Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 381 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your thoughts on the land's atmosphere?

It's interesting. It certainly feel like it's Animal Kingdom. Certain choices in Satuli still feel odd. The audio of animals is hard to hear over the water and background noise in general - i'd prefer a musical score with rich tones. It feels noisy but quiet because of that lack of musicality. Canteen seems to have gotten its own music now though. It's very much about wandering around with lots of crisscrossing paths. Places to sit, small walls, etc..

Do you think you will go back often or this land is a once or twice but can live without doing if packed?

Get a FP for FOP when possible, bring first timers to see the boat ride and maybe do it if the line is short - FOP is new defacto headliner for AK.

Though I do have a question, from what I've seen of the pre-shows they look nice, but I imagine they'd get old/long-winded with rerides. Do you think that might be the case?

Well.. He's not a great actor, that's for sure. That part where it cut out and goes ion standby... you spend a lot of time just waiting. I assume it's to allow flexibility in loading and such, but you spend a long time in a small room with just the pixelated outlines of the people riding with you to look at.

The queue for FOP is looooooooong. Like gives FJ a run for its money on length. First you're outside and have to get up the mountain a level or so. You'll see in pics you go from the arch to up above a waterfall on the show building mountain bits.

Then it's lots of Navii caves, which eventually go into the mining installation, which is then overgrown with glowing plants (and there is a LOT of that too - like whole Star Tour queue series of ramps in length and plus some in just that section) and THEN you enter the modern science base, see the lab, and then a sort of explanatory video is visible in the queue and then you begin being sorted.

Several rows of ramps go up a floor - that feeds the 2nd and 3rd floor vehicles. A series of matching ramps goes down, that's the first level of the ride. You'll see it in the pics, but that area is pretty huge. Like Soarin but with multiple single file ramps up and down.

Fastpass skips some of the caves (but runs right next to the standby outdoor queue), skips most of the mining queue, all of the overgrown mining queue, nearly all of the new labs (including the floating navii and sample critters.) Fastpass meets up right the ramps up and down.

Those leads to a landing with doors, A1 A2, B1 B2, C1 C2, etc.. They pull from the lines to assign to the doors. Each door leads to the "stand on a spot and gets talked to about the process and then decontamination and then wait for a while" room. That, as you've seen in videos, goes to the "have courage" video room, and then finally you go down a little hall and two sections (they make a V, you can see the other riders in the other section if you look over) and load.

It's long. You get off and then go down all those switchbacks down the ramp until you pop out in Windtraders.

Last edited:
@epcyclopedia How intense would you say FOP compares to other sims at Disney and Uni?

If you can handle FJ's simulated drops in the screen sections you'll be ok. But there are a lot of them. It's certainly more intense than Soarin. It's not really the same as something like Star Tours because that vehicle moves forward and back and tilts and while it does "drop" it's never that straight on down type drop that gives you tummy butterflies the way FOP and FJ do.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Ok, since there are a crap ton of photos to go through and i dont want to make this forum impossible to load, i'll use this hosting site i found and if we want to discuss something particular we can pull and post the image.

So I'll break it up into galleries!
Pongu Pongu:

Satuli:

Flight of Passage Exterior Queue:

If you can handle FJ's simulated drops in the screen sections you'll be ok. But there are a lot of them. It's certainly more intense than Soarin. It's not really the same as something like Star Tours because that vehicle moves forward and back and tilts and while it does "drop" it's never that straight on down type drop that gives you tummy butterflies the way FOP and FJ do.

Glow Stuff:

A ton of exterior shots around the land!

First 15:

Next 15:

Next 15:

Final Set:

If you find something you don't understand in there, let me know. I did some quick cutting of the fat with blurry pics and other things not worth looking at, but i'm sure there's some that slipped by. You'll also notice i didnt take many photos of the boat ride. I intended to get back there before the end of the day but that didnt happen, but there's not much to see. It's a much smaller queue than FOP, like a woven/thatched roof and a little bit of the caves and ACE stuff before you hop on, and then it spits you out into the middle of the land.

A one-hit-wonder is a real thing. Do any of us think The Macarena is a classic song? Well by the numbers it should be a beloved classic.

Sorry- it is a beloved classic. Disney moms all over the globe adore it. If it weren't, then why would Disney play it during all their dance parties I ask? Exactly. It's basically Mozart of the 1990s.

Reactions: hishedale
I don't really want to give a full review. Not really any spoilers below. Just an overall impression.

The land is pretty, but it's all rocks, trees and water falls.

Honestly there's not much to do there. The two rides, a gift shop, and the canteen. It's all located along the far wall close together. Everything else is walking paths. I was expecting cool details and surprises that we didn't know about while walking around but there's not really anything there. Most of the land is unused space with pretty trees and rocks.

The river journey is really detailed. It's mostly projections with 1 AA that is incredible. The ride is really really short. The people that wait 2 hours to ride it are going to be MAD. There are only 4-5 rooms in it but the boat moves slow so you think it's longer.

All of the money in the land was spent on the Flight of Passage standby queue. It seems like a mile long and it's room after room of amazing detail. If you go in the Fastpass line you don't see any of it. FOP was cool. It was NOT ground breaking but an evolutionary step forward from Soarin'.
The gift shop was a gift shop, the canteen looked like something in Animal Kingdom lodge. Food was above average.

That's the entire land. You can see where all of the ground is painted with glow in the dark paint for the night time.

My big complaint is you could see the light fixtures on the ground and mounted on rocks and trees for the night time light up stuff. They don't try to hid any of it at all. Even inside the queues and rides I kept noticing led light strips everywhere. Maybe I'm just being over critical but that stood out to me.

All in all the land is an A+ but a lot of it is wasted space with nothing to do.

Thanks for your impressions, although I'm surprised at your grade with all the complaints. Sounded more like a B- review.

How it works...

The rooms you load into are essentially elevator cars attached to the building. Your seats pan, tilt, etc... and between your legs it breathes like a thigh master and then there is high def rumble in the stomach back butt and other contact points.

So the first minute was what my friends have deemed synchronized screaming. Because it seems so innocuous. You are sitting upright, not bent over, and held in place and you have to look straight down to see the panel. But the elevator arrangement allows you to drop the full height of that room you loaded in. It's very smooth movement and very well synchronized to the screen.

So a tilting seat - that can really tilt far - and then that elevator aspect. The reason they tell you to push items into the bins is because a foot or so past the bins the room drops and rises.
The floor doesn't go anywhere. It's concrete.

It's really well done but it's Soarin' 2.0. Maybe 3.0! You fly through landscapes and seascapes with wind blowing in your face. You smell scents. There's nothing else to call it. The experience is very similar. The ride is MUCH MORE INTENSE though. I got dizzy towards the end.

I will finish my comments with this, it's an A+ ride. I was smiling and laughing from ear to ear the whole time. And get ready for that WAVE, it's a special moment. It's a home run for Disney Screenz attractions. The level of themeing in the standby queue surpasses Gringotts/Hogwarts in my book. So much detail. It's a shame you miss all of it in the Fastpass line. That being said, there's no story really. I don't think it matters though. I would put it in my TOP 10 but not TOP 5.

The ride tower does move up and down to simulate the forces during flight.

Best place to sit is on the second level close to the center of the tower, not necessarily the very end chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.