Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

I've heard thrill level will be SDMT level... theming will be Barnstormer level.
Not much thrill to it then. Great theming, beautiful landscaping & excellent dark scene were SDMT strengths. Not much in the way of thrills though, with a fairly mundane ride. And the swaying really never materialized into much.

Not much thrill to it then. Great theming, beautiful landscaping & excellent dark scene were SDMT strengths. Not much in the way of thrills though, with a fairly mundane ride. And the swaying really never materialized into much.
I've come to appreciate the two drops for what they are. Slightly less thrilling than Big Thunder, but it's still fun.

Pro Tip: If you want to get on the ride with little to no wait multiple times, go right before park close. They always exaggerate the wait to dissuade people from riding, but the wait is usually 15-20 minutes max at closing. Same tip could be said for Frozen Ever After... ride it right when Illuminations is going on and there will be just about no one in line.

I've come to appreciate the two drops for what they are. Slightly less thrilling than Big Thunder, but it's still fun.

Pro Tip: If you want to get on the ride with little to no wait multiple times, go right before park close. They always exaggerate the wait to dissuade people from riding, but the wait is usually 15-20 minutes max at closing. Same tip could be said for Frozen Ever After... ride it right when Illuminations is going on and there will be just about no one in line.
Heh. Thanks much for the tips.:thumbsup: I'm one of those that actually likes SDMT a lot, it's just way too short... I'll be at Epcot for a day during my Universal hotel stay, so I'm sure I won't be able to get a fastpass, so your Frozen tip will be of great assistance, I'm not a big Illuminations fan so that'll be easy to skip.

Once I'm home, I'll have a few comments about Toy Story Land in Paris.

While I'm posting I have to ask, does WDW have any rails like this?:

IMG_8226.JPG

I'm guessing the bar at the top is to stop people sitting on the rails.

Once I'm home, I'll have a few comments about Toy Story Land in Paris.

While I'm posting I have to ask, does WDW have any rails like this?:

View attachment 3772

I'm guessing the bar at the top is to stop people sitting on the rails.
In lots of places where WDW has new build they have railings similar, discouraging people from sitting on them. New Fantasyland, Expanded MK Hub, Animal Kingdom refurbishments, etc. The actual rides do not have that type of railing though.

And yeah, Paris' TSL is incredibly embarrassing. Thankfully we're getting at least a slight step up from that.

In lots of places where WDW has new build they have railings similar, discouraging people from sitting on them. New Fantasyland, Expanded MK Hub, Animal Kingdom refurbishments, etc. The actual rides do not have that type of railing though.

And yeah, Paris' TSL is incredibly embarrassing. Thankfully we're getting at least a slight step up from that.

It's incredibly badly themed, with so much material to work with, I don't know how it ended up looking so bare.

However the rides were great. RC Racer in particular was a lot more fun than I had thought it would be. RC racer as a coaster makes a lot more sense to me as a coaster.

I'm not sure if the ride experiences will be a lot better but I can see the reasons why these rides wouldn't work.

RC Racer is too extreme and the capacity is awful. Parachute drop is a fun ride but again, low capacity and the height would be an issue. The Slinky ride is what it is.

Anyway, here's some photos of hopefully TSL wont look. The quality isn't great and the last is from our room's balcony.
DSCN2761.jpg DSCN2760.jpg DSCN2759.jpg DSCN2758.jpg DSCN2756.jpg DSCN2757.jpg DSCN2788.jpg

Looks like you stayed in Val D'Europe? That's where I stayed in November, lovely place!

I don't hate ToyStory Playland but that's probably because the park is that bad I have no hopes for it. It's kinda clever with the Slinkydog queue being Slinky's box etc but yeah it isn't Disney standard (and the scaletric styled queue for RC is so annoying).

It's a real shame for such a big IP that these lands are what we get.

Looks like you stayed in Val D'Europe? That's where I stayed in November, lovely place!

I don't hate ToyStory Playland but that's probably because the park is that bad I have no hopes for it. It's kinda clever with the Slinkydog queue being Slinky's box etc but yeah it isn't Disney standard (and the scaletric styled queue for RC is so annoying).

It's a real shame for such a big IP that these lands are what we get.

We stayed in Val D'Europe, yeah. The location was excellent and it's a lovely wee town to stay. The hotel had a great concierge and would drop us off and pick us up at the park within minutes. The spa had a steam room so I could at least close my eyes and pretend I was in Orlando with the humidity, ha.

