Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 325 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mt. Prometheus is the central icon that’s meant to be seen much like Cinderella Castle. Raging Spirits is themed as a mine train which last I checked need tracks in reality to work so nothing is out of theme. When it comes to Dragon Challenge, well, point me to a scene in the movies or a page of the books where such a mass of steel looms over Hogsmeade.

I’ll wait.

Then I change my answer to Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster

But Raging Spirits is themed to an archaeological exploration of ancient ruins. That kind of thing doesn’t require a looping mine train to excavate in real life. And personally, I think most rides could stand to spend less time justifying their existence. There's a mass of steel because it's a ride. I don't need some airtight reason explaining why the Haunted Mansion is filled with Doom Buggies. Movies don't come up with an in-story reason to justify why they're cutting to different camera angles (unless it's found footage, I guess). We just accept that the unnatural device is necessary to the experience.

I get the sense that some would hate if the new park included rides like Hulk or Dueling Dragons, and if I were betting, I'd say there won't be any. But in their original incarnations, they were both wonderfully themed experiences where the queues built to a single emotion or conflict that the guests got to experience through the coaster. It may be a little more abstract than some would like, but in spite of the marvelous engineering involved, parks are dreamscapes where emotion rules over left-brain thinking.

The only chance I can see of something of the sorts in regards to a dueling coaster, is if it would be highly themed and with no inversions. And, if they have to go over guest pathways, that they'd cover the bottoms to reduce the amount of crap falling to the ground.

Otherwise, I don't see it happening; at all.

Reactions: Magic-Man
Status
Not open for further replies.