore but that's just me, sorry lol

Last edited:
I'm not trying to knock you or anything. But are you serious about the Gran Fiesta Tour?? I like that your showing some love for the Maelstrom though. :thumbs:

hahaha! That's totally ok. I really do like it though. Its so atmospheric. I love how you ride by the big huge pyramid and I also like the part where you ride down the alleyway with buildings on the side and the fake fireworks on the ceiling. I actually just love that whole building, the way they make it feel like its always night, even during a hot summer day outside. Its just a place where I actually feel like I'm in another world.

Also...I'm not trying to knock you or anything. But are you serious about Dudley Do-Right? :lol:

Last edited:
Gran Fiesta Tour isn't bad, but I would say that El Rio del Tiempo was better. That sense of mystery it had just worked well in its favor compared to GFT.

I'm going to have to go to youtube and watch that version of the ride. I've only rode the Gran Fiesta Tour version. I wish I was old enough to remember Horizons. :'(

UPDATE: Holy crap, you are right. The older version was way more atmospheric and so much better. What the heck? I want to take Gran Fiesta Tour off my list now because they totally jacked it up.

Last edited:
hahaha! That's totally ok. I really do like it though. Its so atmospheric. I love how you ride by the big huge pyramid and I also like the part where you ride down the alleyway with buildings on the side and the fake fireworks on the ceiling. I actually just love that whole building, the way they make it feel like its always night, even during a hot summer day outside. Its just a place where I actually feel like I'm in another world.

Also...I'm not trying to knock you or anything. But are you serious about Dudley Do-Right? :lol:

lmao so you world rather ride the Gran Fiesta Tour than Dudley-Do-Right?

Dudley Do-Right is embarrassing when it comes to interior show scenes. The ride has it's moments, but it's rather bad. I love the facade and the drops though.

The best part of GFT is the part where you pass by the volcano. The rest is pretty much bad and cartoony.

The best part of GFT is the part where you pass by the volcano. The rest is pretty much bad and cartoony.

In addition, another issue I have with the ride is the over-abundance of video screens. While that was also an issue with the original ride, GFT takes it even further. I just find it amazing that a company that has developed so many ground-breaking animatronics in the past could just give us a bunch of screens, one scene with animatronics and call it a day. Weak.

What's even worse is that, according to rumors, there apparently was a plan to have animatronics of the Three Caballeros in the final scene (the animatronics would've been recycled from Tokyo's Mickey Mouse Revue show) but they scrapped it.

Dudley is a horrible dark ride, but a fun water ride. It is one of my personal favorites, but everything leading up to the climax is pretty poor.

Honorable mention goes to Test Track
I don't love the indoor section enough to put it on the list. But I think it's massively improved over the previous version. I imagine how cool a BttF ride with this technology could be. 88 MPH!
10: Maelstrom
Because "disappear! disappear!"
9: The Little Mermaid
Might catch some flack for this one, but I love all the scenes mainly for dark ride photo practice.
8: Pirates of the Caribbean
Ive never ridden the DL version but a trip to the Magic Kingdom isn't complete without at least one run through.
7: Great Movie Ride
Give me a good tour guide and this ride can literally make my day! Large live sets, and CM spieling! Yes please!
6: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
Once this would have been much higher on my list. Still an amazing ride, but after toning it down I no longer feel like I am truly flying. Maybe riding it before the change(s) spoiled me!
5: Tower of Terror
The must do ride at MGM. Dont need to say much about this Twighlight Zone adaptation other than catch all the details you can.
4: Haunted Mansion
A classic dark ride in every sense. From the moment you "step into the dead center of the room" until you exit your Doombuggy you are fully immersed in this world. Some effects will leave you scratching your head to this day.
3: MiB
Immersive sets, great theming in the Queue/Ride and IMO the best shooter in Orlando. Get your competitive spirits out for this one.
2: Spider Man
This one changed the game. Projecting a 3D image to a moving audience was thought impossible before this ride.
1: Transformers
The in your face realism for me puts it ahead of SpiderMan and is now the must do attraction of USF

Last edited: