Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 156 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to agree with Teebin on this one. It can still be a family ride while having Mummy's height restriction also. More thrill and fun for all, where's your harm in that. If you really wanted a more tamer experience or something all the family can enjoy, I'm sure the new Hogwarts Express will suffice just fine. Hopefully they add a great walkthrough attraction too.

The harm is in the 48 inch height requirement. Nothing about that is 'family' friendly. It can be thrilling but they are going to want a vast audience. Forbidden Journey was already pushing it at 46 inches. Like I said. Expect 40-44 inches. The bigger the audience range the bigger your profit. The thrill will be in simulating danger for the most part. A Spiderman/Dinosaur/Thunder Mountain level of thrill. Universal already has enough 48-54 inch rides.

I think it's actually more the reason they'd aim for a 48". Forbidden Journey was incredibly successful and popular with a large audience and that's with that height requirement, I don't really see your reasoning.

Travel with families, you will understand. I am just saying don't be shocked or expect something necessarily of Mummy thrill factor or height requirement. It gives the typical 4-5 year old crowd absolutely nothing to experience as a big attraction. Forbidden Journey's height requirement has nothing to do with its success. It is just a great ride. It is the type of restraint that causes height requirements from the manufacturing and safety departments. Universal wishes they could have more younger children and smaller people ride Forbidden Journey. Then it would have an even bigger audience. I don't see how you can make an argument that a height requirement contributes to an attraction's success. If it is great it is great.

A ride can still be thrilling without a strict height requirement due to restraints.
Spiderman
Dinosaur
Tower of Terror
(list goes on)

Universal has craving only thrill crowd covered with Rip Ride Rockit and enough to appease them when they want more with theming with Revenge of The Mummy.

The only ride can of Harry Potter theme anyone under 48 inches can ride is The Flying Hippogriff. I think it is pretty straight forward and obvious why they would aim for letting as many people on the new big ticket as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtsalien
I am expecting Gringott's to have a height restriction of at least 48". The Hogwarts Express will not have a restrictive height limit.

Last edited:
Considering it's source material, which is very much like a coaster. I have a feeling it will be similar to Space Mountain or Rock and Roller Coaster, just with a higher level of theming. Since the FJ is so story based, I have a feeling this will be less so, especially if Daniel Radcliffe is not involved with shooting more scenes. I think the premise will be something like "take a tour of the bank vault" and the ride will be very dark, with only a few video screens.

Like I said earlier...Universal Studios actually has more "all ages" rides then Islands...so antoher thrill ride would actually balance out just fine. It's Islands that needs more young kid friendly stuff..because all they really have is Camp Jurassic and Seuss Land. Also, as mentioned The Hogwarts Express will probably be pretty tame, although you'll need a multi park pass just to experience it.

Is it possible that Universal may just raise ticket prices, and completely do away with the one park pass? It would save a lot of confusion on guests that want to ride the Express. It will be interesting to see how they handle this issue.

Considering it's source material, which is very much like a coaster. I have a feeling it will be similar to Space Mountain or Rock and Roller Coaster, just with a higher level of theming. Since the FJ is so story based, I have a feeling this will be less so, especially if Daniel Radcliffe is not involved with shooting more scenes. I think the premise will be something like "take a tour of the bank vault" and the ride will be very dark, with only a few video screens.

Like I said earlier...Universal Studios actually has more "all ages" rides then Islands...so antoher thrill ride would actually balance out just fine. It's Islands that needs more young kid friendly stuff..because all they really have is Camp Jurassic and Seuss Land. Also, as mentioned The Hogwarts Express will probably be pretty tame, although you'll need a multi park pass just to experience it.

Is it possible that Universal may just raise ticket prices, and completely do away with the one park pass? It would save a lot of confusion on guests that want to ride the Express. It will be interesting to see how they handle this issue.

