What does Jurassic Park need? | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

What does Jurassic Park need?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't think Jurassic Park NEEDS anything right now because it is a somewhat dying franchise.

However, I hope that this Islands of Adventure fixer upper that they have planned- and are already starting with paint jobs and what not- includes bringing back the Triceratops Encounter. And if they don't, I hope that they eventually use that land for something, rather than keeping it blocked off forever.

Here's a thought: Why not expand Camp Jurassic and add some kiddie rides?! I know some of you might not like the idea, but you can't deny the fact that it's pretty plausible and economical. It's also a well know fact that kids LOVE dinosaurs.

Right next to camp Jurassic... how convenient...

2uyjakm.jpg

I don't think Jurassic Park NEEDS anything right now because it is a somewhat dying franchise.

However, I hope that this Islands of Adventure fixer upper that they have planned- and are already starting with paint jobs and what not- includes bringing back the Triceratops Encounter. And if they don't, I hope that they eventually use that land for something, rather than keeping it blocked off forever.

Here's a thought: Why not expand Camp Jurassic and add some kiddie rides?! I know some of you might not like the idea, but you can't deny the fact that it's pretty plausible and economical. It's also a well know fact that kids LOVE dinosaurs.

Right next to camp Jurassic... how convenient...

2uyjakm.jpg

That unused piece of land is bugging me...:bang:

Just re-open Triceratops Encounter. We all miss it...

-Cusi

I watched the Islands of Adventure Behind the Scenes videos on Youtube just yesterday. I never got to experience Triceratops Encounter but from the video I can greatly appreciate that attention to detail and am sad that I was never able to experience it. If Universal Creative can work out a way around the high staffing requirements and the low capacity, they should definitely bring it back, or at least make it something similar. I don't think JP needs another E-ticket attraction. It just needs people to stay there longer than enough to ride JPRA.

I watched the Islands of Adventure Behind the Scenes videos on Youtube just yesterday. I never got to experience Triceratops Encounter but from the video I can greatly appreciate that attention to detail and am sad that I was never able to experience it. If Universal Creative can work out a way around the high staffing requirements and the low capacity, they should definitely bring it back, or at least make it something similar. I don't think JP needs another E-ticket attraction. It just needs people to stay there longer than enough to ride JPRA.

That's what the playground is for. When I was younger, I would spend hours in that place. It's definitely a pretty epic playground.

I hope they reopen Triceratops Encounter...

That's what the playground is for. When I was younger, I would spend hours in that place. It's definitely a pretty epic playground.

I hope they reopen Triceratops Encounter...

That site has been sitting pretty for almost 5 years now. No way Universal is looking back on that now. :bang: Personally, I want my JP Jeep tour.

I too would love either the JP Jeep Tour or some type of an encounter to return.

JP Jeep Tour would be good with me but they need a story that is different than JPRA in a jeep. If they can pull it off than I would love it.

Any type of encounter is always good with me. I liked Triceratops Encounter when it was still around and we all want it back.

I've gone through this entire thread and not once did someone talk about putting the proposed Helicoptours in the space where they have triceratops encounter. imagine if they put a giant Aviary dome up around a relatively small showbuilding. The ride could simply be like "Wild Arctic", but with more motion and 3D screens. maybe some live action animatronics or a tour guide? "Welcome to the Jurassic Park aviary! On today's journey, you will be able to fly alongside some of the largest creatures to ever take flight...." blah blah blah...."oh no we've been hit! we've got make an emergency landing!" at this point, the pteranadons are surrounding your helicopter as you're flying through the aviary, so you try to set down only to see velociraptors jumping up at the chopper's skids. you hear/feel thumps coming from the floor as the raptor's snouts hit. after several narrow escapes, maybe even an homage to 'back to the future', you manage to land and your ride deposits you in the JP Discovery center. Thoughts?

I think a Jeep Tours ride would be the best. It could be repetitive or it could blow people's minds. We can only imagine if they pulled off the scene where the T-Rex chases the Jeep.

Imagine a huge AA T-rex chasing after you and escaping it right before it gets to your vehicle. It could truly be mind-blowing.

