Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

So when will the Kid Zone closures begin?

Well, I did find out a bit of information. It appears there was or is problems with scale regarding Mario. Scale issues with tech and throughput. Now what the scaling exactly pertains to I do not know but it does jive with what Alicia heard.

My take: For there to be delays, I would think the scale is regarding the vehicle tech and number of cars on the track at any one time; making them do what they want them to do. On the other hand, it might be the issue of AR, but I would doubt that would cause delays in construction.

This information comes from inside, but not as deep inside as I would prefer.
Maybe it feels a little cramped when going through show scenes under other showscenes. Or too tight narrow-ways. If they have to change the building height or width in any way, literally all the math has to be re-done. I could see that being a big slow down on progress.

Hopefully whatever it is gets worked out and the extra wait means better ride. :)

Other than the AR, this was my biggest question mark on Mario Kart. Just knowing what it is and what they want it to do, I was worried about capacity.

Could it possibly be they're making more Nintendo attractions to try and break up the crowds going there?
Hopefully they are adding more attractions. Three is not going to get it done back there.

Are there any rides out there where they have multiple obstacles blocking the track forward while still moving? I am talking about real obstacles. Test track and the door to outside is the only one that comes to mind, except that is a stop and go design.

Are there any rides out there where they have multiple obstacles blocking the track forward while still moving? I am talking about real obstacles. Test track and the door to outside is the only one that comes to mind, except that is a stop and go design.
Same thing, stop and go, but the false wall at the big scene at end of Gringotts too.

Edit: Actually, lots of Disney rides have doors like Imagination, and the former UoE/GMR too. Mostly sound barriers, but definitely closed doors over track.

Cat & The Hat has one or two as well... at least you go through the closet and the clothes move out of the way... if I remember.

Well, I did find out a bit of information. It appears there was or is problems with scale regarding Mario. Scale issues with tech and throughput. Now what the scaling exactly pertains to I do not know but it does jive with what Alicia heard.

My take: For there to be delays, I would think the scale is regarding the vehicle tech and number of cars on the track at any one time; making them do what they want them to do. On the other hand, it might be the issue of AR, but I would doubt that would cause delays in construction.

This information comes from inside, but not as deep inside as I would prefer.

Thinking this through, it may be just not being able to get enough hourly capacity for the ride. Compare this to your typical go cart track. I'd say the length of the track isn't too far off where MK is. On those, they typically put 10 or so karts out on the track at the same time and give you a number of laps. Thats not what they are going to do here, but to make the ride only one lap around the track, the cars would have to be significantly slower than a go cart. How realistic will they be able to make it if they slow it down to a 3-4 minute lap? So if the karts go faster, that means multiple laps, which really would cut hourly capacity. I'm assuming the carts will hold more people than 1, so that helps some. But they likely aren't going to send 10 carts out in a group either. They definitely aren't going to give you free control either where you can actually race and tear the karts up. So that means probably groups of 4-6 karts. If so, they probably can only have 2 or three groups on the track at a time before you'd be able to see the other groups. So even if you take the best scenario there of 3 groups of cars of 6 with 4 people in each and a 3 minute ride cycle, you get a theoretical rph of 1440. But that accounts nothing for load and unload. And I'm not even sure if the numbers I gave would fit on the track. Theres ways to do it where the load unload area is separate from the track, so you can stage multiple groups and not lose capacity there. But even at 1440, thats probably not what they want. Might mean they are looking at making the track longer so that they can get 4-6 groups on at a time. That would lead to a bigger loading area as well and a bigger building. IF thats the case, its about the same as starting over.

Maybe it feels a little cramped when going through show scenes under other showscenes. Or too tight narrow-ways. If they have to change the building height or width in any way, literally all the math has to be re-done. I could see that being a big slow down on progress.

Hopefully whatever it is gets worked out and the extra wait means better ride. :)

In situations like these, it often seems like the creative ways to fix a ride, end up resulting in a far better experience.

At the threshold of IAAPAs first day nonetheless..
I had the same thought, but not thinking it was "OMG--ANNOUNCEMENT AT IAAPA!!!", but more a case of with all the potential manufacturers/suppliers/vendors that could possibly be involved being here in Orlando for IAAPA, it's an ideal time to have a planning meeting.

My info came from a member of UO management.

Pretty sure we went through a fireplace or something on one side of Mr Toads Wild Ride.

:lol:

Going back to what we were discussing earlier today, the MK plans I'm aware of have two tracks, most of the time side by side, but go away from each other and converge in a few places. Not sure if there are multiple cars in a row, but as far as I've heard it's left and and right tracks, each with one car loaded at a time. Any other cars racing with you are Mario characters that come near your track on either side (but are not on your track, just beside it.)

The early concept art with Wario ahead of you was either misleading, blue sky, or a special effect rather than AA. I've wondered if AR could be a way to add more characters. But at very least there will be AA ones that sneak up beside your track time and again throughout your journey.

(And to note, maybe all this discussion would be better suited in the Nintendo thread? Not sure.)

I was thinking more F&F...
The patent actually describes projecting scenery and clouds moving fast to give the illusion the car is traveling quickly.

I like that the patent even says physical objects on conveyor belts or rotating arms can be moving quickly by as well to simulate speed. Super interesting ways to make the ride seem longer.

screen-shot-2017-04-07-at-94018-am-2.png
screen-shot-2017-04-07-at-94009-am-2.png

I like that the patent even says physical objects on conveyor belts or rotating arms can be moving quickly by as well to simulate speed. Super interesting ways to make the ride seem longer.

Should be obvious- but just to clarify- Longer in terms of distance and not time, correct?

Should be obvious- but just to clarify- Longer in terms of distance and not time, correct?
Yes distance.

I mean feel longer. Cars will likely always move at same speed, but will have stretches that feel like you're going even faster to make it seem like you're traveling further than you really area.