Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 132 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Hogsmeade, the exit from Ollivander's leads into a combined Ollivander's sales desk/Owl post. Why couldn't the DA exit of Ollivander's lead into a combined Ollivander's sales desk/writing supplies shop? Whatever the facade is, there's bound to be more than just wands on sale in the exit shop.

The entrance to Ollivander's clearly involves an indoor queue, which is more comfortable and no less inauthentic than the outdoor queue in Hogsmeade is. I think that if the queue space used a Leadenhall Market-style roof interior, it could be quite attractive and might feel like a passageway to Carkitt Market. The success of the queue space depends entirely on the treatment, as well as upon how the entrance into the showroom(s) is handled. I'm sure there won't just be a long hallway with three doors at the end.

See I'd argue that an indoor queue is less authentic (although it's more comfortable and in all other ways makes more sense). The "real" Ollivander's as presented in the books and movies is a small store that you go into directly from the street. Once inside there's really just the one room (which looks a lot like the one room in Hogsmeade right now). That's all there is to it.

Somehow in the books and movies there is never a crowd or a line, so you're able to just go up to the counter and have assistance in the wand-choosing process. Obviously that can't be replicated, (and I think Hogsmeade is the closest it can be), but it will still be weird to enter through a shop, get into a line, then go into a showroom (that's supposed to be the shop you entered through), and then exit via the same shop you entered through.

I'm sure that the theming of the queue will be detailed and immersive and all those other buzzwords, and it might be great, but it won't be like Ollivander's in the books or movies.

See I'd argue that an indoor queue is less authentic (although it's more comfortable and in all other ways makes more sense). The "real" Ollivander's as presented in the books and movies is a small store that you go into directly from the street. Once inside there's really just the one room (which looks a lot like the one room in Hogsmeade right now). That's all there is to it.

Somehow in the books and movies there is never a crowd or a line, so you're able to just go up to the counter and have assistance in the wand-choosing process. Obviously that can't be replicated, (and I think Hogsmeade is the closest it can be), but it will still be weird to enter through a shop, get into a line, then go into a showroom (that's supposed to be the shop you entered through), and then exit via the same shop you entered through.

I'm sure that the theming of the queue will be detailed and immersive and all those other buzzwords, and it might be great, but it won't be like Ollivander's in the books or movies.

This might not be the case, though. There's a main door between two windows, and to the left there is a side door. Maybe the side door is where we enter into a "wand storage area" and then it feels like we're going into the actual shop, which will be a showroom. Then the plans show you go to a neutral middle area before going into the shop you see from the outside, with that main Ollivanders door with the windows on the sides. So if this is the case, then it should seem like less of a deviation from the original/authentic experience. I hope that makes sense :p

Last edited:
HTF's diagram suggested that people will be entering through the corner of the building that faces the Gringott's facade (columns). Seems if that is the case, guests will be entering an entirely different store that sells brooms and has a pumpkin advertisement painted outside and overhead on the brick facade.

HTF's diagram suggested that people will be entering through the corner of the building that faces the Gringott's facade (columns). Seems if that is the case, guests will be entering an entirely different store that sells brooms and has a pumpkin advertisement painted outside and overhead on the brick facade.

They might be entering the outdoor part of the queue there.

This may sound like a stupid question but will every showroom in Olivander's have windows? I'm not saying it's a big issue if there were no windows but considering that each showroom is supposed to look like the store and blend seamlessly to where ever we exit then I'd assume that windows be there to have that completion...

This may sound like a stupid question but will every showroom in Olivander's have windows? I'm not saying it's a big issue if there were no windows but considering that each showroom is supposed to look like the store and blend seamlessly to where ever we exit then I'd assume that windows be there to have that completion...

I doubt it. Then again, even though you see a window at the Hogsmeade location from the outside, I don't think you actually see it from the inside. But maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. I just remember it being very dark in there.

From what I can tell from the plans/diagrams, it looks like none of the Ollivanders showrooms share a wall with the actual retail store. Is that right? If so, it may solve the only complaint I have about the Hogsmeade version, which is that during what are supposed to be very quiet moments, you can hear the noise of the people in the shop.

To me, having that quiet, intimate feeling is more important to the authenticity of the experience than whether or not you have to enter through an indoor queue of some kind.

I am working on editing Episode 8 tonight, where we discuss all things Potter. Hate drops a lot of good, juicy tidbits, so I'd be hyped for the episode's upload.

I went thru Olivanders 4 times on my last trip hoping to get picked but they always picked a kid. I asked the team member working the door the last time thru what my chances were and she pretty much admitted they almost always choose a child if there's one in there. The last one that got picked had absolutely no interest in what was going on. I hope they change the policy with more showrooms.

I am working on editing Episode 8 tonight, where we discuss all things Potter. Hate drops a lot of good, juicy tidbits, so I'd be hyped for the episode's upload.

Awesome job on the podcast! You guys kill it every week. I stayed up past my "bedtime" to hear those Diagon details lol. Overload of interesting news from HTF, in the best way. 35 themed Diagon windows = incredible. Interactive skeleton encounter in Knockturn = awesome. And the massive scale and length of Gringotts cue sounds amazeballs. The only thing I don't understand is Carkitt market. Sounds like there will be a show, but I imagine it won't run constantly. So, otherwise it's a rather large area with only a food & beverage cart?

Awesome job on the podcast! You guys kill it every week. I stayed up past my "bedtime" to hear those Diagon details lol. Overload of interesting news from HTF, in the best way. 35 themed Diagon windows = incredible. Interactive skeleton encounter in Knockturn = awesome. And the massive scale and length of Gringotts cue sounds amazeballs. The only thing I don't understand is Carkitt market. Sounds like there will be a show, but I imagine it won't run constantly. So, otherwise it's a rather large area with only a food & beverage cart?

5 story ceilings and a chandelier that's 3 stories high :faint:

I just can't wait to ride Gringotts. The idea of a hybrid of Transformers/Spider-Man with Mummy sounds soooo awesome. The only bad thing I can think of is that if this ride turns out as awesome as we hope/expect it might make Mummy and these other rides look lame in comparison. I feel like Spidey and Transformers have kind of done that to Simpsons and previously BttF. But that is just me.

null_zps35b4c5e6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.