Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 129 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious to see what this will look like when finished and all lit up at night so I will reserve judgement until then. However is this the only facade getting such treatment?

This opens the door for the Wyndhams signs.

And we can already see the framing for this on Leicester Square:

Leicester_Square_tube_station_shines_in_the_night.jpg

While I like the look of the buildings without the signs, I think the waterfront being all lit-up and modern will make the transition to Diagon Alley even more effective.

Last edited:
And we can already see the framing for this on Leicester Square:

While I like the look of the buildings without the signs, I think the waterfront being all lit-up and modern will make the transition to Diagon Alley even more effective.

I saw the Leicester Square stub out but couldn't place what it was in my mind, thanks GGGhost for pointing that out and I would agree that it will feel much more smoothly when all lit up (transition wise). Kind of what London would be in real life. I just can't wait for this project to be finished, however I do enjoy the construction process and the endless wonder of how it will eventually turn out.

^^ your probably right Teebs I feel a little jealousy coming even with the embellishments that they applied to the facade which stands out a bit more than the real deal

Last edited:
This should clear it up for you OrlandoParks

Seoooo... I finally got in touch with a certain Peruvian Sparrow regarding the pink color of the decorative elements of Wyndham.
Here is what Mr. Sparrow offered:

"My only guess is that those are fiberglass elements and they used the red MEKP as a catalyst. MEKP comes in red and clear. The red tends to make the final product look pinkish."

An example of what Mr Peru is talking about:

0009660_300.jpg

Also going back through the thread I noticed that in a picture dated to 1/21/14 you can see the Powerade er .... I mean Mountain Dew cans on the ledge :look:

Last edited:
Reactions: OrlandoParks
On a shot in the dark, I googled something I saw on a TV show (Anthony Bourdain, I think) a long time ago, and BINGO!

The small structures in front of the London facades are Cabmen's Shelters.

CaptureCabShelter_zps97632bfd.png

I'm new here. I've read back through several dozen pages of this thread, but I still have a few questions, such as:

1. How many entrances are there to Diagon Alley from the London Waterfront and/or King's Cross? The main entrance to DA above is awfully small.
2. Any idea how wide DA (i.e. the street) is itself? It appears to be narrower than Hogsmeade High Street.
3. Is WWW the only shop that will feature space that guests can visit on more than one floor? Why don't more of the shops have upper floors? It seems like this would be a no-brainer if you want to accommodate large crowds without sacrificing the intimate feel of individual shops.
4. Could the ramp in the Leaky Cauldron simply be a waiting line that directs guests through food displays (perhaps some with interactive magical elements), as in 3 Broomsticks?
5. What's this about a Ministry of Magic performance or something? Is there a MoM building planned for the future?

And a few comments/reflections:
1. I would love to see street performers and street vendors hawking food, drinks, and magical items along Carkitt Market, especially if they can even remotely pull off an English, Scottish, or British accent. This would be a good place for Colin Creevey-style photographers, as well. (Guests could order & pick up their photos from either Owl Post perhaps.) Last summer I attended an HP convention at Universal, and there was a vendor there who created portraits featuring computer-generated patroni. Maybe they'll get those guys back.
2. Love the tea shop idea, but seating would be a problem. Tea carts in Carkitt Market, featuring hot tea and sweets to go, might work.
3. I'm disappointed there's no real apothecary. I was looking forward to floo powder, troll slime kits, test tube liquid candies, fairy dust sun screen, spellotape bandages, pink umbrellas, and other more-or-less practical items. An interactive Chinese herb cabinet and wall of specimens would be very "immersive," too, wouldn't they?
4. I'd like to see a broader menu at LC - Gillywater, mead, elderflower wine, and firewhisky at the bar, pork pie, toad in the hole, scotch eggs, ploughman's lunch, and maybe mulligatawny stew in the restaurant, with treacle fudge or trifle for dessert. I guess Bertie Botts Every Flavour Jello Shots would be too much to ask for.

I'm new here. I've read back through several dozen pages of this thread, but I still have a few questions, such as:

1. How many entrances are there to Diagon Alley from the London Waterfront and/or King's Cross? The main entrance to DA above is awfully small.
2. Any idea how wide DA (i.e. the street) is itself? It appears to be narrower than Hogsmeade High Street.
3. Is WWW the only shop that will feature space that guests can visit on more than one floor? Why don't more of the shops have upper floors? It seems like this would be a no-brainer if you want to accommodate large crowds without sacrificing the intimate feel of individual shops.
4. Could the ramp in the Leaky Cauldron simply be a waiting line that directs guests through food displays (perhaps some with interactive magical elements), as in 3 Broomsticks?
5. What's this about a Ministry of Magic performance or something? Is there a MoM building planned for the future?
1. One main entrance but a couple secondary portals that can be entrances or exits as needed.
2. The main street is about 23.5' wide at the narrowest point.
3. Many shops will be multi-stories tall but guests will probably only be able to access the ground floors.
4. The ramp seems to be ADA access for wheelchairs only.
5. At the Celebration, Alan Gilmore said MoM is what the art team would like to build if there was another expansion. Doesn't mean there are any plans to do so in the near future...

^instant gratification. :D

I've been using my Ipad, Teebs. It's a fantastic app called Paper 53, they just came out with a really nice stylus cleverly called Pencil and it works great. This drawing was all B6 pencil and watercolor for the background. Oh and a couple greys and white colored pencils. Glad you guys like it! I'm not very experienced in architectural drawings but I'd love to sketch something from the Wizarding World soon.

^instant gratification. :D

I've been using my Ipad, Teebs. It's a fantastic app called Paper 53, they just came out with a really nice stylus cleverly called Pencil and it works great. This drawing was all B6 pencil and watercolor for the background. Oh and a couple greys and white colored pencils. Glad you guys like it! I'm not very experienced in architectural drawings but I'd love to sketch something from the Wizarding World soon.

Wild. I have never been able to draw on a tablet of any kind. I can hardly sign my name on the credit card scanners. I guess it is a tactile thing, the friction and drag of paper suits me better.

Did you buy their pencil stylus thingy?

(patience. we will get back on topic shortly)

This opens the door for the Wyndhams signs.

ioCQWiRShBVAM.PNG

i3fSBSrRRNXzY.PNG

:thumbs:

It makes sense in those, since they're just like the real thing, but I would've liked King's Cross to not have its name in huge lighted letters, as the real thing doesn't have it, and I also think it's not the best look *cough*tacky*cough*

The real KC:
BE3MCE_2300278b.jpg

In honor of the HP celebration and trying to impress you guys, my Harry drawing :)

image-2.jpg

Awesome skills! :thumbs:

Many thanks!! Very nice!! :thumbs:

Last edited:
I am wondering if, because of the films and use of a different exterior for Kings, they feel they must bash everyone on the head with what the building is supposed to represent. Ain't very subtle, I'll agree.

I am perplexed why they are putting up the tube station signage this soon... there is so much more messy work to complete. Seems frenetic. Frantic even.

I am wondering if, because of the films and use of a different exterior for Kings, they feel they must bash everyone on the head with what the building is supposed to represent. Ain't very subtle, I'll agree.

A sign like the green and white one in the real KC would also make it pretty obvious as to what the building is supposed to represent :p :shrug: Oh well...

I am perplexed why they are putting up the tube station signage this soon... there is so much more messy work to complete. Seems frenetic. Frantic even.

Maybe the sign was in the way and they had guys sitting around doing nothing, so they just said "hey, you, go hang that sign" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.