Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 377 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had such a rollercoaster of feelings for this land.
When it was announced I was like... Avatar? Really.
Then after seeing parts of Shanghai I was pretty excited.
Now, I'm still excited but more intrigued. I was really looking forward to the River journey and probably naively thought it would be like Shanghai Pirates but from what i've seen it looks more like Gran Fiesta tour.

I'm going in September, I know it will be gorgeous, I know I will like it. I think I was just hoping for something a bit more thrilling.

Reactions: LieutLaww and Quint
I'm impressed with the AA. Will the same company build the Trump AA for the Hall of presidents? That would make one impressive twittering Donald saying "wall" and "fchina".

Reactions: Quint
it won one and had a 25% on rotten tomatoes
Avatar won 3 and was nominated for 9 awards including best picture and best director it also won golden globe picture of the year as well as drama and director
i mean its your opinion to not like the movie but the facts say it was as popular and successful as a movie can be literally every level box office, critical acclaim, home sales
its just facts

In my opinion, it had the worst sound (follies I think is what movies call it) that I have ever heard from such a high budget movie.

I think it was successful because of its use of 3D which hadn't been used like that up until that point. I think Disney had a lot riding on 3D being big, heck, back when this deal was made, Disney had Camron's company producing ESPN's 3D broadcast...a lot has changed since Avatar came out, changed since 3D TVs never took off, it is a different world today.

I am sure people will love this land, I am sure Camron wants Avatar to be his Star Wars, but not everything can be 'created' and need the public to believe or bond to a franchise for said franchise to become a mammoth like Star Wars.

In my opinion, it had the worst sound (follies I think is what movies call it) that I have ever heard from such a high budget movie.

I think it was successful because of its use of 3D which hadn't been used like that up until that point. I think Disney had a lot riding on 3D being big, heck, back when this deal was made, Disney had Camron's company producing ESPN's 3D broadcast...a lot has changed since Avatar came out, changed since 3D TVs never took off, it is a different world today.

I am sure people will love this land, I am sure Camron wants Avatar to be his Star Wars, but not everything can be 'created' and need the public to believe or bond to a franchise for said franchise to become a mammoth like Star Wars.
i always ask this and never get an answer
if 3D was the big reason why it was so big why is it the number 1 grossing home market (DVD/Blu Ray) of all time?
anyways thanks for the reply
im about to shut down on avatar threads because i dont want anymore spoilers

Last edited:
Reactions: UNIrd
i always ask this and never get an answer
if 3D was the big reason why it was so big why is it the number 1 grossing home market (DVD/Blu Ray) of all time?
anyways thanks for the reply
im about to shut down on avatar threads because i dont want anymore spoilers

Because it was a pretty movie (as I am sure the land will be)...but I also recall when 'Dancing with the Wolves' was the most beautiful movie anyone had ever seen...but I do not think that meant anything five years later.

Something's position in the zeitgeist isn't static.

That's a mistake marketing people tend to make all the time. It's why we see companies painfully trying to be hip or take on a current trend and failing.

AVATAR was liked when it came out - no debate there. On an artistic level it has some holes though and then, in sense that hindsight is 20/20, it has faded from memory for a lot of people because of those holes. No one being able to name a character or quote dialog showcases that.

A one-hit-wonder is a real thing. Do any of us think The Macarena is a classic song? Well by the numbers it should be a beloved classic. Most of us never want to hear it again. Things move in the zeitgeist and while you can predict trends, sometimes we have to rely on human intuition - the gut - to know when the numbers aren't showing the whole picture.

That's a mistake marketing people tend to make all the time. It's why we see companies painfully trying to be hip or take on a current trend and failing.

AVATAR was liked when it came out - no debate there. On an artistic level it has some holes though and the in sense that hindsight is 20/20 it has faded from memory for a lot of people because of those holes. No one being able to name a character or quote dialog showcases that.

A one-hit-wonder is a real thing. Do any of us think The Macarena is a classic song? Well by the numbers it should be a beloved classic. Most of us never want to hear it again. Things move in the zeitgeist and while you can predict trends, sometimes we have to rely on human intuition - the gut - to know when the numbers aren't showing the whole picture.

