Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 491 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then we can all agree that theme parks elevate what normally would be standard flat rides into something special with decorations, theme, music, and more.
I believe that, ideally, theme parks should try to elevate flat rides, yes.

I don't know that a flat ride currently exists in Orlando that I'd call particularly "special," but I'm not the audience, and they have a utility in a fully-rounded theme park that I can't deny.
I'll see your Jaws/Jungle Cruise only if they use glass bottom boats.

Edit: Other option is a dark version of Na'vi River Journey
A glass bottom could be a really fun, unique element to play with.

And yes, a darker, more intense (maybe a drop or two), more expansive River Journey is kind of exactly what I'd want. A Jaws/Jungle Cruise for the 2020s in a showbuilding, basically.

Not really, no. They can certainly be nice set decorations used tastefully and sporadically (Simpsons spinner) but are more often non-entities (Storm Force) or actively detrimental (Magic Carpet). Only very, very rarely are they anything more (Maters Jamboree would fit in that very small group). Dumbo is illustrative here - supposedly a beloved attraction and one of the icons of the park, Disney moved it and ridership diminished - turns out it was the location, not the most famous flat in the world, that was the draw. (The one flat that always seems to bolster a park is the carousel - which EU is getting! Yay! ) Generally, flats don’t really add much and only subtract if they serve as an excuse not to add other, more interesting attractions.

While there are definitely flats that just get shoved into a park for capacity reasons without any regard to theming/place-setting, a well-executed flat could fit just about anywhere.

Obviously there are some exceptions to putting flats in areas like Potter/Star Wars, but you could pretty much put a flat in Nintendo, Monsters, and more throughout HTTYD to increase capacity/kinetics and it'll fit right in. Heck, I'm hoping they gut the plaza stage at USF to convert that turf into a Minions flat ride.

Also, Dumbo now has the luxury of a ridiculous amount of capacity with its dueling ride systems and virtual queue system.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe

I don't know that a flat ride currently exists in Orlando that I'd call particularly "special," but I'm not the audience, and they have a utility in a fully-rounded theme park that I can't deny.

I think the EU carousel is going to hit that spot. I think another hub spinner that uses the lighting on the trains along with a fancy glass building would add a lot to that area of the park. Theme it to meteorites or something and you'll have a beautiful experience.

See the Battery Park carousel at night, the inspiration for the EU carousel.

Flat rides are really important to a theme park. They're simple rides that anyone can understand, they can fit into small spaces, they never have a super long line, and they elevate the more impressive attractions in the park. Should a park rely on them? No. But Epic is using them perfectly IMO.

Epic also has two, so having a third is not bad. Hell, MK has three flat rides and they're the exact same ride type.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the EU carousel is going to hit that spot. I think another hub spinner that uses its lighting along with a fancy glass building would add a lot to that area of the park.
I think the EU carousel looks fantastic. But by my count, on opening EU will be tied for the second most flats of any of Orlando’s 7 major theme parks (if you count the splash battle -if not, it’s alone at 3rd). Flats are not the area on which it needs to focus.

That said, I actually agree the central garden area, big and relatively open, COULD stand another flat or two. I’d have much rather have had them move a flat out of Dragon and put it in the hub - adding a dark ride to Dragon to compensate, of corse.

I think the EU carousel is going to hit that spot. I think another hub spinner that uses the lighting on the trains along with a fancy glass building would add a lot to that area of the park. Theme it to meteorites or something and you'll have a beautiful experience.

See the Battery Park carousel at night, the inspiration for the EU carousel.

Epic also has two, so having a third is not bad. Hell, MK has three flat rides and they're the exact same ride type.

Don't we have three? The carousel, the Sky-Flies, and the Splash Battle? I guess the latter technically has a track, but I kinda lump it in with the Disco flats in that regard.

Reactions: Nico
I just realized why a glass bottom boat in a theme park won't work (at least without some very creative work arounds)...

The TRACK.

You could do trackless with a real motor and steering but the timing with animatronics and effects would be all over the place. And you would always have boat captains getting too close to the creature.

Reactions: graspthesun
I just realized why a glass bottom boat in a theme park won't work (at least without some very creative work arounds)...

The TRACK.

You could do trackless with a real motor and steering but the timing with animatronics and effects would be all over the place. And you would always have boat captains getting too close to the creature.

Slot car style boat ride with retractable pieces.....theme the boat to where on the front is for passengers and glass bottom but the back where the wheels are support ....so any visible piece people would have to look back and not forward.

If it was up to me, I would love to see something of a mix of Kong story telling, a more stylized jungle cruise boat (maybe scoop boat themed and put the ride vehicle on a gimbal that moves through the ride on a track), popeyes rapids and thrill, and Navi River Journey level environment. I think if they make it a simple boat ride, it won't be well received and I think there needs to be something fresh....

I was gonna say that a glass bottom boat on a ride track is not going to be as pretty as you'd think.

I don't want rides. I want themed shopping experiences. /s

The TRACK.

I think this could actually be a really cool implementation of a screen on the floor that gives the illusion of a glass bottom boat while allowing for really fun (and scary!) scenes.

Reactions: graspthesun
I think this could actually be a really cool implementation of a screen on the floor that gives the illusion of a glass bottom boat while allowing for really fun (and scary!) scenes.
It’s a very clever idea, but it runs into the problem of seating configuration. It’s a big problem a lot of the opening day Uni rides had - a lot of cool things went on in the attractions, but the seating meant some people saw a few cool things, some people saw no cool things, and very few guests saw ALL the cool things.

The TRACK.

Make it one of those cool semi-3D screens. Ta-da. Practical effects around you where they should be, screen bottom for practical reasons.

I’d say Universal has already done it with Dr. Doom. Regardless of how people feel about the ride experience itself, it’s a basic flat ride with a:
1.) elaborate queue/set-up
2.) in-story justification for its structure
3.) aesthetic appeal

I don’t think the problem is flat rides in general, there’s just not enough of them in the theme parks to prove that they can be done “right.”

I wouldn't have personally considered Doom a flat ride, but to the extent that they elevated an otherwise pretty basic ride concept, I'll count it, sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.