Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Unless you're staying on site and they have your credit card info when you check in.
The reason for this is that it actually saves disney money by doing this way and also keeps them from having to meet credit card security rules.

By using the card you checked in with and allowed linked spending you are essentially saying that you trust them and their charges. Then every time you pay by linked account it is just charging to your room bill which is then cashed in at the end of your stay. This means disney doesn't get charged a transaction fee for each payment and is instead only charged the one. On a small scale it isn't that huge of a deal but I imagine in the big picture it probably saves them at the very least thousands of dollars a month.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The reason for this is that it actually saves disney money by doing this way and also keeps them from having to meet credit card security rules.

By using the card you checked in with and allowed linked spending you are essentially saying that you trust them and their charges. Then every time you pay by linked account it is just charging to your room bill which is then cashed in at the end of your stay. This means disney doesn't get charged a transaction fee for each payment and is instead only charged the one. On a small scale it isn't that huge of a deal but I imagine in the big picture it probably saves them at the very least thousands of dollars a month.

I don't know if it's the same in the US as the UK but you get charged a % for credit cards and a smaller % and fixed fee (usually something small) for debit cards here and most hotels require a credit card. I'm sure Disney have got a good deal on the rates they're charged though.

Regardless, Disney will make a ton more money per guest by taking away the value of money by giving you a wristband and since all your items can be delivered to your room, guests might not realise just how much they're spending.

But all these things were things they could do with the old room keycard system.

As noted by there being RFID key cards if you don't want a band.

Tell me again why these bands exist? Because guests enjoy contorting their arms to get the band in the right position? Because tapping a card was too easy...?

But all these things were things they could do with the old room keycard system.

Tell me again why these bands exist? Because guests enjoy contorting their arms to get the band in the right position? Because tapping a card was too easy...?
Boy, you're right about having to contort your hand to get it in the right position. It sure causes lots of holdups on the fast pass+ entrance and line checkpoints. Not counting trying to contort your wrist to get in your room if you're holding packages. Maybe they should have used a circle instead of Mickey's head so it would work anyway you turn it, instead of needing that perfect alignment. The hotel express cards at Universal actually work smoother. We use a lanyard so you don't have to go in & out of your wallet.

The technology would have cost next to nothing to make if the RFID chips were already in use. Take the chip, put it in a band and that's it.

There is a novelty to it and it will add some excitement when it arrives weeks before your trip (I'm assuming they don't send out cards in advance).

As for the conscience, it's no more effort than using your card but it's a lot easier to put your wrist up than fishing through your wallet for your room key and if every member of your trip gets their own unique band, it saves the key holder getting the key out every time a member wants to buy something. I'm not sure if they're in use at the water parks but it would be a lot easier to have a band than a key in your pocket, if your swimming attire allows it and it will be easier to lose a key.

Banks put the kibosh on that back in the planning stages.

Really? That is silly. You can save your credit card information all over the Web and if someone steals your PC or your phone will most likely be able to buy stuff from any site you have used in the past. Not to mention if someone hacks one of those sites. Not to mention a credit card could drop and someone picks it up and can use it anywhere in Disney. However the band is attached to your wrist, harder to lose, and you have a pin you put in every time you use it. It is way more secure than your card which anyone that picks it up can use it.

As for a card vs wristband. I can tell you as a parent the wristband is 100x easier than a card. It is attached to my child's wrist so I don't have to do the finding and handing out of cards every ride we have a fast pass on and at the entrance of the park. Way easier for families, which is Disney's target market.

Reactions: Journey_On
Yeah, I was reading about that on a Disney oriented site. It was certainly receiving a "very chilling" reception. I don't think I read one single response defending Disney.

Yeah I don't see many people saying they would do this. I keep in mind this is a survey and parks ask all kinds of things they never actually do.

