Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Transformers: The Ride 3D - Time for a Replacement?

Jan 10, 2013
No man's land: SoCal
Time certainly flies, doesn't it? It's been eight years since the ride opened. Hard to believe that by the time Runaway Railway opens at DL, this ride will be a decade old! It felt like yesterday when I was among the first public people to ride this for its soft opening phase. I remember when they announced it in 2008 how it felt like it was taking foreeeeever to get this ride built. I blink and it's suddenly a somewhat outdated ride.

While I do like the ride, after watching the POV for the Bourne Stuntacular, I couldn't help but notice how crystal clear the screen was for the show. It was also cool to see how the practical effects blended seamlessly into the screen. Looking at that, it made me realize how outdated the projection tech for Transformers is. Bourne is crisp, crystal clear, and seamless while Transformers' is low rate, blurry with 3D, and not as realistic as even Kung Fu Panda's projections. Come to think of it, it's really shocking how little Uni Creative has tried to mix on-screen with practical effects; something I hoped this ride would do before it opened. Instead of giving this ride a simple projector upgrade, why not maximize its potential into something else?

Transformers, at the time, has served its purpose very well for USH. We were crying for years for USH to have its remedy for Spiderman in a park sorely lacking any descent dark rides. While it's still a good ride, it doesn't hold up quite as well as FJ or as well as MK will likely be. It was the last ride designed from the horrific GE era. Now that the park is under a company that is clearly willing to throw money into its theme parks, maybe it's time for a change?

The one big knock I have against the ride...okay, actually two...for one thing, the ride has virtually no practical/moving effects. Spider-man has quite a bit of mixing practical with on-screen, which clearly sets it apart from this ride. Second, the motion isn't quite as intense as Spider-man. On SM, you can really feel that thing jerk, spin, and swivel, and it is AWESOME. Over on this ride, it gets a little spinney in the subway tunnel scene, but other than that, the motion is pretty soft. With how much technology has advanced since Transformers' opening, imagine how much better it would be if they ditched the 3D and combined the practical effects (Imagine what they could do with the KUKA arms!) with the crispness of the screen just like with Bourne. It would look even better than the 3D on the ride and the resolution would sell it. Plus, without the glasses, they could make the ride more intense. Heck, maybe they could also change the elevators to zoom up and down really fast like a drop tower almost?

What do you guys think? I'm sure the only factors keeping Transformers alive are 1) There's yet a solid IP that would work to replace this and 2) Uni Creative already has a lot on their plate right now. But seeing how tech has advanced and thinking about the possibilities here, I think Transformers may be due soon for a re-skin. This could also apply for Orlando's Transformers, but it would be nice if they could keep it so it still exists somewhere else; besides, they already have Spider-man. Also, I feel a bit old just posting this thread. :lol:

Time certainly flies, doesn't it? It's been eight years since the ride opened. Hard to believe that by the time Runaway Railway opens at DL, this ride will be a decade old! It felt like yesterday when I was among the first public people to ride this for its soft opening phase. I remember when they announced it in 2008 how it felt like it was taking foreeeeever to get this ride built. I blink and it's suddenly a somewhat outdated ride.

While I do like the ride, after watching the POV for the Bourne Stuntacular, I couldn't help but notice how crystal clear the screen was for the show. It was also cool to see how the practical effects blended seamlessly into the screen. Looking at that, it made me realize how outdated the projection tech for Transformers is. Bourne is crisp, crystal clear, and seamless while Transformers' is low rate, blurry with 3D, and not as realistic as even Kung Fu Panda's projections. Come to think of it, it's really shocking how little Uni Creative has tried to mix on-screen with practical effects; something I hoped this ride would do before it opened. Instead of giving this ride a simple projector upgrade, why not maximize its potential into something else?

Transformers, at the time, has served its purpose very well for USH. We were crying for years for USH to have its remedy for Spiderman in a park sorely lacking any descent dark rides. While it's still a good ride, it doesn't hold up quite as well as FJ or as well as MK will likely be. It was the last ride designed from the horrific GE era. Now that the park is under a company that is clearly willing to throw money into its theme parks, maybe it's time for a change?

The one big knock I have against the ride...okay, actually two...for one thing, the ride has virtually no practical/moving effects. Spider-man has quite a bit of mixing practical with on-screen, which clearly sets it apart from this ride. Second, the motion isn't quite as intense as Spider-man. On SM, you can really feel that thing jerk, spin, and swivel, and it is AWESOME. Over on this ride, it gets a little spinney in the subway tunnel scene, but other than that, the motion is pretty soft. With how much technology has advanced since Transformers' opening, imagine how much better it would be if they ditched the 3D and combined the practical effects (Imagine what they could do with the KUKA arms!) with the crispness of the screen just like with Bourne. It would look even better than the 3D on the ride and the resolution would sell it. Plus, without the glasses, they could make the ride more intense. Heck, maybe they could also change the elevators to zoom up and down really fast like a drop tower almost?

