Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 631 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Picture plz!!!

I mean, no. I don't condone backstage pictures :look:

Exactly no backstage photos of any kind were taken or tolerated. The pulleys are in the 16-18ft diameter range. Hard to tell with nothing to scale it next to.

Exactly no backstage photos of any kind were taken or tolerated. The pulleys are in the 16-18ft diameter range. Hard to tell with nothing to scale it next to.

Awesome! Starting to think that Intamin rumor for Gringots might relate to the HE since they've implemented lots of ride systems with pulley systems...

I know The Hobbit was brought up earlier with the way the higher (48 fps) also looked "ultra-realistic" to some people. If I remember correctly from my neuro classes last fall, if the frame rate is any higher than ~40 fps, your brain will perceive it as reality because we can only interpret about 40 "frames" a second.

It appears that it is possible that this is an old idea. It seems that in some circumstances, humans perceive ultra-real as un-real. The proof is in the pudding, and the Samsung articles. (i think it was samsung)

On another note... cool that the mega-winches are in place. Doesn't it seem archaic that all of this envisioned hi-tech is going to be hauled around by winches; wheels and big cables? I would have preferred "rare earth mag-lev". And yeah, I just made that up. :smiley:

The GIGANTIC pulleys for the HE ride system are on site in a staging area in case anyone cares :thumbs:

Has it yet been established if these pulleys will move HE's 'trains' at a steady speed or is there capacity for them to accelerate and decelerate? That may then help to assist against motion sickness with any corresponding speed changes on the 'windows' as the reality of the movement changes along side the perception of changes in the video will then be synced even with 60fps and 4KHD or 4K3DHD video

Last edited:
Has it yet been established if these pulleys will move HE's 'trains' at a steady speed or is there capacity for them to accelerate and decelerate? That may then help to assist against motion sickness with any corresponding speed changes on the 'windows' as the reality of the movement changes along side the perception of changes in the video will then be synced even with 60fps and 4KHD or 4K3DHD video

I've wondered if they've built a lift system on the ends of the train to simulate higher speeds.

The one thing to remember about the HE is that the two trains have to work in tandem. If one train moves, so does the other.

So, if there were 15 bedrooms "in" the leaky that were exact copies of Harry Potter's room from the film available for hotel rent, and overlooking Diagon Alley, what would you think. Would they sell for exorbitant amounts? Would you pay the big bucks for a night?

well i believe the Disney Castle suites are pretty popular...so I would only imagine it to be same for this

Um, there is only one suite in Cinderella's Castle and it isn't available to rent. I think the sweepstakes to possibly get in the suite is over, so nowadays it isn't open at all to the public. :look:

So, if there were 15 bedrooms "in" the leaky that were exact copies of Harry Potter's room from the film available for hotel rent, and overlooking Diagon Alley, what would you think. Would they sell for exorbitant amounts? Would you pay the big bucks for a night?

They could probably charge more than Grand Floridian prices and have no drop in demand for those kinds of rooms! I wouldn't be paying it just because I couldn't afford them for a very, very long time, though.

Hopefully when all of this is done we can get a long overdue new discovery channel special. It would be fascinating to see how they developed all these experiences.

Since we've gotten to the bottom of the screen sickness conversation, time to take the cue from the pully delivery and research cable cars!

–First pratical such system installed in San Francisco in 1873
–Cable hauled systems are effective in hilly cities. They don't lose traction because they're not wheel driven. So if the HE does in fact change elevation often, this could be another reasonthis type of system wwas chosen.
–The cars typcially do still have their own braking systems
–Common systems uses "grips" to attach the cars that the moving cable. Historically a manual, but modernly an automated process. These are large, plier–like, clamps that literally grab onto the cable. The motor driving the pulley system runs almost continuously. The gripping has to be done gradually to minimize damage to the cable and the jarring of passengers.

Hopefully when all of this is done we can get a long overdue new discovery channel special. It would be fascinating to see how they developed all these experiences.

Don't bet on it. Universal Creative doesn't share their secrets like Disney. Everything is closely guarded. Even the WWoHP specials don't talk about it. Back in the day there were specials about Spider-Man and the like, but they were notoriously picky on details. This is probably your best resource for that information.

Since we've gotten to the bottom of the screen sickness conversation, time to take the cue from the pully delivery and research cable cars!

–Cable hauled systems are effective in hilly cities. They don't lose traction because they're not wheel driven. So if the HE does in fact change elevation often, this could be another reasonthis type of system wwas chosen.
–Common systems uses "grips" to attach the cars that the moving cable. Historically a manual, but modernly an automated process. These are large, plier–like, clamps that literally grab onto the cable. The motor driving the pulley system runs almost continuously. The gripping has to be done gradually to minimize damage to the cable and the jarring of passengers.

Its a lot easier than making individual motors to drive the MASSIVE "RVs". Its a lot better than having a buss bar outside exposed to the elements. Its easier to fix a giant motor than an RV. If a cable pulley fails, it can effectively be pulled in by backup equipment.

This is more a more typical system. I expect the Hogwarts Express trains to be fixed to a cable that will move back and forth as it moves the two trains at the same time. Just like on funicular cable cars.

This is more a more typical system. I expect the Hogwarts Express trains to be fixed to a cable that will move back and forth as it moves the two trains at the same time. Just like on funicular cable cars.

Wouldn't this then need the passing point to be exactly in the middle of the track so that the trains would then pass at that point? From the construction pictures (although hard to say 100%) it does not appear that the passing points are centered

Wouldn't this then need the passing point to be exactly in the middle of the track so that the trains would then pass at that point? From the construction pictures (although hard to say 100%) it does not appear that the passing points are centered

Nope. They just need to be long enough for one them to start passing at the same time and switch back after the other has cleared. Which is indeed how its built. The switch track could be built outside of the station and it'd still work.

Hogsmeade Station update taken from Dragon Challenge (via TheTimTracker).

[video=youtube;z5bXIqnPXb0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5bXIqnPXb0[/video]

Screencaps.....

iMafVI3HHlqfk.png

ibgMjhJMhUaHYK.png

iJIrVjDv5cFw0.png

ixOMGsmyvXV7M.png

ibnDgMhS62yQMA.png

iSbMSTnFzjmoO.png

ibyXZRoV0uSXix.png

injrqTVWL064X.png

Status
Not open for further replies.