Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 399 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just that if the 20 acres are EU and the 7 acres are Pokemon or Zelda, then the park's pretty much set. You also don't want a Galaxy's Edge situation where you burn all your expansion space on what seems like a sure-bet, when you could have allocated it more conservatively to the same effect.

Those 20 acres really can't be split in two if they want to continue the hub gateway structure. The main expansion plot is too far back. It's going to be one IP only.
They can set the portals further and make that bottleneck a part of the hub. I doubt they would be so strict on how they use that land when it was always a possibility they wouldn't get the license for LOTR.

Reactions: Nico
It's just that if the 20 acres are EU and the 7 acres are Pokemon or Zelda, then the park's pretty much set. You also don't want a Galaxy's Edge situation where you burn all your expansion space on what seems like a sure-bet, when you could have allocated it more conservatively to the same effect.

They can set the portals further and make that bottleneck a part of the hub. I doubt they would be so strict on how they use that land when it was always a possibility they wouldn't get the license for LOTR.

I see the validity in not finishing the park too quickly, but I don’t know how you get bigger properties than those two. Then the additional rides in each land. Plus, for once Universal as a resort has sooooo much space to play with for the next decade or two. And it’s important to remember that this is speculation ON speculation.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
I know this is unlikely, and they would have to give Microsoft a call to make it happen, but I just couldn’t help how fitting Banjo Kazooie would be for Super Nintendo World as a sub area in Epic Universe. The games from the series are technically set in the Mario and DK universe.

While LOTR is a popular IP, its not a massive merch mover which is where Potter and Nintendo succeed. The stats show this.

Makes way more sense to make Pokemon 20 acres than LOTR in terms of ROI.

Also looking at kids as kids drive parents to go to theme parks makes even more sense to use minions in EU than LOTR.

Last edited:
Ultimately I think having LOTR at EU would be a plus. I think Uni should be looking at other IP to potentially acquire or get rights to help them fill out their offerings.

Of course they haven’t fully utilized their in house catalog yet. But being aggressive like Disney does pay off eventually.

Reactions: rageofthegods
Could Universal do more with Marvel? I know Disney has the Avengers tied up on the west coast but Universal has everything else right? A Marvel land might be interesting. That being said it might be that Universal only has the rights for Marvel within IOA. And that getting another Marvel land in another park might be out of the question.

Could Universal do more with Marvel? I know Disney has the Avengers tied up on the west coast but Universal has everything else right? A Marvel land might be interesting. That being said it might be that Universal only has the rights for Marvel within IOA. And that getting another Marvel land in another park might be out of the question.

It would make more sense than to expand it into Toon Lagoon than to bring it to EU. There was nothing in the agreement stating MSHI could only be a certain size...

It would make more sense than to expand it into Toon Lagoon than to bring it to EU. There was nothing in the agreement stating MSHI could only be a certain size...
True that would make more sense. But I just don't see Universal tearing down any of the current "islands". Although if I could tear down one island from IOA it would be Toon Lagoon. That place is severely out of date with anybody younger than 40. Popeye, Dagwood, Dudley Do-Right?

True that would make more sense. But I just don't see Universal tearing down any of the current "islands". Although if I could tear down one island from IOA it would be Toon Lagoon. That place is severely out of date with anybody younger than 40. Popeye, Dagwood, Dudley Do-Right?

Also since Universal via Dreamworks gave up their control of Jay Ward studios a few months back...they no longer hold the rights to Dudley so now the entire land is owned by other companies, its not worth it

The problem with a single LOTR land is the iconic locations are too diverse. I don't know how you shoehorn a hobbit hole and Mt Doom in the same land. Let alone Minis Tirith, the two towers, etc. They'd have to do some heavy pruning just to make it work thematically.

I'm on the fence on whether they should or not. Its certainly one of the biggest IP's left thats not tied up. But it's getting old, and I have doubts about the new material revitalizing it. Will it move merch and sell tickets beyond the die hard LOTR fans?