Reactions: Scott W.
Yeah I don't see many people saying they would do this. I keep in mind this is a survey and parks ask all kinds of things they never actually do.
Lately, though, when it's a cost oriented survey, it seems Disney ends up with an official announcement not long after the survey. There was one batch of interesting comments from people on the forum I was reading. They said there was an early in the survey question on whether they followed or posted on theme park internet sites. They said as soon as they answered affirmative to that question, the survey questions ended, and they were thanked for their participation. If this is true, it sounds like Disney only cares what the uninformed people have to say.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I hate resort fees with a passion and this is starting to get ridiculous from Disney by trying to squeeze every last penny.
I wouldn't mind the fee, that's kind of like Universal's parking fee that only affects us tourists with cars, BUT, the fact that on site Disney hotels are "way" overpriced compared to off site hotels or even Universal on site hotels, is what makes this such an overt cash grab. I'm one of those that stays on site when visiting Disney, but I've been seriously thinking that if I visit a WDW park in the future, I'll do it from a Universal on site hotel that's more reasonable in price and generally has better rooms & more amenities.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I wouldn't mind the fee, that's kind of like Universal's parking fee that only affects us tourists with cars, BUT, the fact that on site Disney hotels are "way" overpriced compared to off site hotels or even Universal on site hotels, is what makes this such an overt cash grab. I'm one of those that stays on site when visiting Disney, but I've been seriously thinking that if I visit a WDW park in the future, I'll do it from a Universal on site hotel that's more reasonable in price and generally has better rooms & more amenities.

If they would add one or two new things that weren't free before I would be OK with this. But the fact that everything on that list is free today is kind just a cash grab.

Also, I get the whole not wanting theme park forum people. If you think about it we many times have way different views or opinions that the GP which the GP makes up the largest part of their attendance. So I think it is more trying to target their largest group of people and getting their opinions and not messing up their results with theme park forum people. Also, it might have to do with not wanting stuff posted on these sites, but I doubt that will stop.

If they would add one or two new things that weren't free before I would be OK with this. But the fact that everything on that list is free today is kind just a cash grab.

Also, I get the whole not wanting theme park forum people. If you think about it we many times have way different views or opinions that the GP which the GP makes up the largest part of their attendance. So I think it is more trying to target their largest group of people and getting their opinions and not messing up their results with theme park forum people. Also, it might have to do with not wanting stuff posted on these sites, but I doubt that will stop.

I don't know if it's so much a different view or opinion because we have the knowledge to see things for what they are. If somebody shows up and sees a resort fee, they probably wouldn't question it but I guarantee if you told that person that everything they just paid for was free not too long ago, they would change their opinion.

Is this resort fee just for the more expensive hotels or for every hotel?

I don't know if it's so much a different view or opinion because we have the knowledge to see things for what they are. If somebody shows up and sees a resort fee, they probably wouldn't question it but I guarantee if you told that person that everything they just paid for was free not too long ago, they would change their opinion.

On what hotel or hotels, I have no idea. I didn't see the survey so I'm just commenting on what others were saying.

But that is the thing. Disney wants the normal person, not us. Because we make up such a small population of people that attend parks. If the normal person doesn't care and won't complain then they will do it. If the normal person cares, then they won't do it. They don't want our opinion because we will care, I doubt there is one person on this site that would say yes, I would be OK for a $15 fee of things I get for free today.

On what hotel or hotels, I have no idea. I didn't see the survey so I'm just commenting on what others were saying.

It's just that only deluxe hotels were mentioned in the surey.

But that is the thing. Disney wants the normal person, not us. Because we make up such a small population of people that attend parks. If the normal person doesn't care and won't complain then they will do it. If the normal person cares, then they won't do it. They don't want our opinion because we will care, I doubt there is one person on this site that would say yes, I would be OK for a $15 fee of things I get for free today.

I kind of went full circle with that. You're absolutely right.

One thing about surveys, they can be worded to get the result they wanted, then use that as an excuse. I've often read that complaint about Disney surveys that were rigged to show positive slants. That way if they do something, they can use the survey as an excuse for the move, even though they received that result by fooling the survey taker.

Reactions: IzzyB
Oh yeah, your name on a screen was TOTALLY worth that multi million dollar investment.

ET has at least been saying your name for how long...?