Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The State of Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Impressions stays, the only place to put the Rat ride is in the expansion pad between France and Morocco. Ratatouille has a big show building.

If Impressions stays, the only place to put the Rat ride is in the expansion pad between France and Morocco. Ratatouille has a big show building.

I thought that was always the plan. The "building" between the restaurants and the ice cream shop is literally just a hallway used to move CM's and pastries and baked goods around the pavilion. Pop it open and make it a guest area and the ride can dump into that back area.

There is quite a bit of room directly behind the France pavilion. Depending on how they orient the show building, I see no reason they'd need to take up all (or even most) of the plot next door.

A quick search yielded this low-quality pic, which appears to show that the Ratatouille show building could actually fit in two separate spots...

Rat_Ride.png

Have you guys done Ratatouille? As much as I love the movie, the characters, and the look of the whole land in WDSP, if the ride were at Universal, it would probably the 6th best screen attraction there.

Have you guys done Ratatouille? As much as I love the movie, the characters, and the look of the whole land in WDSP, if the ride were at Universal, it would probably the 6th best screen attraction there.

That says more about Universal's go-to approach lately than anything else, I think. I've only seen videos of the Ratatouille ride, and while I do think it's too much on the simulator side of things, it looks fine. There's really no ride like it in any of Disney's Florida parks, and it would be a decent fit for the pavilion.

You have it right, that's exactly where it would be going.

Yeah it's not ideal. It's basically all screens with almost no practical, too.nHowever, if they are hellbent on inserting IP, Rat is a people eater and it fits France fairly well for an animated IP.

Part of the problem with all the festivals is you draw so many people to WS and there's almost no rides, which leaves the walkways incredibly crowded. This would help draw people to the park while also drawing people off the walkways.

Last edited:
You have it right, that's exactly where it would be going.

Yeah it's not ideal. It's basically all screens with almost no practical, too.nHowever, if they are hellbent on inserting IP, Rat is a people eater and it fits France fairly well for an animated IP.

Part of the problem with all the festivals is you draw so many people to WS and there's almost no rides, which leaves the walkways incredibly crowded. This would help draw people to the park while also drawing people off the walkways.
And get me out of the sun so I stop burning when walking 'round the world. You can only watch Impressions so many times and Oh Canada before you start reciting it along with voice over guy and Martin Short.

And get me out of the sun so I stop burning when walking 'round the world. You can only watch Impressions so many times and Oh Canada before you start reciting it along with voice over guy and Martin Short.

"And without knowing why, they always say 'We must go!'"

Right there with you on that one lol.

Seriously though, as much as I wasn't heavily impressed by the online pov videos, I'd rather see Rat dropped in the BatB, for just about every positive reason that's already been brought up. If we can get it without having to sacrifice Impressions de France, I'm all in.

"And without knowing why, they always say 'We must go!'"

Right there with you on that one lol.

Seriously though, as much as I wasn't heavily impressed by the online pov videos, I'd rather see Rat dropped in the BatB, for just about every positive reason that's already been brought up. If we can get it without having to sacrifice Impressions de France, I'm all in.
My only concern, and I don't think we've brought this up much yet, is that it will be the same ride system as the new Star Wars battle attraction being built at DHS right now, (I think, no?) Not that Disney doesn't want cloned ride systems at multiple parks, just not sure they want to build them within a couple years of one another.

Universal didn't build Transformers right after Spider-Man, and that's kind of what this would look like. (Although Universal is building Fast and Furious right after Kong, and they may end up quite similar, so what do I know.)

My only concern, and I don't think we've brought this up much yet, is that it will be the same ride system as the new Star Wars battle attraction being built at DHS right now, (I think, no?) Not that Disney doesn't want cloned ride systems at multiple parks, just not sure they want to build them within a couple years of one another.

Universal didn't build Transformers right after Spider-Man, and that's kind of what this would look like. (Although Universal is building Fast and Furious right after Kong, and they may end up quite similar, so what do I know.)

You raise a valid concern, especially given the close proximity between DHS and Epcot. I can imagine the non-enthusiast guest comments now: "Honey, we waited three hours for this stupid Star Wars laser ride, but it was the same as that mousetrap ride we rode in Epcot this morning!"

However, if the rumors are true that the battle attraction will have guests exiting the vehicle then re-boarding, it might make for a different enough experience that the average guest won't notice or mind. On top of that, I could see the hype of Star Wars and the existence of the Millenium Falcon attraction watering down most of the negativity around duplicated ride systems.

I'll admit I'm biased here, though. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting our own copy of DL's Indy ride somewhere on property, even though it's ride system and track layout (and smell) would be an exact clone of Dinosaur.

Disney certainly isn't worried about cloning ride systems it seems as the rumored Mickey ride to replace GMR is the same as well.

Granted we must take into account a lot can be done with an LPS system to make each individual ride different from each other, but I agree, building too many of the same right in a row may seem a bit like Universal currently where you get a bit of screen fatigue or start to feel like it was the same type of ride as the last.

You raise a valid concern, especially given the close proximity between DHS and Epcot. I can imagine the non-enthusiast guest comments now: "Honey, we waited three hours for this stupid Star Wars laser ride, but it was the same as that mousetrap ride we rode in Epcot this morning!"

However, if the rumors are true that the battle attraction will have guests exiting the vehicle then re-boarding, it might make for a different enough experience that the average guest won't notice or mind. On top of that, I could see the hype of Star Wars and the existence of the Millenium Falcon attraction watering down most of the negativity around duplicated ride systems.

I'll admit I'm biased here, though. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting our own copy of DL's Indy ride somewhere on property, even though it's ride system and track layout (and smell) would be an exact clone of Dinosaur.
Yea, if it works for Universal's Spidey/Transformers, why not? I'd love to get Indy as well...

And wait a sec. I have not heard that the SW battle ride has guests disembark and get back on during the attraction. I must head to the SW thread and investigate!

Yea, if it works for Universal's Spidey/Transformers, why not? I'd love to get Indy as well...

And wait a sec. I have not heard that the SW battle ride has guests disembark and get back on during the attraction. I must head to the SW thread and investigate!
I do not believe our SW thread has talked about it. I'm not confident that it's true, although I have heard the rumor.

From an ops standpoint getting off/back on during the attraction is impractical.

I do not believe our SW thread has talked about it. I'm not confident that it's true, although I have heard the rumor.

From an ops standpoint getting off/back on during the attraction is impractical.
Yea, doubles the load time, and can cause twice the backups... which Disney suffers from dramatically due to ADA situations that slow the ride/stop the omnimovers constantly.

Just for the record, I was only citing that rumor as a possible point of differentiation between the two attractions. Personally, I hope it's not true for the reasons you mentioned as well as my preference that the ride experience be consistent, rather than broken up into short sections like this would dictate.

You'll have to head over to WDW Magic to catch that info, plus it's kind of spread out through a couple of different threads. Lots of heavy reading to get a glimpse of the rumor.

Oh how I'd kill for an article like what Andy did on the original plans of Forbidden Journey..
The biggest difference is no BATB ride. The one in question that Tokyo gobbled up and is building would've been a part of NFL. We also ended up with a shorter Mine Train (Mine Train got cut and re-added) and storybook circus instead of Pixie Hollow.

Star Wars and New Fantasyland stuff is all conversations for other threads though. Let's keep this focused on Epcot.

Status
Not open for further replies.