Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really a new idea, but hoping for something "Suess High In the Sky Trolley " like, expanded across a greater lengthier track above/below/at grade through buildings, restaurants etc type of family ride. It can move slower, it can be a "through the years Universal trolley" or something. Idk. Love that idea with Suess, just so short!
A "Great Universal Movie" ride that laps throughout the park? Probably would warrant a few repeat rides

It's not that Universal doesn't have its share of nostalgia, but Universal themselves is simply terrible at playing it up and marketing that nostalgia.

Outside the old monster's films, how many other classic films have people seen by Universal? How many people have see All's Quiet on the western front, imitation of life, Ma and Pa Kettle, Peggy, Abott and Constello and off the films that are known, most of them trend adult and not family friendly i.e Scarface, Spartacus, Out of Africa, The Sting, Father Goose, Throughly Modern Millie, etc. All the things that were in the parks already were family friendly nostalgic properties.

Outside the old monster's films, how many other classic films have people seen by Universal? How many people have see All's Quiet on the western front, imitation of life, Ma and Pa Kettle, Peggy, Abott and Constello and off the films that are known, most of them trend adult and not family friendly i.e Scarface, Spartacus, Out of Africa, The Sting, Father Goose, Throughly Modern Millie, etc. All the things that were in the parks already were family friendly nostalgic properties.
I wasn't referring to any of the films you listed with my post but ok.

you said Universal is horrible at marketing nostalgia and I was stated the most influential and known nostalgia based films aren't mainstream.

The overall topic was Great Movie Universal at least how i took it
I guess I missed the context of what you guys were talking about. I was talking about nostalgia in their theme parks. UOR doesn't like to give their past much recognition.

It's not that Universal doesn't have its share of nostalgia, but Universal themselves is simply terrible at playing it up and marketing that nostalgia.

They have a difficult time because they've closed the majority of the rides. I think ET is the last original ride in the resort, I think T2 is next oldest after that.

Universal don't seem like the people to get sentimental.

They have a difficult time because they've closed the majority of the rides. I think ET is the last original ride in the resort, I think T2 is next oldest after that.

Universal don't seem like the people to get sentimental.
That's sort of my point. They've killed off so much that you can now turn that into a merchandise line, open an exhibit type space (sort of like One Man's Dream) showcasing the resort's history, a restaurant in CityWalk, etc, etc.

There's any number of things they could start to monetize within the resort that would be popular with locals and fans of the resort.

You can go forward at full speed and still appreciate your own history.
Universal has their own traditions.

-Only cover 75% of the show building.

-Open everything before it's close to running properly.

-Master Planning like a 5 year old with ADHD on Red Bull. (If a project hasn't broken ground within 30 mins. of it's first mention in a meeting, replace with a more current project)

-"Why use a stupid toy robot when you can use a MASSIVE IMAX screen instead?"

-and my favorite tradition, "Hot Nurse W/Jello Shots".

Universal has their own traditions.

-Only cover 75% of the show building.

-Open everything before it's close to running properly.

-Master Planning like a 5 year old with ADHD on Red Bull. (If a project hasn't broken ground within 30 mins. of it's first mention in a meeting, replace with a more current project)

-"Why use a stupid toy robot when you can use a MASSIVE IMAX screen instead?"

-and my favorite tradition, "Hot Nurse W/Jello Shots".
:lol: :cheers:....and most especially, "Hot Nurse with Jello Shots" :D:drool:

The nighttime show has a slew of classic nostalgia in it (and it's not worth to stay for it).
The Horror and Make-up show also pays tribute.
Nostalgia as a commercial product is created by Disney to be lazy to change their rides (didn't work and they finally are playing catch up) but they still manage to sell $30 t-shirts off the closure of the corpse.

As I said before, see it as a play, a concert, it's there for a while and then fades away as a fond memory.

Nostalgia as a commercial product is created by Disney to be lazy to change their rides (didn't work and they finally are playing catch up) but they still manage to sell $30 t-shirts off the closure of the corpse.
I'm not talking about that kind of crap that they call nostalgia. To be clear, i'm fine with selling people on memories/nostalgia, but the way Disney does it is slimy. They didn't produce any merch for UoE before just last week pretty much and not much else for GMR either.

What Universal needs is to make people feel more attached to certain things... I would love to see some original/timeless attractions in the fourth park that people instantly fall in love with. It doesn't always have to be the hottest thing.

What Universal needs is to make people feel more attached to certain things... I would love to see some original/timeless attractions in the fourth park that people instantly fall in love with. It doesn't always have to be the hottest thing.

They have had it before- see Jaws and BTTF- they just choose to replace it. It's what they do.

They have had it before- see Jaws and BTTF- they just choose to replace it. It's what they do.
They are strapped for land at USF/IOA though which is why they've had to replace and not expand. That won't be quite the case at Site B which is sort of my point.

They are strapped for land at USF/IOA though which is why they've had to replace and not expand. That won't be quite the case at Site B which is sort of my point.
For now they are. I'd argue it's more their mindset. Could they have removed Disaster/Beetlejuice and put in Diagon/Kings Cross there instead of Jaws? They still have expansion spots they aren't using. Minimally, I know. And no one makes more use out of their space than Universal- they're incredible.
But I would argue their mindset doesn't care about nostalgia or creating it. They've always had the ability- they just choose not to keep it/act on it.

But I would argue their mindset doesn't care about nostalgia or creating it. They've always had the ability- they just choose not to keep it/act on it.
I agree.

I'm gonna hang up my coat on this conversation though. I feel like it just keeps going 'round and 'round and it's all so trivial that I don't care to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.