Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

I disagree. Anything is possible as long as there is a will and want.
So say they want it open in 2021 as some have said. We are going into 2017 without them having broken ground, which would mean they would have 4 years or less to build an entire, state of the art theme park and resort on land that will need to be heavily prepped for stabilization. I just don't see it, no matter how much of a will or how much money they have to do it.

The plans would need to be finalized and it would need to be ready to go starting almost immediately.

We've heard so little that it's highly unlikely.

Simple water department land use permits would need to know building outlines and take nearly a year for approval for something that big.

The plans would need to be finalized and it would need to be ready to go starting almost immediately.

We've heard so little that it's highly unlikely.

Simple water department land use permits would need to know building outlines and take nearly a year for approval for something that big.

If, and I am saying If UPR opens a theme park down there before 2021-2022, I see work starting heavily next year and that it'd be a mid-late 2022 launch for the park.

My gut feeling is Universal is all gun-ho on starting the new park, but things like city/county approval of Universal plans, as well as county plans for mass transportation is holding Universal up.

Volcano Bay will take 1 1/2 years of construction.
The new resort, CityWalk type thing, hotel, and transport hub could take them 4 years.
If they start next year, 2022 is very possible.

EDIT: Nintendo would open before, that way it allows people to have a reason to visit all the parks.

Clean up, approval and infrastructure will take the longest time. EPCOT was built in two years. The original UO resort expansion didn't really start in earnest till 1996 and IOA, CityWalk and Portofino were all open in early 1999.

How much work have they done on the Beijing site? And is that still looking like 2020? Cos if so then surely that time scale would be what we're looking at plus up to a year for planning approvals etc.

Yeah, I think they are still getting their ducks in a row for the new site. There is a lot of infrastructure that has to be done. A lot. This isn't just tearing down an existing land and building a new one. There is nothing there right now. There are drainage ponds that they would likely want to move. There is the Kirkman road extension that will almost certainly have to be done before they can open. Since that's a government project, Uni can't just hire more contractors to get it done quicker. Whatever cleanup that has to be done will take time. Then theres the question of if they are going to try to buy more of the property in that area. The pending lawsuit over the right to even build a theme park on it. The design and permitting process on this will take longer than a single land or attraction as well. Especially if they are going to open a new Citiwalk and hotels at the same time. If a single land is 5-6 years from design to open, I can't imagine a park taking less time. Should be longer really. They just purchased the land this year. That puts them at 2022 at the earliest. Even if they had started blue skying the project before they owned it, they still have all of the above to deal with. Also, what about the Wet N' Wild plot.

Another thing to consider, if they are going to just throw money at it to get the project done, I'd think they'd have to finish construction at the existing parks/hotels and not have anything major scheduled for a couple years. They are going to want their A-team of contractors on this. Nassal's best, etc. They can only spread them so far, and if the entire park is themed out like we hope it will be, they aren't going to have time for much else. And if they are doing Nintendo at the same time, they will want them there too. Throwing money at it can get you more crews, but theres something to be said for skilled and experienced crews. I almost think we won't see them starting to go vertical on the new park until Nintendo is wrapping up. That way Nassal can go straight from Nintendo to the new park. As the the crews that will do infrastructure and framing will be done at Nintendo by then, it should make a nice flow of projects. It might make sense for them to start the Hotels and Citiwalk first as those won't have the detailed theming or ride headaches. I thing 2 years after Nintendo opens is the absolute earliest reasonable opening of the new park, but 3 might be more likely. 2022-23 is not that crazy of a thought.

Just realized this was the Nintendo thread. Topic has gotten off a track a bit, but I'm not going to delete a long rambling gem of a post like this one. lol

I see it the other way around. Zelda to replace Lost Continent, Pokémon with it's own land in Park 3.

1) Pokémon is WAY more popular
2) Lost Continent could be an easy transition to Hyrule.
I agree Pokemon is more popular and also makes more sense for increasing the kid/female appeal of Universal's offerings. It should be the anchor for the third gate (DreamWorks, Illumination, Laika, Fantastic Beasts, Jurassic World and the second-tier Nintendo franchises like Metroid/Star Fox/Animal Crossing would make for a good kid-friendly third gate)

But Hyrule really should get its own land, even if it takes over Toon Lagoon (Dudley is already suited to a mountainous E-ticket and people have always found the theming to be lackluster, Popeye/Olive/Wimpy's would make a great Wind Waker mini-land, the Toon Lagoon theater area could finally have some purpose).

IMO, Lost Continent is too small for a decent-sized land. It either needs to be overhauled, used for a Whoville mini-land (Grinch coaster/dark ride, Seussical-esque production ala Aladdin at DCA) or used for something like the Wonka concept (one that isn't epic/popular enough to warrant 8-12 acres)

While I wouldn't complain if Zelda does replace LC, I think Toon Lagoon or the third gate are better in terms of space.

I agree Pokemon is more popular and also makes more sense for increasing the kid/female appeal of Universal's offerings. It should be the anchor for the third gate (DreamWorks, Illumination, Laika, Fantastic Beasts, Jurassic World and the second-tier Nintendo franchises like Metroid/Star Fox/Animal Crossing would make for a good kid-friendly third gate)

But Hyrule really should get its own land, even if it takes over Toon Lagoon (Dudley is already suited to a mountainous E-ticket and people have always found the theming to be lackluster, Popeye/Olive/Wimpy's would make a great Wind Waker mini-land, the Toon Lagoon theater area could finally have some purpose).

IMO, Lost Continent is too small for a decent-sized land. It either needs to be overhauled, used for a Whoville mini-land (Grinch coaster/dark ride, Seussical-esque production ala Aladdin at DCA) or used for something like the Wonka concept (one that isn't epic/popular enough to warrant 8-12 acres)

While I wouldn't complain if Zelda does replace LC, I think Toon Lagoon or the third gate are better in terms of space.
I think LC is merely missing a strong anchor attraction..I rather like the mythology aspect, but it needs an E-ticket...And the show needs to be better...Either that, or kill it and put in more Potter haha

While I disagree with those in this thread saying Zelda isn't popular enough for representation, I do not think it's popular enough to support its own mega-land, hence why I think Lost Continent is the place for it.

I think LC is merely missing a strong anchor attraction..I rather like the mythology aspect, but it needs an E-ticket...And the show needs to be better...Either that, or kill it and put in more Potter haha
Question is, do you make LC a land again? Or Give some land to HP, and them the rest of the land to Suess and re-theme suess entirely?