But by god, if they do build it, we better get the eye of sauron tower where the eye has a built in spotlight that can follow guests. That is one of the most creative ideas I've ever heard.

The problem with a single LOTR land is the iconic locations are too diverse. I don't know how you shoehorn a hobbit hole and Mt Doom in the same land. Let alone Minis Tirith, the two towers, etc. They'd have to do some heavy pruning just to make it work thematically.

I'm on the fence on whether they should or not. Its certainly one of the biggest IP's left thats not tied up. But it's getting old, and I have doubts about the new material revitalizing it. Will it move merch and sell tickets beyond the die hard LOTR fans?

But by god, if they do build it, we better get the eye of sauron tower where the eye has a built in spotlight that can follow guests. That is one of the most creative ideas I've ever heard.
So you're saying 4th park? ;)

Sadly, expanding Marvel is restricted to only IOA, and not anywhere else since Disney's acquisition of Marvel in 2009.

The narrative I heard growing up was always, “this story could never be made into a movie. It’s just too big.”

And now the Peter Jackson films are so respected, the narrative has become “the theme park better be based on the original movies and not this Amazon show.”

So, every time I hear someone say they couldn’t possibly turn this property into a theme park land, I’m reminded of what they said before the Peter Jackson films came out about turning it into movies.

The narrative I heard growing up was always, “this story could never be made into a movie. It’s just too big.”

And now the Peter Jackson films are so respected, the narrative has become “the theme park better be based on the original movies and not this Amazon show.”

So, every time I hear someone say they couldn’t possibly turn this property into a theme park land, I’m reminded of what they said before the Peter Jackson films came out about turning it into movies.
I mean look at Harry Potter with its huge expansive world. They took three popular locations and built a land with that and people we’re more than satisfied.

Granted LOTR is definitely a lot harder to do that with but I think Uni Creative can find a way to make it work. Honestly I’m not sure how I feel about this taking up the biggest expansion plot at EU.

If it does I hope it’s like you said in your video…a huge land with multiple sections and attractions.

I mean look at Harry Potter with its huge expansive world. They took three popular locations and built a land with that and people we’re more than satisfied.

Granted LOTR is definitely a lot harder to do that with but I think Uni Creative can find a way to make it work. Honestly I’m not sure how I feel about this taking up the biggest expansion plot at EU.

If it does I hope it’s like you said in your video…a huge land with multiple sections and attractions.

LOTR and Potter are too different beasts.

And it tied to the worldbuilding. Lord of the Ring World building was super focused on the races, politics, and geography of things. So when it comes down to making a land, that is what is going to be easy for universal but the trouble will be in regards to food and beverage as Tolkien didn't write and add that stuff in the books nor did the movie create any memorable meals or drinks that everyone is dying to try and the dishes mentioned are extremely similar to what is served in Potter.

For me, when it comes down to it, thats why I don't think LOTR works at this time. People have come to expect a one of kind immersive experience where food/retail, location, and attractions come together and while we have a lot of strength in the location and attraction, the food/retail is lacking in uniqueness.

LOTR and Potter are too different beasts.

And it tied to the worldbuilding. Lord of the Ring World building was super focused on the races, politics, and geography of things. So when it comes down to making a land, that is what is going to be easy for universal but the trouble will be in regards to food and beverage as Tolkien didn't write and add that stuff in the books nor did the movie create any memorable meals or drinks that everyone is dying to try and the dishes mentioned are extremely similar to what is served in Potter.

For me, when it comes down to it, thats why I don't think LOTR works at this time. People have come to expect a one of kind immersive experience where food/retail, location, and attractions come together and while we have a lot of strength in the location and attraction, the food/retail is lacking in uniqueness.
I mean we can’t judge the food before we see what they come up with.

Reactions: JS610 and OrlLover
Status
Not open for further replies.