What do you guys think? I'm sure the only factors keeping Transformers alive are 1) There's yet a solid IP that would work to replace this and 2) Uni Creative already has a lot on their plate right now. But seeing how tech has advanced and thinking about the possibilities here, I think Transformers may be due soon for a re-skin. This could also apply for Orlando's Transformers, but it would be nice if they could keep it so it still exists somewhere else; besides, they already have Spider-man. Also, I feel a bit old just posting this thread. :lol:
Nah

Upgrade the screens, but the ride doesn't need to go. At least not yet. When the time comes, update the ride to move away from the Bay visuals and you still can get another 20 years or so out of it.
I think the only reason it would go on the near future is because the lower lot is changing quite a bit and tbh, Transformers is starting to get in the way.

To echo Brian, I'd say once things settle for SNW, revamp Transformers to match that of the new take that has been introduced with Bumblebee (which I am going to assume will continue onward), to give the facade the TLC, and to update the projectors and digital effects. If Transformers goes, it won't be because it's a dated IP--It's just that things need to happen for it to leave.

Although, it would be funny if it did get a shorter life-span than Back to The Future, I'll say that.

If they really wanted to I could see them upgrading all the screens to bourne tier LED screens, and maybe putting in the originally intended(?) full size optimus animatronic at the end if they really wanted to splurge on a big practical effect. Other than that, I really don't see them updating it any time soon, Simpsons is well over 10 years old at this point without much upgrading, and we all know how long Jurassic Park sat in relative disrepair without any major fixes.

If they really wanted to I could see them upgrading all the screens to bourne tier LED screens, and maybe putting in the originally intended(?) full size optimus animatronic at the end if they really wanted to splurge on a big practical effect. Other than that, I really don't see them updating it any time soon, Simpsons is well over 10 years old at this point without much upgrading, and we all know how long Jurassic Park sat in relative disrepair without any major fixes.

The only major extensive thing I can see them be doing for the ride itself, ain't that. It'd be basically like how Universal redid Spider-Man, and changed it up to be more..modernized in a way.

Transformers is a great ride however the location it's currently in at the lower lot is questionable. They need to replace The Simpsons or Minion Mayhem before they touch Transformers.

The park seems to be moving away from 3D, with the removal of glasses at FJ and DM, so LED screens, like used at Bourne, could be a reasonable 2D replacement. I wouldn’t be suprised to see newer projectors installed, similar to Simpsons, due to the pretty dark and blurry image compared to other 3D attractions. I could definitely see transformers being removed within the next 5 years, BUT that’s only if it was as a part of a SMW extension, since that could be one of the only franchises that would have the major Asian tourist market secured the same way.

Transformers is a great ride however the location it's currently in at the lower lot is questionable. They need to replace The Simpsons or Minion Mayhem before they touch Transformers.

The latter would actually be more preferable to me personally than getting rid of Transformers. Gutting Minion Mayhem as it is and making an actual ride would be far greater, in my opinion, than removing Transformers at this point. I always skip MM but rarely, if ever, skip Transformers; if MM were to be overhauled into something else, even if it’s still the same IP, I think it’d be such a great decision by Universal and really punch up Illumination Land ahead of whatever else they may add over there after SLOP.

Like Brian said, I’d prefer to see Transformers’ visuals updated to move on, even in part, from the Bay aesthetic rather than the ride as a whole be replaced just yet. I can understand why we’d never get something like an animatronic Optimus Prime in the ride almost a decade into its life, but man, just changing the footage to update the story, add different Autobots/Decepticons, etc., and rebranding the ride with a new title appropriate to the updated story would go a long way into giving the ride a second wind.

I would agree upgrades to the screens would be good, but I think the attraction will stay for many more years. I enjoy it, and I'm not really a big fan of the movies. I always felt like the attraction missed the peak of the franchises popularity by a few years. I was in middle school when the first one came out and it was insanely popular. It still makes a good attraction though. Like everyone else said, Minions going first and replaced with a similar minions or DM ride would be preferred. I could also see SImpsons going first too because of the rights and what not.

I would like to see this ride get the "Jurassic World" treatment.
Maintain the same IP but rework things a bit. I feel like this ride really needs something to make it feel like less of a watered down Spiderman clone.
Although I enjoy this ride even now just some upgrades or a little variation would be neat. For example, some screens don't have as good of a 3D effect.
Specifically, the bigger screens. If anything can be done about that. Additionally, I feel some type of alternative outcomes. Perhaps different auto-bots
fight Megatron at certain sections occasionally. Some nods to the new transformers movies, instead of Starscream during the final section maybe we get to see
other deceptions as well randomly such as Grindor, Barricade, etc, etc.

Blowing the dust off this thread since it's been a couple of years and something else significant has happened.....Transformers has hit ten years old as of Memorial Day weekend and no one has noticed. That's generally around the time Universal starts thinking about a replacement for a ride.

Like we discussed in the SNW thread, the 3D looks very blurry and outdated compared to the other rides. Not to mention the set design is very bland and minimalist compared to everything else the park offers now. The ride looked great when it opened, but that's not too hard when the park had only JP, Simpsons, Mummy, and the Tour with Kong 360 at the time. Heck even Kong and Spidey look better than Transformers does now. As the park added more rides, Transformers appeared more outdated. Projection technology has advanced so much since the ride opened in 2012 and when you compare this to rides with more crisp screens such as GotG:MB, WEB, or Bourne.....yeah, I think it's time. It's almost as if the ride was never intended to last the long-term when they designed it....but again, it was under GE.

