The Old KidZone Thread | Page 58 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old KidZone Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the idea where we just bulldoze Kidzone and DON'T build a TV show island. We are so much better off with movies that have a global appeal. Despicable Me and ET are prime examples. They aren't Kid's TV shows and they have an appeal to all age groups.

I agree that trying to make a "Kid's Zone" is a dated idea and one that needs to die. We can have less Children's properties and more family attractions. Let's hope that they steer away from Nick, Scooby, Dora, and all of the above. Things like Dora are exactly the things we DON'T need.

Did you just say Scooby-Doo has no adult appeal?

...except there's not really any animated movie series big enough right now that Universal can acquire. Anything Dreamworks is out according to what insiders have said.

Outside of Dreamworks, the only big thing that comes to mind is Ice Age, but that series is already dying. (The latest one performed below expectations domestically.)

And consider me one of the people against the idea of Super Silly Fun Land. Despicable Me, while not a terrible franchise, doesn't need more than one ride dedicated to it. The park should be diverse in its properties.

I agree that KidZone shouldn't be all-TV shows. But aside from keeping Animal Actors and E.T., I don't think there's many other options at the moment.

Last edited:
...except there's not really any animated movie series big enough right now that Universal can acquire. Anything Dreamworks is out according to what insiders have said.

Outside of Dreamworks, the only big thing that comes to mind is Ice Age, but that series is already dying. (The latest one performed below expectations domestically.)

And consider me one of the people against the idea of Super Silly Fun Land. Despicable Me, while not a terrible franchise, doesn't need more than one ride dedicated to it. The park should be diverse in its properties.

I agree that KidZone shouldn't be all-TV shows. But aside from keeping Animal Actors and E.T., I don't think there's many other options at the moment.

Who says it has to be animated?

I can't really think of any live-action kids movies that are both obtainable and popular enough right now. The Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks? No thanks. Let's have only QUALITY properties be brought to the park. :lol:

Still, I welcome to be proven wrong, as it would be nice to have more possibilities to discuss, since this thread admittingly seems to be going in circles lately.

Would be nice to see something original (stop laughing!)........but that ain't happening these days.

Whatever happens, I guarantee that Universal will renovate/refurbish/add to the area before Disney opens up anything new. I've given up on Disney with Iger at the helm.

I really like the idea where we just bulldoze Kidzone and DON'T build a TV show island. We are so much better off with movies that have a global appeal. Despicable Me and ET are prime examples. They aren't Kid's TV shows and they have an appeal to all age groups.

I agree that trying to make a "Kid's Zone" is a dated idea and one that needs to die. We can have less Children's properties and more family attractions. Let's hope that they steer away from Nick, Scooby, Dora, and all of the above. Things like Dora are exactly the things we DON'T need.

I was with you until you said Scooby. It has appeal to all ages it is a franchise that has stood the test of time, and has been enjoyed by several generations and really more of a family franchise then a kids franchise. It also has the best things to build ride off of. Just look at the Scooby Doo Spooky coaster, in Movie World Australia. It is far from a kids ride. It as a family ride, well maybe a little above, as little kids couldn't ride it. That ride is one of the more popular rides in the park as well as being the best designed and themed.

Also no My Little Pony. That is a horrible idea and would not be good for international guests. We don't get any show for it here. The only way I know of it is because of its toy line and that hardly exists anymore, it has been overtaken by other things.

Scooby Doo with all the characters would make a lot of sense. As many have stated, it has spanned many several generations and they still are making movies (one came out last weekend). The new TV show, I believe was just cancelled but it wont be long until a new one is out. With 40 years of material to use, there is plenty of opportunities using that franchise. But they would need the whole gang to make it work.

Scooby could potentially be Universal's Haunted Mansion...Much like Looney Tunes I don't see him really ever going away..only being reimagined

Spongebob also has a following that extends outside of the show..I can't tell you how many Spongebob quotes I hear around my college campus..and it is on in the lounge quite often

Also no My Little Pony. That is a horrible idea.

Yeah, sorry, don't see eye to eye there. Would be way better than something as dull and toddlerfied as Dora the Explorer.

and would not be good for international guests. We don't get any show for it here. The only way I know of it is because of its toy line and that hardly exists anymore, it has been overtaken by other things.

Not true. The show airs on Boomerang in Australia. Hasbro is making moves to push the brand into all sorts of regions now, its toy line isn't being phased out there yet, but rather the opposite. They're even going as far as to introduce the brand into new countries altogether, such as Japan. Not to mention the whole thing has a pretty decent amount of support from other countries such as Europe and whatnot.

But regardless, I still wish to be done with discussing this whole MLP thing, as it's still not getting anywhere as I said before. I have my reasons to believe what I believe, so I'll just leave it as that.

I was with you until you said Scooby. It has appeal to all ages it is a franchise that has stood the test of time, and has been enjoyed by several generations and really more of a family franchise then a kids franchise. It also has the best things to build ride off of. Just look at the Scooby Doo Spooky coaster, in Movie World Australia. It is far from a kids ride. It as a family ride, well maybe a little above, as little kids couldn't ride it. That ride is one of the more popular rides in the park as well as being the best designed and themed.

I can definitely agree there at least. Scooby is a property I would love to see Universal really take on, as its potential is just endless.

Scooby could potentially be Universal's Haunted Mansion...Much like Looney Tunes I don't see him really ever going away..only being reimagined

Spongebob also has a following that extends outside of the show..I can't tell you how many Spongebob quotes I hear around my college campus..and it is on in the lounge quite often

A Scooby Doo Haunted Mansion style ride would be great IMO.

Not true. The show airs on Boomerang in Australia.

I will give that too you as I should have been more specific. Boomerang is a pay tv station. Pay tv is not very common here at all. In fact less then 1/3 (years ago with a rapidly declining market share) with a large chunk of them being hotels. Then boomerang is only chosen when you select the kids option. Then it has to compete against Disney and Nick. The very minority of the people who have pay tv have this option selected. So in practice you could say its not out here. As their are only a very select few who have it. There really arn't enough people to warrant giving it the label of being out here.

Also no My Little Pony. That is a horrible idea and would not be good for international guests. We don't get any show for it here. The only way I know of it is because of its toy line and that hardly exists anymore, it has been overtaken by other things.

Scooby Doo with all the characters would make a lot of sense. As many have stated, it has spanned many several generations and they still are making movies (one came out last weekend). The new TV show, I believe was just cancelled but it wont be long until a new one is out. With 40 years of material to use, there is plenty of opportunities using that franchise. But they would need the whole gang to make it work.

I don't think its possible is more of my issue. Scooby isn't worth doing with him and his "friends" (not the gang).

Yes, but how much longer does Spongebob really have? That's our issue.

A Scooby Doo Haunted Mansion style ride would be great IMO.

No thanks. I'll take Mystic Manor, but I don't want a Haunted Mansion at Universal.

Agreed, you have to have the whole gang (and all the villains) to make Scooby Doo work. If they could get it, there is an endless amount of projects they could pursue.

WB is making a new Scooby Doo animated film. If they were going to do a new ride in Kidzone in the next few years this would be the perfect time if they wanted Scooby Doo.

A little off topic, but I was at the park today and saw they have this up in front of Animal Actors, covered up with something about set uprades with camping equipment in the front. Anyone know what this is about?

null_zps05a0f20b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.