Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Frozen Ever After

Glad to hear they'll be utilizing the theater as a queue. This ride is going to be ridiculously popular and will need all the queue space it can get. While I love Norway's theme, I curious how much of the exterior is going to be re-themed to fit Frozen. Is Arkershus and Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe getting face-lifts as well?

im actually amazed people thought this would be an overlay. its not like the Mexico ride with new footage added to the screen. ahh sure just add a marshmallow statue instead of a troll and we're done lol

look personally i think its a daft putting it in epcot as i think Hollywood studios needs it more( hollywood studios needs a hell of a lot of tlc) but i'm looking forward to this. its a shame it wont be complete when i go next October

im actually amazed people thought this would be an overlay. its not like the Mexico ride with new footage added to the screen. ahh sure just add a marshmallow statue instead of a troll and we're done lol

look personally i think its a daft putting it in epcot as i think Hollywood studios needs it more( hollywood studios needs a hell of a lot of tlc) but i'm looking forward to this. its a shame it wont be complete when i go next October
Yes, many here have calmed me down about the whole thing with revealing that it is not a simple overlay...rather a..um..retooling

I just don't see how it can be a "good" attraction using that space and ride system.

The ride system is deeply flawed and never worked as intended. It's all well documented in an interview with one of the imagineers in an old article over at mouseplanet. They only got funding because of Rhode claiming they could make it go backwards at the presentations to sponsors.. something that was NOT planned. So WDI had to figure it out.

They "did" so to speak, but they had no idea how it would change the pace of the boats through the ride. They went much much faster - Maelstrom is supposed to be a slower El Rio or Pirates type boat ride until the drops. Instead it zips along fairly quickly, and there's no functional way to slow it down. Pump less water, the flumes goes down and the boats bottom out. Pump enough water, the boats zoom past. There is no solution short of a new ride system.

So keeping that in mind, you've got very small spaces to show very few scenes at a very abrupt pace. This lends itself to long musical moments.. how? I just don't see it happening. At least not "well."

- - - Updated - - -

Fun Fact: Ops manager who opened Maelstrom is the guy whose voice you hear in the 911 call when Tillikum killed Dawn.

I just don't see how it can be a "good" attraction using that space and ride system.

The ride system is deeply flawed and never worked as intended. It's all well documented in an interview with one of the imagineers in an old article over at mouseplanet. They only got funding because of Rhode claiming they could make it go backwards at the presentations to sponsors.. something that was NOT planned. So WDI had to figure it out.

They "did" so to speak, but they had no idea how it would change the pace of the boats through the ride. They went much much faster - Maelstrom is supposed to be a slower El Rio or Pirates type boat ride until the drops. Instead it zips along fairly quickly, and there's no functional way to slow it down. Pump less water, the flumes goes down and the boats bottom out. Pump enough water, the boats zoom past. There is no solution short of a new ride system.

So keeping that in mind, you've got very small spaces to show very few scenes at a very abrupt pace. This lends itself to long musical moments.. how? I just don't see it happening. At least not "well."

I think with today's technology they can fix the attractions pacing a bit..I feel Disney will increase the ride time a bit and fix all the issues that seemed to plague Maelstrom...if you think about it all eyes are on this attraction right now so it is getting love...

wait, am I defending this attraction?

Fun Fact: Ops manager who opened Maelstrom is the guy whose voice you hear in the 911 call when Tillikum killed Dawn.

Not that fun, actually.

But I'm sure Disney will take what they've learned in 25 years since Maelstrom and make whatever attraction they're trying to put together work.

It would be fixed because Maelstom ain't there anymore.

Ok, what do i get when it opens up with the same problems it always had?

There needs to at least be consequences to asserting whatever you want with no knowledge or information at all to back it up. I laid out my reasoning, you've given me none.

Wow...so Disney IS building a new show building for Frozen...but it for a M&G and bathrooms! not a ride!

Oh man..those message boards are fuming at the moment..

I heard they had something on the news about it but didn't get to see it. Is it going to be in Previously known as Norway?

Links:

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/disney-documents-reveal-details-about-epcots-new-f/njnRd/

Includes PDF of said files, so the existing show building will be a ride, this new building will be a M&G and restrooms.

This project proposes to modify SFWMD permit 48-00714-P for a 1.08 acre area within the area
between the Norway and Mexico attractions at EPCOT, Walt Disney World, in Orlando, Florida. The
project includes the following: construction of a 13,000 +/- sf building that will house a Disney guest
attraction and a women's restroom; construction of a 2,000 sf modular type building to replace a similar
building demolished for the project; construction of two small parking lots that have a total of 18
parking spaces; relocation of piping and mechanical equipment associated with a beverage dispensing
kiosk; modification and addition of sidewalks and planters; new underground utilities; modification to
the existing restroom in the Norway attraction building.
Water quality treatment will be provided in an exfiltration trench retention system. This retention
systems is sized to provide treatment for the entire 1.08 acre project area. The exfiltration trenches will
discharge to the existing storm sewer system that outflows into the master drainage system of EPCOT.

Wow...so Disney IS building a new show building for Frozen...but it for a M&G and bathrooms! not a ride!

Oh man..those message boards are fuming at the moment..

A certain Magical one? Heh.

The location is between Mexico and Norway, aka the "well if you HAVE TO build a Frozen ride, why not put it here?" location.

The project includes the following: construction of a 13,000 +/- sf building that will house a Disney guest
attraction and a women's restroom.

Meanwhile, men could literally not give a sh*t about Frozen.

Disney officials said their Imagineers are still working on the design and image of the Frozen attraction.

Wut

So this project is much bigger than I thought it would be...I'm sure the Disney fans are fuming though..I feel for them

This makes me pretty cranky. It would have been fine for them to build the Frozen stuff in that empty pavilion and keep Norway and Maelstrom as is. I don't want to go on a rant so I'm just going to say that I agree with a quote someone used to say on the podcast pretty often.

Wut

So this project is much bigger than I thought it would be...I'm sure the Disney fans are fuming though..I feel for them

This isn't true. At all.

Oh, and I have it on good authority the budget for Imagination was pulled to do this instead. That's why the pavilion stayed open after the rumored closing date.

This isn't true. At all.

Oh, and I have it on good authority the budget for Imagination was pulled to do this instead. That's why the pavilion stayed open after the rumored closing date.

How can someone personally being surprised by something be not true at all? He said it looks bigger than he personally thought. Jeez.