I think Universal will just do away with park hopper and use it as a advertising gimmick (Both Parks for the price of one)
I also hope for more cross connections. If you can ride the Hogwarts Express from park to park why can't you walk ?or ride a boat (bring back Island skipper tours except from park to park)
I think changing all studio's turnstiles to entrance capable is so you can get in the park quicker for the new show.
Most in IOA will want to move to studio's for the show

I think Universal will just do away with park hopper and use it as a advertising gimmick (Both Parks for the price of one)
I also hope for more cross connections. If you can ride the Hogwarts Express from park to park why can't you walk ?or ride a boat (bring back Island skipper tours except from park to park)
I think changing all studio's turnstiles to entrance capable is so you can get in the park quicker for the new show.
Most in IOA will want to move to studio's for the show

This would definitely be in the best interest of everyone, excpet the consumer..I would imagine prices will most likely jump due to being forcred to buy a Park Hopper. The good side of this, is that all people will have access to both parks, which in turn will spread out crowds.

I remember I went to HHN several years ago, where you could walk from Studios to Islands through a walkway near the old Nickelodon studios. Maybe they could open that up? They definitely need another cross through then just the train, or having to walk back through Cityplace, and re-enter the parks turnstiles.

In reality, this makes a lot more sense then having to check/take tickets in order to ride the HE to travel between parks.

I may be the only one, but I can't help seeing this as a bit of a backwards step. It seems like UO have spent the last 13 years trying to highlight the fact they are two separate parks and a 'resort' (especially with the confusion and image problems IOA suffered in it's early years), but now they're blurring the lines on purpose. Remembering walking past the Citywalk banners proclaiming "Visit both parks!" on so many occasions and thinking, "hmm..."

It does seem like a gamble, but I think that there attendance will be high enough that they won't really be affected. I think they are still going to market the resort as two theme parks, just market it as "now two parks for the price of one"..and they will probably try to still sell the 2 park 2 day pass. As it's difficult to see everything in one day.

As much as i think more Potter is selling out (even though i'm a huge fan) I think only good things are going to come out of this I mean look at how much Phase1 (i'm assuming) has given us:
FJ (Probably my fav. ride at IOA) the Spiderman Refurb & i can only guess that the new lagoon show and parade are a result of capitalizing on Uni's Potter success

IMO i think we're in store for a new hotel, a CitiWalk expansion & possibly even another Theme Park. Sky's the limit when you have a juggernaut like HP behind the gates. Lol

Doing what the powers that be tell me to, lol.

At the end of the day, the real reason for this expansion is........

money-flying.jpg

It's all about the money, money, money
We just want your money, money, money
We just wanna make the worlddddd buy
Make 'em pay the priceeeeee tag
All about the cha-chang, cha-chang
All about the ba-bling, ba-bling
Wanna make the worlddddd buy
Make 'em pay the priceeeeee tag

-Hollywood

Last edited:
In an interview with SnitchSeeker.com, the art director of the first six Harry Potter films alludes to the expansion of WWOHP in Orlando (obliquely):
[video=youtube;yViaVexeTe4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yViaVexeTe4&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

SnitchSeeker: What products do you have coming up, what films are you working on this year?

Neil Lamont: I've got a little movie called Gambit coming out at some point this year, that I worked on with Stuart. We're just sort of wrapping up a project for Universal, in Orlando now, and I'm going off to do a film that starts on Monday, which I can't tell you about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felipe
^ adding to that, there was the statement that Gilmore is involved once again.

"Neil Lamont, art director for the first six Harry Potter films, revealed at the round table interviews at Warner Bros Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter on Thursday that he and production designer Stuart Craig are nearly done wrapping up a 'project' for Universal Studios Resorts in Orlando.

This more than likely references to final designs and plans of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion, also called Phase II of the theme park, or the rumoured "Project 722." Lamont, along with Alan Gilmore who helped design the currently-open Wizarding World theme park, are supervising Art Directors for the expansion set to open within the next few years, under head production designer Craig."

Status
Not open for further replies.