Alligator Drags 2 Year old into water at Grand Floridian resort. | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Alligator Drags 2 Year old into water at Grand Floridian resort.

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Official said they found the body, intact, just 10 to 15 yards from the incident in about 6' of water.

That's horrible. The parents will be even more distraught in the thought that there was something they could have done if it turns out he drowned.

What a tragedy.

Anecdote: I didn't see a gator for years after I moved there. I didn't want to. But then they relocated the local Publix and built a new store. There was a large retention pond out back of the store, the lawns of the pond came right up to the rear drive and service area of the store. In the wintertime the gators came up and sunned themselves on the lawn, 5 feet from the drive and lot. They were only 5'-6' but I didn't want to tangle with them so I stayed in my car. But I came to enjoy using the rear entrance just to see them, marvel at them.

While I feel awful for the family, it was 9:30 at night and they let their kid go out into the water where it was 1 foot deep despite all the signs on the beach saying "KEEP OUT".

Today was a horrible day for Orlando (again) and all day long the OCPD chopper kept circling very low over Seven Seas Lagoon searching. Each pass around just emphasized they found nothing yet. So far 5 gators have been caught and euthanized in the search.
Actually, the kid was about a foot from the waters edge where it was about 3" deep. And the father was approx. 6' away from the kid. And it was about 9pm and still mostly daylight. The father was close enough to jump on the gator and be bitten several times. And the sign didn't say "KEEP OUT", it said, "No Swimming".

I wonder if there's any chance that this will spur Disney to renew the Lagoon a bit, clean it, clear up the water, etc.
I honestly don't know if that's possible at this point. It may have started out as a man-made lake, but it's been 45 years now. Nature has taken over.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Ian Malcolm said it best...Life uh finds a way. But maybe this will keep people from putting their hands in the water while riding splash mountain since people are realizing all the water is connected.

I still would be in a state of shock if I witnessed it firsthand.

So, a dinosaur came out of the water at a $760/night theme park resort and ate a 2 year old in front of about 300 people.

It's way too soon for me to finish this post.

Maybe next year. Maybe.
Are we seriously blaming Disney for this?

Yes, this signage should be better, but in over 300 Alligator attacks since 1948, only 23 have resulted in death. WDW has been open for 45 years and this is the first incident of it's kind. It's simply a freak accident, that no one could have expected.

Yes, this signage should be better, but in over 300 Alligator attacks since 1948, only 23 have resulted in death. WDW has been open for 45 years and this is the first incident of it's kind. It's simply a freak accident, that no one could have expected.
Except it happened during "Hell Week"....What a bad fortune week for Orlando. So sad.

So sad :( I suppose I take certain things for granted, being a born and raised Floridian. I learned at a very young age that a gator could steal a pet or a person, so we never went swimming in the lake. But I'm sure a family from Nebraska would have no idea of the danger. A friend of mine from Canada, who has been to WDW exactly one time in his life, told me he would consider a "do not swim" sign to be a warning about, like, algae or something like that. Gator would never enter his mind. And again, I can't fathom this at all, but I recognize that I have lived here my whole life and it's just one of those things I grew up knowing about.

I spent a summer as a Jungle Cruise Skipper long ago, 2000-ish. During one shift, instead of going on parade duty, I was told to stand and guard a railing on the Liberty Square side that overlooked Tom Sawyer Island. There was a gator in the water near Tom Sawyer Island eating a bird. So, my job that afternoon was to keep guests from seeing the gator. I remember being surprised way back when that a gator could get in, but it was explained to me that Bay Lake connected to a lot of different waterways and there were frequently gators around.

Reactions: Journey_On
So sad :( I suppose I take certain things for granted, being a born and raised Floridian. I learned at a very young age that a gator could steal a pet or a person, so we never went swimming in the lake. But I'm sure a family from Nebraska would have no idea of the danger. A friend of mine from Canada, who has been to WDW exactly one time in his life, told me he would consider a "do not swim" sign to be a warning about, like, algae or something like that. Gator would never enter his mind. And again, I can't fathom this at all, but I recognize that I have lived here my whole life and it's just one of those things I grew up knowing about.

I spent a summer as a Jungle Cruise Skipper long ago, 2000-ish. During one shift, instead of going on parade duty, I was told to stand and guard a railing on the Liberty Square side that overlooked Tom Sawyer Island. There was a gator in the water near Tom Sawyer Island eating a bird. So, my job that afternoon was to keep guests from seeing the gator. I remember being surprised way back when that a gator could get in, but it was explained to me that Bay Lake connected to a lot of different waterways and there were frequently gators around.
Yes. As a northern tourist, I've spent many an evening at the Disney Caribbean Resort sitting on the lounge chairs that are only a few yards from the water, or on the hammocks that are on the beach also. Jet Ski rentals, all kinds of boat rentals available. Some people wading in the water during the day, though I never did that. The security boat goes by and says nothing to them. A sign that only says No Swimming. A possible alligator attack would be the furthest thing from my mind. No hint from Disney to be careful of gators or snakes. The average tourist probably thinks that the area is monitored and kept safe. Because, really nothing says it shouldn't be. I can't blame that family at all. If you quizzed the average northern or midwestern tourist before this attack, I doubt if any significant percentage would be aware of danger on a "resort property". I'm not blaming Disney, or even Universal since the situation is probably the same over there, just pointing out that's normal perceptions for tourists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Journey_On

No, no, no. I was going to make a horribly inappropriate joke that had nothing to do with blame.

Particularly that joke, on this particular board.

No, no, no. I was going to make a horribly inappropriate joke that had nothing to do with blame.

Particularly that joke, on this particular board.
Well, if you want a guide on how to not keep it classy, look no further than the WDWMagic thread on the same topic. Just within the first few pages people are talking about it possibly being a hoax and blaming the parents.

It's really disgusting.

Yes. As a northern tourist, I've spent many an evening at the Disney Caribbean Resort sitting on the lounge chairs that are only a few yards from the water, or on the hammocks that are on the beach also.

Yeah... don't do that. Go to Typhoon Lagoon or Volcano Bay, please please please.

Yeah... don't do that. Go to Typhoon Lagoon or Volcano Bay, please please please.
I don't think there's a reason to fear-monger over this incident. At that distance, they won't mess with you and most of the time they just leave you alone altogether. Gators are generally afraid of humans, children are most at risk because of their small stature.

Reactions: anihilnation
I don't think there's a reason to fear-monger over this incident. At that distance, they won't mess with you and most of the time they just leave you alone altogether. Gators are generally afraid of humans, children are most at risk because of their small stature.

Water moccasins are not picky where they sun themselves. That and alligator snapping turtles which are monsters more frightening than alligators, which I believe are American. That was my point. Be cautious.

Water moccasins are not picky where they sun themselves. That and alligator snapping turtles which are monsters more frightening than alligators, which I believe are American. That was my point. Be cautious.
I only have to worry about the occasional Black Bear in my woods that wanders out of the mountains down here to the foot hills. Besides that coons, groundhogs, possum, deer & wild turkeys are daily visitors, but those we like & feed in the winter when they're starving. And a few copper heads every now & then (we don't feed them). When I awaken in the morning and go out on my back balcony deck, it sometimes is like the animal preserve outside the AK hotel. :) And yes, I have a no swimming sign posted for my fish ponds. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.