Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Security Scanners Coming to Disney, SeaWorld, and Universal

I had originally heard that the costume ban was for Masks that cover the face. Not costumes in general.

A mask ban has been in place for some time, even during MNSSHP, although enforcement was lax during the parties. Technically costumes were banned for adults other than during MNSSHP and Star Wars Weekends, but with the growth of bounding, enforcement of that rule has grown laxer and laxer in recent years. I remember a full-on Evil Queen the last day of Snow White's Scary Adventure, and saw a group dressed in various generic animal onesies earlier this Fall. That said, I have a friend who was a dead-on Jack Sparrow who had issues even during SWW, and have heard rumors one Santa-looking guy has received stern talks. In other words, there has been no consistently enforced policy up until now.

This new ban--judging by the spiel on the TTC trams--is masks and costumes. I have yet to hear any reports of how well it is enforced. Will it apply to special needs adults? (Met my friend's sister at her wedding over the weekend--32, but essentially the mind of a 3 year-old, loves going dressed up as Elsa. Seems silly to deny her.) What about DisneyBounders (the cosplay designed to get around the old costume ban)? This smacks of something created by lawyers who have never set foot in a theme park and had no idea Halloween parties are a thing.

I worked at Six Flags Great Adventure in 1987 when they were the first park to install metal detectors at the front gate. It's just surprising to me they all didn't do it sooner and they aren't scanning EVERYONE. Having seen people try to sneak things in to a park with kids and elderly people when it's just drugs and alcohol, you know terrorists would do the same.

Looks like SeaWorld was taking there time fully implementing the metal detectors. Orlando Theme Park News reports that the old tram shelter in front on the park is being reused as a shelter for metal detectors. These are placed right in front of the parking lot even before the ticket areas, interesting.
IMG_10176e6ad.jpg

IMG_1018df579.jpg

Did the metal detectors at AMC Disney Springs 24 go in place at the same time they did at the parks? I just noticed those yesterday.

Did the metal detectors at AMC Disney Springs 24 go in place at the same time they did at the parks? I just noticed those yesterday.
I believe so as I think I saw them in photos from the Star Wars premier.

I went through there about a week ago. Seems to make even less sense there than at the parks. There's crowds all over the place there, what's the difference between a movie theater and the rest of Disney Springs?

I believe so as I think I saw them in photos from the Star Wars premier.

I went through there about a week ago. Seems to make even less sense there than at the parks. There's crowds all over the place there, what's the difference between a movie theater and the rest of Disney Springs?
Makes sense there actually, ESPECIALLY at a big premiere like Star Wars, given the amount of movie theatre shootings that have happened over the last few years during blockbuster movie events.

Makes sense there actually, ESPECIALLY at a big premiere like Star Wars, given the amount of movie theatre shootings that have happened over the last few years during blockbuster movie events.
I guess I just view Disney Springs as a whole. The whole place is a very populated area. Even during the Star Wars premier there were large crowds outside of the theater. I just don't get the concept of security being needed just to go into the theater. The theater shootings were at standalone theaters not places like this. To me this is equivalent to moving the security at MK to the entrance to Fantasyland it makes no sense. There have been restuarant shootings in the past, there's no reason to just focus on the theater.

I guess I just view Disney Springs as a whole. The whole place is a very populated area. Even during the Star Wars premier there were large crowds outside of the theater. I just don't get the concept of security being needed just to go into the theater. The theater shootings were at standalone theaters not places like this. To me this is equivalent to moving the security at MK to the entrance to Fantasyland it makes no sense. There have been restuarant shootings in the past, there's no reason to just focus on the theater.
To me, the overpopulation of Disney Springs makes that theatre even more dangerous and susceptible to shootings seeing as there's no security to get into Disney Springs. I think security at the movie theatre is an ACTUAL safety precaution whereas at the theme parks it's more for show (at least at Disney).

To me, the overpopulation of Disney Springs makes that theatre even more dangerous and susceptible to shootings seeing as there's no security to get into Disney Springs. I think security at the movie theatre is an ACTUAL safety precaution whereas at the theme parks it's more for show (at least at Disney).
I think it's misguided reactionary security. Just because there were some recent theater shootings doesn't mean that's where it's going to happen next. Theater shootings were pretty much unheard of until recently. I can't imagine if someone wants to do something at Disney Springs why the theater would be a requirement, there are plenty of areas there to target.

I think it's misguided reactionary security. Just because there were some recent theater shootings doesn't mean that's where it's going to happen next. Theater shootings were pretty much unheard of until recently. I can't imagine if someone wants to do something at Disney Springs why the theater would be a requirement, there are plenty of areas there to target.
I'm not saying that theatre would be. The chance of a shooting happening there is slim to none. But that's what I thought about a theatre in the suburb I live in North of Tampa before it happened.

I'm just saying, with that many people, you never know what someone may have. I've never thought that Metal Detectors were something i'd pass through at a movie theatre, but it was quick and easy so i'm not going to oppose it either.

I'm not saying that theatre would be. The chance of a shooting happening there is slim to none. But that's what I thought about a theatre in the suburb I live in North of Tampa before it happened.

I'm just saying, with that many people, you never know what someone may have. I've never thought that Metal Detectors were something i'd pass through at a movie theatre, but it was quick and easy so i'm not going to oppose it either.
I didn't go through them, they seem to only occasionally pull someone aside like they do at the parks.

I guess I just think something a little more comprehensive would be a better approach. I think expecting the unexpected should be the approach. It feels to me like the priority was adding a couple metal detectors and someone just had to decide where to put them rather than taking the approach of what can we do to make security in Disney Springs better.

I didn't go through them, they seem to only occasionally pull someone aside like they do at the parks.

I guess I just think something a little more comprehensive would be a better approach. I think expecting the unexpected should be the approach. It feels to me like the priority was adding a couple metal detectors and someone just had to decide where to put them rather than taking the approach of what can we do to make security in Disney Springs better.
I actually didn't go through them either, being honest. If you didn't have bags or had small ones, they wanded you and went through quick. If you had a big purse or something you went through the metal detector.

I'm sure there's a better way they could do it, but in the short term, while they figure that out, this is what we have. I heard that officers on horseback will be patrolling DS soon. Not sure how true that is.

I actually didn't go through them either, being honest. If you didn't have bags or had small ones, they wanded you and went through quick. If you had a big purse or something you went through the metal detector.

I'm sure there's a better way they could do it, but in the short term, while they figure that out, this is what we have. I heard that officers on horseback will be patrolling DS soon. Not sure how true that is.
Yeah the horses have been confirmed. That I agree makes sense. It puts the officers in a position where they can react more quickly pretty much anywhere throughout the area.

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a separate line to be wanded at UO? My dad has a replaced hip is why I ask. Thanks.

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a separate line to be wanded at UO? My dad has a replaced hip is why I ask. Thanks.
It's kinda all in the same place. There are a bunch of lines (number depends on the time you arrive) and each one has a metal detector. I would tell the security person about your dad's situation and they will probably just ask you to walk through the metal detectors and another security person will be on the other side to wand him. If your worried about drawing attention, don't worry. It goes by to fast for that to happen.

I went through over this last weekend and they were telling people not to take things out of their pockets, and just walk through without stopping. It was interesting to watch, all the metal detectors were going off, people felt like they should stop to be checked or something as the alarms went off and the security guards were just waving everyone through.