Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 629 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what Whylightbulb at WDWMagic said about the Hogwarts Express tech a year ago:

Thanks for looking back!

During tests people have been getting a bit sick due to the ultra-realism and depth perception.

In hindsight, the statement above makes absolutely no sense. If it was so 'real' then why aren't hundreds of people getting sick on trains every day from looking out the windows? If people are getting sick in tests of the HE, then it is because the depth perception sucks or the sync is off or both.

In hindsight, the statement above makes absolutely no sense. If it was so 'real' then why aren't hundreds of people getting sick on trains every day from looking out the windows? If people are getting sick in tests of the HE, then it is because the depth perception sucks or the sync is off or both.

I'm no expert - just guessing here. But maybe if your eyes are convinced that they are seeing something real, but your body senses something different, might not the brain get confused and make you throw up?

It would be cool if they added some interactive stuff like this..
[video=youtube;aelhcmMJojg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aelhcmMJojg[/video]

Last edited:

For the same reason people get sick on The Simpsons but not on roller coasters

I'm no expert - just guessing here. But maybe if your eyes are convinced that they are seeing something real, but your body senses something different, might not the brain get confused and make you throw up?

Theoretically, this train won't move fast enough to influence you ears and eyes. You are probably correct if the train moves faster than 10mph, however, I am not sure what the threshold actually is.

For the same reason people get sick on The Simpsons but not on roller coasters

This is more a result of frame rate and severe motion. It used to be much worse on BTTF with the lower frame rate yet similar severe motion. I am not anticipating wild movement on the HE.

Last edited:
It would be cool if they added some interactive stuff like this..
[video=youtube;aelhcmMJojg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aelhcmMJojg[/video]

I can't see them not including a snitch flying alongside the window at some point in the ride, it's too much of a thing for it not to be there. I don't think it'll be that interactive, but who knows? That is a pretty neat system...

I had the most BIZARRE dream last night kinda regarding Gringotts even though I NEVER have such dreams. As always, it bore little resemblance to anything actually Gringotts, but it was in essence the "big secret new ride".

In a nutshell, all the people on this thread were there looking for answers, but in real life person to person. Turns out one of you has an old aunt that has stock in the company and received a special stockholder booklet that contained pictures of all aspects of construction including interior concept art. Well, the creative team is livid that execs released all of the photos in this fancy brocshure.

So, then it turns out the lead creative person on the job is none other than Simon Fuller from American Idol. It all seemed very logical. Finally, so much news has been released that the creative team allows everyone to come in and look around and see the ride vehicles cycling. The actual vehicles were vague but running the opposite direction to them was a large model train; the kind that Walt Disney liked to ride on in his back yard.

The elements of the ride itself looked more like a French art project, something that Salvador Dali would have come up with. I just thought some of you would enjoy hearing of this inaccurate dream; how the mind can screw everything up.

I had the most BIZARRE dream last night kinda regarding Gringotts even though I NEVER have such dreams. As always, it bore little resemblance to anything actually Gringotts, but it was in essence the "big secret new ride".

In a nutshell, all the people on this thread were there looking for answers, but in real life person to person. Turns out one of you has an old aunt that has stock in the company and received a special stockholder booklet that contained pictures of all aspects of construction including interior concept art. Well, the creative team is livid that execs released all of the photos in this fancy brocshure.

So, then it turns out the lead creative person on the job is none other than Simon Fuller from American Idol. It all seemed very logical. Finally, so much news has been released that the creative team allows everyone to come in and look around and see the ride vehicles cycling. The actual vehicles were vague but running the opposite direction to them was a large model train; the kind that Walt Disney liked to ride on in his back yard.

The elements of the ride itself looked more like a French art project, something that Salvador Dali would have come up with. I just thought some of you would enjoy hearing of this inaccurate dream; how the mind can screw everything up.