The whole resort as a whole seemed a little odd for Disney. With the 25th anniversary starting next month, I had thought it would be in much better shape.

The security was ridiculous. There was groups of 5 soldiers patrolling outside Disney with assault rifles which was alarming. Understandable but still slightly shocking to see at Disney.

I love the Knex fence :thumbsup:
Although they got the colours of some of the rods wrong! :)

A fellow knex enthusiast, we're few and far between. The wrong colours bugged me too. :lol:

I would guess that any kind of Lego in the parks or movies would be a big no no.

The whole resort as a whole seemed a little odd for Disney. With the 25th anniversary starting next month, I had thought it would be in much better shape.
Was it your first time? In previous years it's been in much worse shape believe me! This is as good as it gets, with the harsher winters than the US Parks, it all takes a beating.

The security was ridiculous. There was groups of 5 soldiers patrolling outside Disney with assault rifles which was alarming. Understandable but still slightly shocking to see at Disney.
Thats pretty standard for Paris since the attacks, they've always had them all over Paris in general since I first visited 17 years ago. The armed soldiers are not actually on property though, just by the station?

Comparing to London, I see armed police with rifles all the time in the City area.

Was it your first time? In previous years it's been in much worse shape believe me! This is as good as it gets, with the harsher winters than the US Parks, it all takes a beating.

Thats pretty standard for Paris since the attacks, they've always had them all over Paris in general since I first visited 17 years ago. The armed soldiers are not actually on property though, just by the station?

Comparing to London, I see armed police with rifles all the time in the City area.

I'd been before in 2004 with my school but I'd say that was a bit more of a wild trip than normal. It did seem odd being in Disney and actually feeling cold for once. I think the guards were just patrolling the station in hindsight but they were over talking to the security people to get into Disney whether they knew each other or whatever.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It was quieter than the US parks and far cheaper.

Kind of boring watching their progress. Seems as if nothing happens too quickly. For those who want to see another poor attempt at Toy Story Land, go to youtube and query Hong Kong Disney TSL. Oy.
Slow for the type of project it is certainly, but it'll be finished for early next year.

I agree that all the other TSL's are pretty bad. Ours will be the best almost by default just because the others are sooooooooooo bad. However the bigger problem is they are trying to make a land out of something that shouldn't have one. Toy Story, for as much as Disney loves to milk it, makes for a TERRIBLE theme park land and attractions.

I liked Toy Story Land when I was at DLP. I mean.. I could tell it was done horribly on the cheap... but done well. I only rode Slinky due to wait times. I'll try to get on RC Racer when I'm at HKDL later this year.

Slow for the type of project it is certainly, but it'll be finished for early next year.

I agree that all the other TSL's are pretty bad. Ours will be the best almost by default just because the others are sooooooooooo bad. However the bigger problem is they are trying to make a land out of something that shouldn't have one. Toy Story, for as much as Disney loves to milk it, makes for a TERRIBLE theme park land and attractions.

Not counting TSMM, it would make for a great dark ride, in the vein of Mystic Manor. Just not a whole land. I would think that Pixar land, with multiple rides from various movies (one each) would have been a better usage of the land and IP's.

I liked Toy Story Land when I was at DLP. I mean.. I could tell it was done horribly on the cheap... but done well. I only rode Slinky due to wait times. I'll try to get on RC Racer when I'm at HKDL later this year.
I'm incredibly happy we didn't get RC Racer.

While I hear people enjoy it, i've been on a similar ride at Six Flags and the ride also is short and has a horrible capacity, which makes for a terrible main attraction in a land. Sight lines also would've been really bad had RC Racer been imported.

While Slinky will be a short coaster, it will be far better capacity than RC Racer and it's technically not even the main attraction in the land as this is the only TSL with TSMM.

It really shouldn't make a terrible land. The IP has so much potential for a great land and great rides. Part of the issue is that the IP has been sprayed about the parks when it should have got it's own land from the start.

It really shouldn't make a terrible land. The IP has so much potential for a great land and great rides. Part of the issue is that the IP has been sprayed about the parks when it should have got it's own land from the start.
What can you really theme a GOOD Toy Story land too besides the rather cheesy "Andy's Backyard" theme?

(I agree though that the IP has been sprayed around too much... Buzz really needs to go from TL)