What does Jurassic Park need? | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

What does Jurassic Park need?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
With Disney's claim on Marvel and the contract probably expiring in a matter of years anyway

Universal's contract with Marvel is perpetual as long as USF remains in operation. Universal holds exclusive rights to use Marvel characters in a themed environment anywhere east of the Mississippi. And no, i didn't make that up, it was in the orlando sentinel after the buyout. If universal built another park in virginia they would be allowed to use marvel characters.

But Disney's ownership is definitely a problem for Universal, because the royalties on Marvel merchandise now go from USF to disney directly. So i can imagine that Universal may want to consider a re-theme, but it's very unlikely they actually will re-theme it. The money that gets paid out in Marvel merch is nothing compared to the money that marvel merch makes for Universal.

^I've also heard a rumor that Marvel must give the green-light to any proposed attractions for the area. And saying Disney now owns Marvel... :p

If Marvel was rethemed to "SciFi City", they could possibly replace Spider-Man with a Terminator dark-ride and retheme Hulk to a Men in Black attraction (although that may be a tad unrealistic, saying there's already a MIB attraction at the other park).

The situation works too well for both of them to change it any time soon. Marvel is still one of the biggest, if not the biggest draw for IOA and Disney gets a little off the top. I hope they never change the theme

The situation works too well for both of them to change it any time soon. Marvel is still one of the biggest, if not the biggest draw for IOA and Disney gets a little off the top. I hope they never change the theme

They just might have to in due time. Whereas they do retain the rights to keep the land and rides, they do not have the ability to just sell the merchandise. Therefore, any merchandise that is sold at the parks is a profit to Marvel which in turn is profit for Disney. Universal won't go for that for very long.

i really don't think the situation is very bad for universal or disney; they both are making money from universal's park but universal gets all the attention that spiderman and hulk gives them. if it weren't for those two star attractions, IOA would be dead in the water.

i really don't think the situation is very bad for universal or disney; they both are making money from universal's park but universal gets all the attention that spiderman and hulk gives them. if it weren't for those two star attractions, IOA would be dead in the water.

It's not a bad situation at all, especially for Disney. But is it a situation Universal wants to be in? Disney actually would not get any money from Universal as far as park related sales. They would only see profit from merch. On a side note, Marvel is not the sole reason Universal gets attention. That's a fairly misguided statement.

Either way, the "two star attractions" will still be there. Just under a new theme.

Yeah honestly, I know for me personally if Universal dropped Marvel from its themeing, it wouldn't deter me one bit. I enjoy the superhero flicks, but I'm not a fanboy by any sense. You could re-theme it to Golden Girls Island and I'd still have as much fun -- just re-paint Hulk pink, call it Blanche's Menopausal Rage, and I'm good to go. :thumbs:

First of all I'd like to see some improvements to the River Adventure like the famous scene from Universal Studios Hollywood with the falling truck!

And then of course a new major ride. I'd like to see the rumored Jeep Adventure, just like in the movie (Jurassic Park) at night, with lots of rain and a T-Rex encounter! Also being chased by a T-Rex driving backwards would be nice (I think it was Jurassic Park 2).

But seriously is there enough room for another majore attraction?

I can see the Jeep Safari in JP's future, but in the distant future. Personally I think a Jeep adventure like the one in the movie (t-rex chase, animatronic goat, blinding rain) would be too similar to the River Adventure. The story of IOA's Jurassic Park is to "finish where John Hammond left off". Therefore, the island should be more of the intended successful Jurassic Park rather than just like the movie.

That said, Jurassic Park needs an attraction with the essence of the Triceratops Encounter. Guests should be able to view the dinosaur in a zoo-like setting. The Jeep Safari could be really great, but a ride like Kilimanjaro Safaris at Animal Kingdom or Rhino Rally at Busch Gardens might require more staffing than Universal cares to hire (remember that was a major reason Triceratops was closed).

Also remember that, if the new attraction would go on Triceratops' former site, it would be visible from across the Great Inland Sea most likely. A giant aviary would not really be ideal, as well as any kind of large show building.

What I can see happening is branching a ride off of the Discovery Center, in a similar way that Soarin' at EPCOT branches off of Living With The Land pavilion. This could be a walk-through, the "Dinosaur DNA" ride like in the movie, or even something like the Jeep Safari, but somehow cover the entire ride circuit so Enhanced Motion Vehicle (EMV) technology may be used.

Personally, I think that the helicopter attraction, placed on the former Triceratops Encounter, would look fine when viewed from across the lagoon. The helicopter on top could be animated, with its rotors spinning occasionally.

helicopter.jpg

The attraction would obviously be a simulator like The Simpsons Ride. However, due to the required height for this type of attraction, the ride could be sunken a good twenty or thirty feet beneath ground-level. This would prevent it fro dominating the skyline.

How about a "Feed the Hungry Raptors" attraction where there are raptors in a cage going crazy...and your kids get to join them?

^Being a tad more realistic... :p
I wouldn't mind seeing some dinosaur "exhibits". If you're too short to ride Jurassic Park River Adventure, or you'd prefer not to get wet or something similar, there's no place in all of Jurassic Park you can see animated dinosaur animatronics besides the babies at the Discovery Center. A few exhibits with large dinosaur animatronics would fix this problem, and add something new and interesting.

^Being a tad more realistic... :p
I wouldn't mind seeing some dinosaur "exhibits". If you're too short to ride Jurassic Park River Adventure, or you'd prefer not to get wet or something similar, there's no place in all of Jurassic Park you can see animated dinosaur animatronics besides the babies at the Discovery Center. A few exhibits with large dinosaur animatronics would fix this problem, and add something new and interesting.

that is a FANTASTIC idea.

It would basically be the ultimate refurb for the Tric encounter.

or the helicopTOURS... but I don't see that happening unless the 4th movie is absolutely amazing... which I doubt... a lot...

when i was in 7th grade i started reading jurassic park (i had already seen the movies) and i fell in love. What makes these stories as awesome as they are isn't so much the "everything goes wrong" aspect as "a theme park with dinosaurs"...universal needs to make sure they update soon, whether it's helicoptours or just a few AA dinosaurs snarling at me as i walk happily towards Forbidden Journey.

Here's the empty area by JPRA.

jp.jpg

The building overlaying it is Spiderman, so you can see that it's a good amount of land to house a grand attraction in the future.

i really hope that this rumored "JP4" script is actually being worked on, because if that film manages the response that Universal needs, then we could easily see this space taken up by a new attraction. let's hope that spielberg and joe johnston get on top of it now that indy 4 is done.