Better example would be Gangnam Style. Which was a huge song and all follow up songs flopped.

AVATAR was liked when it came out - no debate there. On an artistic level it has some holes though and then, in sense that hindsight is 20/20, it has faded from memory for a lot of people because of those holes. No one being able to name a character or quote dialog showcases that.

I can 0nly remember like 3 names, and I've seen that movie like ten times.

It's likely it was created in 8K, runs at 60 FPS vs the little under 30 for a traditional film. That's account for the increase.

8K, 60FPS (if not 120FPS), designed to be fitted for an IMAX-like screen (versus more traditional film dimensions).

Yeah, that tidbit actually checks out. Cool!

Stepping back, I realized that I was looking at this land in the wrong kind of way. Who has been Disney's main demographic? Young children and their families. This land if I was 5 would be the greatest and most amazing thing ever even more so than Potter. Why?

1. Its open, airy, wonky, and colorful. Kids movies that tend to do extremely well are bright fun lovely. Just like this land.
2. Its has a sense of adventure. Camp Jurassic and Avatar will have that exploration concept working for it really well.
3. Giant Blue People. Who doesn't love seeing people they never get to see.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
I think this land is being marketed to everyone. FOP will be too thrilling for small children.

Avatar still has the chance to become a cultural phenom. The theme park, and various sequels will assure that it will become much more visible to the general public.

Of course the sequel could totally flop, but that's the gamble Disney ultimately took. We will see if it pays off, or if the park becomes more popular than the actual movie franchise.

Like Splash Mountain.

[Excellent post redacted for space]

Best example can be seen up the street--Shrek. Record-breaking first two movies, but less than a decade later, nowhere near the icon everyone expected when they built him a mini-land. Fievel another good example; if you weren't around in the early to mid 80s, it's hard to get across just how big those two American Tail movies were. Couldn't tell you the last time I even saw them referenced outside UOR.

Pointing out these IPs have not lived up to their potential in no way makes me a Universal "hater."

Nathan Rabin (former editor of the AV Club) has an occasional series of columns on what he calls "Forgotbusters." It's worth a read--and yes, there's one on Avatar. But this happens a lot. We're not just singling out this movie. But there is no question this movie is a Forgotbuster.

I actually think a lot of Universals properties are a bit long in the tooth. Mummy (with Brendan Frasier) and MIB aren't really relevant IPs anymore either. That's the big risk of banking on current trends vs. cultural classics, or creating your own IPs.

The one benefit with Avatar, is that JC has a whole new saga coming, that will hopefully liven up the IP.

Best example can be seen up the street--Shrek. Record-breaking first two movies, but less than a decade later, nowhere near the icon everyone expected when they built him a mini-land. Fievel another good example; if you weren't around in the early to mid 80s, it's hard to get across just how big those two American Tail movies were. Couldn't tell you the last time I even saw them referenced outside UOR.

Pointing out these IPs have not lived up to their potential in no way makes me a Universal "hater."

Nathan Rabin (former editor of the AV Club) has an occasional series of columns on what he calls "Forgotbusters." It's worth a read--and yes, there's one on Avatar. But this happens a lot. We're not just singling out this movie. But there is no question this movie is a Forgotbuster.
heres where i slightly disagree with your posts although you make great points
You do not need to have a great understanding of the movie to appreciate the awe inspiring look of the land
You dont need to know the characters
This land is about the environment not any particular person (similar to other parts of DAK)
DAK lands typically are about places Africa, Asia etc
Pandora is no different
I think its as simple as Disney saw this as a way to generate an interest in staying at DAK at night (not a 1/2 day park type of thing)
i think the chances of Avatar 2 being a hit are far greater than it failing, i mean the guy doesnt really miss on movies
To quote Patrick Henry "I know of no way of judging the future but by the pass"
I did read a review of the land where the person said they didnt see the movie and felt like they didnt need to after experiencing it
anyways who cares what i think ill be there on May 13th to check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.