Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 130 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes sense in those, since they're just like the real thing, but I would've liked King's Cross to not have its name in huge lighted letters, as the real thing doesn't have it, and I also think it's not the best look *cough*tacky*cough*

The real KC:
BE3MCE_2300278b.jpg

That's the real KC now, but there are plans in the works to remove the green canopy (which was never meant to be permanent) and replace it with lighted white letters like this:
kx_main.jpg

Here's the story: http://londonist.com/2011/07/the-future-of-kings-cross-station.php

I do think the new design is more pleasing to the eye than the green canopy, in spite of its anachronism. Maybe they're going for something like that.

Fantastic Harry drawing, TheLastAshen!

That's the real KC now, but there are plans in the works to remove the green canopy (which was never meant to be permanent) and replace it with lighted white letters like this:
kx_main.jpg

Here's the story: http://londonist.com/2011/07/the-future-of-kings-cross-station.php

I do think the new design is more pleasing to the eye than the green canopy, in spite of its anachronism. Maybe they're going for something like that.

And that would be the best of the three options! :thumbs:

I honestly think the only reason for the big King's Cross sign is just so people know where to find the Hogwarts Express. It's not like there's going to be a big HOGWARTS EXPRESS sign out front. And to assume that the every day park guest will recognize the King's Cross facade, without any signage, as the train station would be a huge mistake.

Reactions: Jenstar
I am perplexed why they are putting up the tube station signage this soon... there is so much more messy work to complete. Seems frenetic. Frantic even.

Maybe it is because there is electrical work that needs to be done to light the sign and it's a scheduling thing?

Perhaps. I am sure that many of you understand that it isn't ideal. Could it be another example of how far behind they are with the facade work?

I just listened to the Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill, and he said that it's like that inside as well. Some storefronts are immaculately finished with signage and all, and right next to it will be one with scaffolding and bare materials that is weeks away from completion. If it's that way throughout, I don't know if that's a sign that the whole thing is behind schedule, or that that's just the standard procedure for this project.

Awesome portrait, TheLastAshen!

It's always cool to learn what medium artists use. I do all my work on a Wacom Cintiq monitor, but I'm saving up to get the Microsoft Surface Pro to do art on the go. Great to hear you could achieve that on an ipad !

Quint: Thanks for the photo! I can't wait for them to put up the iconic circular underground signs. Speaking of which, I wonder if they will have have a gift shop attached to either King's Cross or Liecester selling London underground merchandise.

I just listened to the Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill, and he said that it's like that inside as well. Some storefronts are immaculately finished with signage and all, and right next to it will be one with scaffolding and bare materials that is weeks away from completion. If it's that way throughout, I don't know if that's a sign that the whole thing is behind schedule, or that that's just the standard procedure for this project.

If they're at least 4 months away from opening, I'd say they're okay.

Alley_plans.jpg

So I've revised my "map" using the other leaked blueprints to actually have a sense of what's inside the buildings.

Weasley's Wizard Wheezes seems to be a separate shop from Quality Quidditch Supplies. Quality Quidditch Supplies, though, does seem to be attached to the "flying" broomstick photo/video op, although they might still be "separate" stores (like Honeyduke's/Zonko's).

Flourish and Blotts is still a mystery. Is it a real shop? There's room for it to be, but they didn't announce it even though it is in the virtual walkthrough.

Number 6 is still a mystery too. Concept art indicates that it's Scribbulus, but TPI says Scribbulus is elsewhere (next to Wiseacre's) and the webcast video indicated that Scribbulus is an actual shop and not just a facade. The virtual walkthrough says #6 is just a facade for a yarn(?) shop. Number 6 could be an actual shop, but if it is then it looks like you exit Ollivander's through it. Would you exit through a yarn shop? Or a writing supplies shop? Exiting through a wand repair shop (the facade next to it) makes more sense...

Ollivander's seems screwed. I think Teebin said something about it earlier, but I can't see how it is really going to work. You enter through the doors labeled "Ollivander's" and are inside what? A shop? A queue? If it's a shop, it's not the same "shop" that the show is in... and once you see one of the three shows you exit back through the same shop?

As has been said before, there is definitely something between Florean's Ice Cream and Borgin and Burkes. There could also be something in between Florean's and Madam Malkin's, (although it could just be storage).

Nice work, Junorhane! :thumbs:

The corner (facade?) right above 1A is the Owl Post, per the flyover.

6 is Spindlewarps Wool Shop. You can see it in the flyover and also confirmed thanks to AAO's awesome shots :rep:! In the flyover you can also spot that the self-knitting scarf (as seen in the Weasley's home) will be in that window display. :thumbs:

7 is indeed Ollivanders Wand Repair and Re-Tooling, again confirmed by the flyover and pics.

Apparently Scribbulus will be the top corner of 11. And the Bank Teller should be to the right of that, per HTF. And to the right of the bank teller, the area with all those staircases should be the street show area.

The bit right under 12 will be Restrooms.

Again, very nice job! :cheers:

EDIT: a couple more things...

4 is a facade, per HTF.

The area above 4 is The Fountain of Fair Fortune, also per HTF.

The area to the right of the bridge (3) is Carkitt Market.

Oh, and between 10 and 11 are the Gringotts lockers, again credit to HTF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.