If anything, we now know you are a closet American Idol fan :pound:

It's actually pretty tough to find a good explanation of this problem online. This is a real concern with the development of Ultra HD TVs. I did find this bit:

One concern of ultra high definition television technology is motion-induced nausea caused by the movement of large images on the screen. Initial testing with consumers showed that some users had symptoms similar to motion sickness when viewing UHDTV images. Moving away from the screen, limiting use of UHDTV to larger rooms or locations, may reduce the symptoms.
From: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-does-ultra-high-definition-television-work.htm

And this:

Recall that Ultra HDTV requires 60 FPS to display images at high-speed. Humans may not be able to process movement at this speed, causing confusion and nausea.
From: http://www.ultrahdtv.net/ultra-hdtv-health-concerns/

Now obviously we don't know the frame rate or definition they're using, but apparently it is a real problem.

Is it a company we've heard of? :look:

If anything, we now know you are a closet American Idol fan :pound:

Actually no. I believe he represents the a*s*s*hole that are some of the folks at Universal and Comcast.

It's actually pretty tough to find a good explanation of this problem online. This is a real concern with the development of Ultra HD TVs. I did find this bit:

Now obviously we don't know the frame rate or definition they're using, but apparently it is a real problem.

Wow, I've never heard about this! Thanks. I had always heard the opposite regarding frame rates. It now appear that there are limits.

My previous statements could, in fact, be summarily incorrect. Sorry! :blank:

I don't think there's been a reference to the Ministry by any source, unless you count a red phone booth which could depict one of the magical entrances.

Wow, I've never heard about this! Thanks. I had always heard the opposite regarding frame rates. It now appear that there are limits.

My previous statements could, in fact, be summarily incorrect. Sorry! :blank:

This is actually really interesting stuff. I found a much better article here:
http://www.cameratechnica.com/2011/11/21/what-is-the-highest-frame-rate-the-human-eye-can-perceive/

The idea behind human frame rate perception is called flicker fusion, defining the point at which flickering images become stationary. It's based on three variables:

Stimulus Luminance
fusion-frequency-vs-i-300x245.jpg

-Even bright images become undistinguishable at 50 fps.

Stimulus Area
fusion-frequency-vs-area-300x198.jpg

-The larger the stimulus area, the faster the frame rate needed to saturate human perception.

Stimulus location
fusion-frequency-vs-location-300x211.jpg

–The farther away the stimuli is from your center of vision, the less likely you are to perceive it.

So basically, 60 fps is approaching the upper limits of human perception.

One concern of ultra high definition television technology is motion-induced nausea caused by the movement of large images on the screen. Initial testing with consumers showed that some users had symptoms similar to motion sickness when viewing UHDTV images. Moving away from the screen, limiting use of UHDTV to larger rooms or locations, may reduce the symptoms.
From: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-does-ult...ision-work.htm

Hmm, so the problem is that there might be an issue with the resolution and FPS of HE's ride media because of how close the seats will be to the windows? Spidey, TF, and Despicable Me are already UltraHD/60FPS and don't seem to cause any problems. Probably because their screens are further away from the riders. Maybe they could drop HE's media to 1080p? The screens aren't going to be that big, are they? 1080p is crystal clear unless you're talking about huge displays.

This is actually really interesting stuff. I found a much better article here:
http://www.cameratechnica.com/2011/11/21/what-is-the-highest-frame-rate-the-human-eye-can-perceive/

Again, thanks, this is so pertinent to our discussion of frame rates, and distance in attractions.

Is the "critical frequency" column intended to mean frame rate in the graphics? If not, I am at a loss of how to read them.

On a similar note, if frame rate and distance from the source (or projection) may be an issue, would this not be the problem on FJ? Guests are very close to those screens. I believe we discussed recently that the frame rate is assumed to be 60fps on FJ.

Again, thanks, this is so pertinent to our discussion of frame rates, and distance in attractions.

Is the "critical frequency" column intended to mean frame rate in the graphics? If not, I am at a loss of how to read them.

On a similar note, if frame rate and distance from the source (or projection) may be an issue, would this not be the problem on FJ? Guests are very close to those screens. I believe we discussed recently that the frame rate is assumed to be 60fps on FJ.

No problem Teebin. Yes, I believe so. Hertz measure cycles per second, and is a measure of frequency.

That's a very interesting conclusion. It could be, and since the symptoms are so similar to motion sickness it may be tough to find the root cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.