Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 483 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait wait wait.!!! Felipe and Reel! You are right and you are wrong at the same time... Those aren't the stoops... they are the skylight basement holes BETWEEN the stoops. That is why they have a wrought iron fences in front of them. Woo hoo!
^Mystery solved! :thumbs:

Woohoo!! :cheers:

Some amazing and "interactive" window displays coming to Phase 2. I'm most looking forward to Borgan and Bourkes. :thumbs:

Very much looking forward to it!! :thumbs:

Also, has it been confirmed that Borgin's and Knockturn Alley is on the right? If so, what is the left side road, a Diagon Alley exit from the train? Leaky Cauldron outdoor seating maybe?

I originally thought it was gonna be on the right, but I currently think KA and B&B will be to the left. And the HE should spit people out onto London, not DA. That way they can keep control of the crowds inside the DA area.

What stuck out to me in the Theme Park Insider article is this:

You won't see Diagon Alley from the rest of the park -- it'll be hidden behind the facades of Grimmauld Place, Wyndham's Theatre and other west end London landmarks. Only when you go through the adjacent Leicester Square station will you happen upon the "secret" entrance to the land, next to the Leaky Cauldron.

Leicester Square station is ugly as hell and has nothing to do with Harry Potter at all, so it seems a very odd choice for what is essentially the 'gateway' into this new land.

hatetofly, do you have any hints or information that might confirm if this is indeed true? It's puzzling me rather a lot!

Last edited:
Guys I got word from Eisner that this expansion is actually just a re-do of the jaws area. Nothing to see here everybody go home absolutely no harry potters here.
Edit : this is a giant ferris wheel themed to powerade.

Leicester Square station is ugly as hell and has nothing to do with Harry Potter at all, so it seems a very odd choice for what is essentially the 'gateway' into this new land.

Yeah, and the theater... what does that have to do with anything? And Grimmauld Place within spitting distance of Leaky Cauldron? It is all a far bigger stretch than a branch of Ollivanders in Hogsmeade.

^ My word, I wonder what that might represent...

Kings_Cross_Station_Platforms,_London_-_Sept_2007.jpg

Yeah, and the theater... what does that have to do with anything? And Grimmauld Place within spitting distance of Leaky Cauldron? It is all a far bigger stretch than a branch of Ollivanders in Hogsmeade.

The theater and station are on Charing Cross...along with Leaky.

For curious folks:
Wyhndam Theatre and Leicester Station (Charing Cross)

main-image.jpg

As for Grimmauld, Kings Cross isn't exactly on Charing Cross, but it's a theme park AND I expect it to feel much like the other city areas of the park, a mishmash. And there could be trees or something separating the theatre from Grimmauld.

From HBP when the Death Eaters fly into Diagon Alley:
Charing_Cross_Road_(HP6).gif

Last edited:
That makes a little more sense, thanks ReelJustice.

I walk past that theatre nearly every other week so it'll be rather strange for me to see it replicated in a theme park. There are plenty of pubs/bars along that street which they could easily base Leaky on plus a whole load of other interesting architecture. I'll keep an eye out once we get some facade construction and see if any match up to real world counterparts.

The theater and station are on Charing Cross...along with Leaky.

For curious folks:
Wyhndam Theatre and Leicester Station (Charing Cross)

Where is the station in that picture? Is it merely a subway station next door? Is that what the red circle on the more distant building is?

EDIT: I just did streetview... it is a subway. Thanks Reel, that is very helpful. It will be sad to see that beautiful theater building miniaturized to some extent.

I look forward to seeing the new steel arches as soon as one can get them up!

Last edited:
Teebin. The station actually has several entrances on multiple streets though none are any more significant than that shown next to the theatre. Inside its actually a circular structure.

I'll believe July 2014 when I see it. No way they're in a rush to get this thing open. It's going to be running like clockwork before they even soft it, and with the leaps and bounds we expect this to be making, I don't see that being the case by next summer. Throwing these buildings up will be different then testing the HE, cycling Gringotts, and working out all the bugs from the effects they'll be hiding everywhere. Holiday 2014 would be lucky.

I'll believe July 2014 when I see it. No way they're in a rush to get this thing open. It's going to be running like clockwork before they even soft it, and with the leaps and bounds we expect this to be making, I don't see that being the case by next summer. Throwing these buildings up will be different then testing the HE, cycling Gringotts, and working out all the bugs from the effects they'll be hiding everywhere. Holiday 2014 would be lucky.

Well, it's not yet April. HE has tracks supposedly. Gringotts has track installed. After seeing TF do what it did, I'm not so sure about timelines anymore.

One thing to remember is that the cycling will start at Gringotts well before the show is ready. And since they put the station in the major wiring job has probably already started.

Another thing to remember is just because there isn't testing in the building doesn't mean there is not testing going on right now. Remember FJ tested in a tent before the building was ready. Transformers Hollywood in a soundstage.

They aren't in a rush to get it opened? :p Maybe they aren't necessarily in a rush like they were to get Transformers, but surely they are not taking their time! Look at all the steel that has suddenly gone up, work is going to progress faster now that the bulk of Transformers is done.

Well, it's not yet April. HE has tracks supposedly. Gringotts has track installed. After seeing TF do what it did, I'm not so sure about timelines anymore.

TF is the problem here I think. That's what they're capable of in that situation. I don't see it being the new norm. Each project has its own challenges, this one significantly more so than TF.

One thing to remember is that the cycling will start at Gringotts well before the show is ready. And since they put the station in the major wiring job has probably already started.

Another thing to remember is just because there isn't testing in the building doesn't mean there is not testing going on right now. Remember FJ tested in a tent before the building was ready. Transformers Hollywood in a soundstage.

I'm not saying they won't be ready when the time comes. Just that Phase 2 is pushing it to the limit more than Phase 1 on its best day. It's not just new ground for Uni, this will turn the world on its head if it lives up to its potential. Don't forget the kinks of running a major attraction between two parks. There's just so much uncharted territory.

They aren't in a rush to get it opened? :p Maybe they aren't necessarily in a rush like they were to get Transformers, but surely they are not taking their time! Look at all the steel that has suddenly gone up, work is going to progress faster now that the bulk of Transformers is done.

Steel doesn't relate to the complex tide systems and effects were getting.

Soft in late summer? I'd still be shocked, but maybe. But July means we'd probably be seeing softs about a year from now, probably a little more. I don't buy it.

^ As I said the other day, more of this project is complete than the eye can see. Think Hogwarts, think Broomsticks interior. Also consider that there will not be ad nauseam custom stonework to sculpt and paint on site. The fact that props are being created right now syncs exactly with what I know from 2009-2010. So July 2014 sounds plausible to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.