Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 385 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay hear me out, I had an epiphany late at night and wrote it down after it came to me…What if the ENTIRE Wizarding World land at EU is set in the 1920s?

Imagine if the the floo network still transports you to the British Ministry, from Paris, but you don’t actually travel to the “future” (the 90s) until you’re ON the ride, as part of the story. This way you could have the Potter characters and travel through the “modern” British ministry, but the queue and setting of the area stays 1920s. In the final scene of the ride, you would travel back to the 1920s. Imagine this ride being some kind of BTTF twist on Harry Potter!!!

I just really needed to share my unhinged theory with people who’d actually want to hear:lol:

Once again, the Wizarding Worlds as is don't exactly have much continuity. I still hope they can come up with some sort of thematic justification for why we're in Paris, but I understand the desire to not do another London facade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suchomimus
Stempunk and Classic Monsters goes together like peanut butter and chocolate IMO

But it's just not necessary. You can be faithful to the visual spirit of the original movies while heightening it for theme park implementation without having to resort to a completely different design ethos.

ETA: Frankenstein's laboratory is the only thing remotely close to steampunk in the classic films, and I don't think they should take it much further than this:
f49d68e4dd4156937b8b7f406d834a10.jpg

But it's just not necessary. You can be faithful to the visual spirit of the original movies while heightening it for theme park implementation without having to resort to a completely different design ethos.

ETA: Frankenstein's laboratory is the only thing remotely close to steampunk in the classic films, and I don't think they should take it much further than this:
Steampunk sells more and resonates with the influencers more than gothic but maybe a blend will be a happy compromise and serve both interests well.

Reactions: shiekra38
I don't believe that remained. That was still blue sky when the land was much darker, and the main ride looked more like Dracula's Castle. Now it's gone in a more... um... steam punk direction.
That's a little concerning. For Frankenstein that might work somewhat but like... Dracula? The Wolfman? I don't see it fitting. Hoping this land turns out to be more horror and less fantasy. The kids get HTTYD and Nintendo, let the adults and teens have some scary fun.

A few thoughts about the Classic Monsters land and "kids". For one thing kids these days have been exposed to and desensitized from things way more scarier than Dracula and Frankenstein. I know that isn't a blank check for Universal to intentionally scare kids. Second, you can make the land atmospherically "spooky" and foreboding without being scary. And leave the scarier elements to the rides. I hope the rides are more HHN and less Beetlejuice Review. If they do it that way they can have kids in the land without scaring them (think Haunted Mansion queue and Team Member outfits and makeup) and post signs on the rides warning of more intense horror elements.

A few thoughts about the Classic Monsters land and "kids". For one thing kids these days have been exposed to and desensitized from things way more scarier than Dracula and Frankenstein. I know that isn't a blank check for Universal to intentionally scare kids. Second, you can make the land atmospherically "spooky" and foreboding without being scary. And leave the scarier elements to the rides. I hope the rides are more HHN and less Beetlejuice Review. If they do it that way they can have kids in the land without scaring them (think Haunted Mansion queue and Team Member outfits and makeup) and post signs on the rides warning of more intense horror elements.
No concern for the kids here. I give a 6yo a ride to school and she loves monsters and scary stuff as so many of them do at a young age. Slime and gore are cool to them

Reactions: belloq87
Yeah, worth mentioning that I first got into the Classic Monsters on VHS when I was 5 or 6. Plenty of kids can handle -- and enjoy! -- spookier stuff without being talked-down-to, more than they're often given credit for.

There's a balance that can (and should) be struck between playing things "straight" (i.e. not goofy-ing up the monsters or the location), honoring the atmosphere of the movies, and not making the entire land a bunch of jump scares waiting to happen that would totally alienate families walking around.

I would like the big dark ride to have a bit of visceral intensity to it, but my comparison for that would be the Dementors scene on Forbidden Journey, which I think is a pretty frightening scene (especially if you're unprepared for it).

Last edited:
No concern for the kids here. I give a 6yo a ride to school and she loves monsters and scary stuff as so many of them do at a young age. Slime and gore are cool to them
I'm sure most kids will be desensitized to most of what Universal could put in this land, but I'm more hoping the land isn't watered down in order to cater to kids. Universal's always had that reputation of being more "adult" that the mouse down the road, I hope they really lean into that for the attractions here. I remember being scared as hell on Jaws as a kid but thinking it was the coolest thing ever because it was legitimately scary.

Given what we've heard about this area why wouldn't we be expecting Frankenstein to be the main focus?

And newsflash, the CM houses, especially those involving Frankenstein, have been *very* steampunk.

If it’s like the 2009 Frankenstein house, we’re in good hands.
Immediately where my mind went too

Which part of Knockturn Alley is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.