What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tower of Terror

Are we really pretending that the 5th dimension scene is something special that it elevates it so far beyond the other ToT versions?

I think it's appropriately strange. :shrug:

But I don't know that anybody's claimed the 5th Dimension is the only reason it's the best version. The ride is the culmination of the theme and design work of an entire land in a way no others are (or were), just for starters.

Last edited:
I don't doubt for a second that Disney is constantly spitballing ideas on a re-theme of the FL version. Especially since it means having to constantly pay Viacom for the Twilight Zone rights despite now owning an extensive catalogue of in-house properties.

In an ideal world, if the current theme must go, just ditch all the TZ references and keep it as a creepy Hollywood hotel a la Tokyo's. But the days of Disney (or Universal for that matter) ever building a ride not based on existing IP are long gone.

I don't doubt for a second that Disney is constantly spitballing ideas on a re-theme of the FL version. Especially since it means having to constantly pay Viacom for the Twilight Zone rights despite now owning an extensive catalogue of in-house properties.

In an ideal world, if the current theme must go, just ditch all the TZ references and keep it as a creepy Hollywood hotel a la Tokyo's. But the days of Disney (or Universal for that matter) ever building a ride not based on existing IP are long gone.
I have to wonder how much the TWZ rights really cost the mouse. Not as much representation as cheap late night TV has so maybe less than buying a package of the series?

Are we really pretending that the 5th dimension scene is something special that it elevates it so far beyond the other ToT versions?
Hell yes!
I was in shock when I road this ride the first time and it freaks me out every time if we going in the second lift shaft and I hope it's getting in there as supposed to. It makes the attraction more than a simple drop tower.

Are we really pretending Mission Breakout is better than WDW's Tower of Terror? (I see the argument for DCA's compromised version, even if I still disagree with it.)
DCA's version of Tower never worked for me. The "elevator" themed died the minute the elevator door opened to reveal... an exit hallway you had to cross to board the actual elevator. In Orlando, the illusion is perfectly preserved.

So, the retheme idea I’ve been alluding to for ages.

Go figure.

And yes, you can’t really compare Mission: Breakout and WDW’s ToT - DCA ToT was a broken version of the concept and M:B “fixed” it, but they’re two inherently different rides.

Whatever happened to the Tavern idea above the gift shop? I’d unironically pay stupid money for their to be a dining experience associated with this. I wonder if they’re worried too many people would get sick and eat before they ride. Could just be open for dinner too, perfect spot pre Fantasmic.

Whatever happened to the Tavern idea above the gift shop? I’d unironically pay stupid money for their to be a dining experience associated with this. I wonder if they’re worried too many people would get sick and eat before they ride. Could just be open for dinner too, perfect spot pre Fantasmic.
I saw this concept art do the rounds a couple years ago, but if they did a Trader Sam's quality bar or the Tip Top Club, I'd spend way too much money to hang out there. He even had designs in mind for souvenir mugs!