But, I can't see them doing this because I don't know where they'd fit it. Is there a lot of space left around JP?

the helicoptours is a lot more likely to be built than the jeep ride for a number of reasons:
1. Economy of space - they could fit it where Trike Encounter is, or behind thunder falls terrace.
2. Expense - a motion simulator is a lot cheaper to construct, with the possibility of being updated (ala Star Tours 2)
3. Repetition - to have two rides where your vehicle barely escapes a giant t-rex would be bad business. if you've been on one, you've been on the other. the simulator gives the freedom to explore hostile dinosaurs that haven't been used on the river adventure. not to mention that disney basically OWNS this ride, as some other people have pointed out. Dinosaur already exists. Why does universal need to copy disney? (and yes, i know universal had the river adventure and jeep tour idea before disney built Dinosaur.)

Last edited:
^Very good points. Also, following The Wizarding World of Harry-Potter, Universal is unlikely to build another large-scale attraction for a few years. A simulator is much more realistic option, and it'd add some new-life into Jurassic Park.

i think over the next 5 years, after the potter boost has started to wear off, Universal is going to look for something new at IOA. I understand that they intend to build Transformers in hollywood by 2012, so odds are they will be that to USF in 2013. but around that time they will need to be in development of something entirely new at IOA if they want to keep both parks fresh. I really hope that JP4 is in the works by that time, because we would probably get to see the Helicoptours go up. I really think this will be the next addition to IOA after potter.

Unfortunately, half of Islands of Adventure is built on movies, books, and characters that may lose their popularity. For example, Toon Lagoon is based entirely on comic strips. What happens when a cartoonist dies, his comic strip is no longer published, and it's forgotten? Or, a more important matter, what happens when newspapers finally die-out and become extinct? And what if comic strips go with them? This will leave a whole-entire theme park area based-off characters nobody knows about. Due to these reasons, I wouldn't be surprised to see Toon Lagoon rethemed in the next decade or two.

Another area I'd expect to get some attention soon is Marvel Superhero Island. With Disney's claim on Marvel and the contract probably expiring in a matter of years anyway, I can easily imagine this area getting a new theme. The most likely retheme, in my opinion, would be SciFi City (like at Universal Studios Singapore).

Although Jurassic Park is based-off a movie, I think this area is the safest of the material-based islands. Jurassic Park is dinosaurs, and it can still be enjoyed without having ever seen (or heard) of the Jurassic Park movies.

Finally, Seuss Landing's fate all depends on if the books remain popular among young readers. As long as elementary school teachers and parents keep reading Green Eggs and Ham and The Cat in the Hat to children, I think this area can be expected to stay safe.

Just my viewpoints on some of the areas, anyway :)

Unfortunately, half of Islands of Adventure is built on movies, books, and characters that may lose their popularity. For example, Toon Lagoon is based entirely on comic strips. What happens when a cartoonist dies, his comic strip is no longer published, and it's forgotten? Or, a more important matter, what happens when newspapers finally die-out and become extinct? And what if comic strips go with them? This will leave a whole-entire theme park area based-off characters nobody knows about. Due to these reasons, I wouldn't be surprised to see Toon Lagoon rethemed in the next decade or two.

Ripsaw Falls and Popeye are both classics... they "died out" years ago, but that doesn't mean people don't like them. I don't see Toon Lagoon being replaced any time soon.

^I think Popeye has remained known to most people, despite his lack of appearances on TV, the Internet, or elsewhere. However, I doubt most people even have the faintest clue who Dudley Do-Right is. Will this decrease ridership? Not drastically, but guests would be more likely to ride it if it was based-on a familiar character (for example, if it was themed to SpongeBob, more younger guests would ride it. At the same time, less adults who are at the park without children would wait in line and ride it.)

The same applies when planning a vacation- a family is more likely to visit a park if they're already familiar with some of the stuff there. If nobody knew who Cinderella, Mickey Mouse, or Captain Jack Sparrow were, do you think Walt Disney World would attract half the guests it currently does? Of course not, and it's no different with Islands of Adventure or other theme parks in the country.