IMO, Transformers has served its purpose, and I think the priority after Bourne and the F&F coaster should be a new overlay for Transformers. It would be great to replace it with something that has much crisper screens and have practical effects. The only issue, there's no IP that would really stand out for a replacement for it. JW is one candidate, but that would mean whatever replaces Mummy would have to be JW-related to make a well-rounded JW land. Would they want to devote that many rides to one IP at USH? The only viable IP I can think of would be something Nintendo related like Pokemon or something, but again, assuming we will get DK, that's three rides devoted to one IP.

Blowing the dust off this thread since it's been a couple of years and something else significant has happened.....Transformers has hit ten years old as of Memorial Day weekend and no one has noticed. That's generally around the time Universal starts thinking about a replacement for a ride.

Like we discussed in the SNW thread, the 3D looks very blurry and outdated compared to the other rides. Not to mention the set design is very bland and minimalist compared to everything else the park offers now. The ride looked great when it opened, but that's not too hard when the park had only JP, Simpsons, Mummy, and the Tour with Kong 360 at the time. Heck even Kong and Spidey look better than Transformers does now. As the park added more rides, Transformers appeared more outdated. Projection technology has advanced so much since the ride opened in 2012 and when you compare this to rides with more crisp screens such as GotG:MB, WEB, or Bourne.....yeah, I think it's time. It's almost as if the ride was never intended to last the long-term when they designed it....but again, it was under GE.

IMO, Transformers has served its purpose, and I think the priority after Bourne and the F&F coaster should be a new overlay for Transformers. It would be great to replace it with something that has much crisper screens and have practical effects. The only issue, there's no IP that would really stand out for a replacement for it. JW is one candidate, but that would mean whatever replaces Mummy would have to be JW-related to make a well-rounded JW land. Would they want to devote that many rides to one IP at USH? The only viable IP I can think of would be something Nintendo related like Pokemon or something, but again, assuming we will get DK, that's three rides devoted to one IP.

Honestly, I think it's telling they haven't taken the time to theme the Transformers building. Even when I believe people have said Creatives have looked at the building, they haven't gone as extensive to hide it from SNW as much as they hid Shrek 4D's building for Hogsmeade.

Part of me wonders what things will look like with the building as we get to October and November, but otherwise I do think it's time for the theme to go. Emphasis, on the theme. The ride itself is a great thing for the park, eats good enough crowds and was specifically designed for that location. I can see them retheming it to better match what the area could shape itself into in the longer haul. Jurassic World's a fascinating topic, because if they intend to demolish Mummy for future park growth, perhaps they could go and recreate the main street leading to the Discovery Center. But given SNW's proximity, I doubt that'd be an easy task.

I almost wonder if they could tie it in with whatever happens to SS29/31, as I have to wonder with the Barham stages rising, when the 8 soundstages down in the Front Lot designated to go, will go.

There was a rumor floating around a few months ago that Japan (maybe it was a different park) was considering retheming their Spider-Man as Pokémon. With Transformers proximity to Nintendo, I do wonder if they’ve considered this as well.

I initially saw this thread and was like...what? It's only like 6 years old....and then I realized it's 2022 and this ride is 10 years old. Holy crap. I still don't think it needs a replacement.

Man, my mind is blown that it's been 10 years. That means I've been a member here for 10 years....

Don't mind my mental crisis...

The only issue, there's no IP that would really stand out for a replacement for it. JW is one candidate, but that would mean whatever replaces Mummy would have to be JW-related to make a well-rounded JW land. Would they want to devote that many rides to one IP at USH? The only viable IP I can think of would be something Nintendo related like Pokemon or something, but again, assuming we will get DK, that's three rides devoted to one IP.

By the time it would be retired -- let's say it still has 6-8 years left, if Mummy and Simpsons are going to be dealt with first -- it's also possible that an IP that hasn't even been created yet could come out and catch on, either a future Universal property or something else, that we'd be clamoring to see in the park! (Like how a year ago, none of us would've ever expected Nope to be joining the Studio Tour.)

That said, I'm not sure I'd want to see Universal just slap a new coat of paint over the ride for whatever IP they replace it with. I love the ride system, but at the same time, it has so many design restrictions that they'd need to essentially rebuild the track if they wanted to add more modern tricks, like something akin to the animatronic Indominus rex chasing the vehicle in Beijing, which also could be hindered by the building's size. If I had to choose between it staying and given a retheme but essentially being the same experience, or going to open up space that could give us something wild and new, I'd choose the latter (like if that space next to it that had the red X's becomes, say, a Universal Monsters Land like Epic's, I'd sacrifice Transformers in a heartbeat).

I think once we know what's going to happen with Mummy, we'll probably immediately be able to guess what Transformers' future holds. I just wish we knew now, haha.

Like if it has to fine but its a soild ride and rather them use area's that aren't being used fully first over taking away another ride to put in a ride