Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Expansion?

I read on the Fear Factor thread that USO has some sort of new experience for 2024 after Villain Con in 2023. A theory I have is that if we see no movement in USF in 2023 after Villain Con opens, the 2024 addition will be a new slide for VB. It seems like the only possible thing they can build in a year timeframe that is from scratch. (SLOP at USH took 2 years to build starting in 2018 and would have opened in 2020 if it was not for the pandemic and SNW at Japan took 3 years starting in 2017 and would have once again opened in 2020 too if not for the pandemic)

With the addition of 3 more on-site hotels (ignoring the W and possibly others), as well as Epic Universe; I’m curious what UOR’s plans are at VB since attendance at the resort overall will no doubt increase.

Is UOR going to take a “wait and see” before expanding at VB or try to preemptively stay ahead of it?
My guess would be the former.

With the addition of 3 more on-site hotels (ignoring the W and possibly others), as well as Epic Universe; I’m curious what UOR’s plans are at VB since attendance at the resort overall will no doubt increase.

Is UOR going to take a “wait and see” before expanding at VB or try to preemptively stay ahead of it?
Yeah I would guess so. They're likely more concerned with keeping USF and IOA up to snuff with EU.

I have to assume they are planning on doing something soon, that park hits capacity much more often than it should, especially with that lot at the back of the park prime for something.

Talk a few years ago was that expansion was imminent. That's been crickets since then.
I remember the articles while it was opening back in 17'- that they already had expansion plans ready to go.

Curious if COVID derailed them and then they just shifted all their resources elsewhere?

I still go 3-4 times a year as its my favorite park- and capacity is never an issue. But I go in shoulder and off season times (January, September, etc). I don't know if an expansion is even worth it just to help ease the summer crowds- because they're coming regardless. But the area is big enough so maybe the extra food and merch just in spring break/summer when its at capacity would be enough for ROI?

I don't blame them for waiting. Hopefully with Epic and their estimates of people staying longer VB is at capacity longer where it forces their hand.

Side note: How much is VB my favorite park? I'm standing in the middle of the Roman Forum in Sicily a few weeks ago and I look to my kids and told them I wish we were at VB (it was hot). :lmao:

I remember the articles while it was opening back in 17'- that they already had expansion plans ready to go.

Curious if COVID derailed them and then they just shifted all their resources elsewhere?

I still go 3-4 times a year as its my favorite park- and capacity is never an issue. But I go in shoulder and off season times (January, September, etc). I don't know if an expansion is even worth it just to help ease the summer crowds- because they're coming regardless. But the area is big enough so maybe the extra food and merch just in spring break/summer when its at capacity would be enough for ROI?

I don't blame them for waiting. Hopefully with Epic and their estimates of people staying longer VB is at capacity longer where it forces their hand.

Side note: How much is VB my favorite park? I'm standing in the middle of the Roman Forum in Sicily a few weeks ago and I look to my kids and told them I wish we were at VB (it was hot). :lmao:

If the plans were in place before opening, then it was probably Proslide who had the contract and given the recent troubles between them and Universal, I'm going to guess that the plans are off the table.

Mix in Covid and it's easy to see why nothing has happened yet.

I also think that water park expansions are fairly low cost relative to what is now expected for theme parks. Universal has an ace up its sleeve with the expansion pad and will probably play it when they want a cheap add on.

Hello, my friend, good to see you posting on Orlando theme parks again. You generally have pretty good insights.

I think these are strong considerations, coupled with the ProSlide friction mentioned by @Scott W. I could see them doing an expansion a year or two post Epic assuming that launch goes relatively smoothly - helps remind people the park is there and gives them extra capacity to deal with those (hopefully) new crowds.

Since waterpark additions are much cheaper and faster than theme park additions, so this could be a quick and easy add at any time. I have a felling it's coming soon...

Beyond that, my understanding is ProSlide wildly overstated the capacity potentials of its slides, and those stats were used to develop/tailor the TapuTapu system. Resulted in a lot of growing pains for the park.
Interesting

Question: do you know if any sort of exclusivity deal was signed with Proslide that would result in Universal having to wait a certain period of time for the contract to expire before seeking slides from other companies?

I know this isn’t the USUAL business practice, but if they developed some sort of discount deal for expansion based upon an exclusivity clause, that could also be having an effect on things.