Star Wars: The Last Jedi | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Reactions: Mad Dog
Sorry to disrupt a good, old-fashioned internet pile-on, but the kid who created this petition has since said he regrets doing so. Admits to being high on painkillers, apologized for being so petulant, and has since taken to using the platform to promote real charities, like Force for Change.

So maybe let this dead horse be?

Star Wars: The Last Jedi petition creator backtracks: 'It was a bad idea' | The Independent

ok then lets try this other kid then...

Mark Hamill Rips His Role In 'Last Jedi': 'He's Not My Luke Skywalker'

Why is not a surprise to me that as soon as I posted the petition here, some people hurried to discredit the guy that posted it… Arrgg “typical USA”. The fact is that the petition DOES exist (because I saw it with my own eyes and not yours “relax, that’s a general statement”) and regardless of the guy who posted it, WE the people are supporting it. Therefore, for any rational person out there, this might give you hint that perhaps this movie introduced a big flaw in the overall saga that started on Episode I. BUT! Before anyone press the Reply Button to discredit me, as many would naturally do. I will not be accepting the expected “Polling Manipulation” excuse, because if we are going to talk about manipulation, then let’s talk about how Disney have been pushing down your throat how this movie is same or better as ESB “Dream on!” and how critics love the movie… probably because they don’t want to be excluded from the next Disney Premier, and on that note I won’t be surprised some people here are covering for the mouse so they don’t lose that special invitation to that new attraction preview. So you’re conveniently allowed to believe any of the “truths” man puts out there for you to pick from, but I will stand with facts. 1. There’s a Petition, and people are taking the time to support it. (54.800+ now) 2. Mark Hamill said “that could’ve been Jake Skywalker, that was not my Luke Skywalker” So obviously he is with the fans on this, and 3. I saw the movie, and as an original fan here, I can say this movie was the Order 66 of the saga… But I’m at peace now with it because it brought closure to the saga. I will always be grateful for RO, which it’s a great addition to my saga that ends on VI. So I am good, but I worry about the so called fans that are upset with TLJ, to be the 1st ones in line for “Episode” IX.

Regarding Luke’s storyline...

For those that have complained about it, have we just forgotten ANH completely? This isn’t the first time a Jedi-Master has shut himself off from the force. Obi-Wan did the same thing after training his apprentice went sour and Luke pulled him back in.

Obi-Wan’s Story in ANH and Luke’s in TLJ are virtually the exact same thing.

What bugs me about this is that Luke totally detached himself because of what happened to Kylo Ren which is understandable but finally decides to teach Rey. Lesson 1 she heads straight for the dark side but decides to continue on anyway?

I think Adam Diver nailed it, I think he's the best thing in this current trilogy. My concern comes from that doesn't appear to be any real threat from him. Rey managed to best him, shortly after learning her talents. What will she be like when she's fully trained?

Reactions: SeventyOne
Why is not a surprise to me that as soon as I posted the petition here, some people hurried to discredit the guy that posted it… Arrgg “typical USA”. The fact is that the petition DOES exist (because I saw it with my own eyes and not yours “relax, that’s a general statement”) and regardless of the guy who posted it, WE the people are supporting it. Therefore, for any rational person out there, this might give you hint that perhaps this movie introduced a big flaw in the overall saga that started on Episode I. BUT! Before anyone press the Reply Button to discredit me, as many would naturally do. I will not be accepting the expected “Polling Manipulation” excuse, because if we are going to talk about manipulation, then let’s talk about how Disney have been pushing down your throat how this movie is same or better as ESB “Dream on!” and how critics love the movie… probably because they don’t want to be excluded from the next Disney Premier, and on that note I won’t be surprised some people here are covering for the mouse so they don’t lose that special invitation to that new attraction preview. So you’re conveniently allowed to believe any of the “truths” man puts out there for you to pick from, but I will stand with facts. 1. There’s a Petition, and people are taking the time to support it. (54.800+ now) 2. Mark Hamill said “that could’ve been Jake Skywalker, that was not my Luke Skywalker” So obviously he is with the fans on this, and 3. I saw the movie, and as an original fan here, I can say this movie was the Order 66 of the saga… But I’m at peace now with it because it brought closure to the saga. I will always be grateful for RO, which it’s a great addition to my saga that ends on VI. So I am good, but I worry about the so called fans that are upset with TLJ, to be the 1st ones in line for “Episode” IX.
This post gave me cancer.

Reactions: Goldblum
So I saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty poor, mostly for reasons already discussed ad infinitum so I won’t repeat. But one thing I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere yet:

Why do they strive to make a new, more ‘progressive’ and ‘inclusive’ Star Wars, then waste half of Rey’s screen time making her follow an old moaning guy around?

Also,

Forbes just released that this had the worst daily box office scores of all the Star Wars films, meaning people aren't seeing it multiple times and maybe those "fanboys" whose opinion is suggested to be wrong were actually valid.

'Last Jedi' Grosses Are Collapsing With The Worst Daily Holds Of All 9 Star Wars Movies

Last-Jedi-Collapse-1.jpg

Reactions: Nick and jtsalien
Also,

Forbes just released that this had the worst daily box office scores of all the Star Wars films, meaning people aren't seeing it multiple times and maybe those "fanboys" whose opinion is suggested to be wrong were actually valid.

'Last Jedi' Grosses Are Collapsing With The Worst Daily Holds Of All 9 Star Wars Movies

Last-Jedi-Collapse-1.jpg
great article here are a few quotes that are quite interesting

I wanted to avoid cluttering up the chart, but I could have added all five of the other previous Star Wars live action movies and the image would remain the same: The Last Jedi is the rock-bottom, worst-holding movie of the entire 9-film franchise. Even Attack of the Clones looks like a champ in comparison.

In fact, The Last Jedi isn't even holding as well as Justice League did. On its sixth day the DC film retained 27 percent of its opening day audience, nearly double what the Star Wars picture has done.

Reactions: SeventyOne
great article here are a few quotes that are quite interesting

I wanted to avoid cluttering up the chart, but I could have added all five of the other previous Star Wars live action movies and the image would remain the same: The Last Jedi is the rock-bottom, worst-holding movie of the entire 9-film franchise. Even Attack of the Clones looks like a champ in comparison.

In fact, The Last Jedi isn't even holding as well as Justice League did. On its sixth day the DC film retained 27 percent of its opening day audience, nearly double what the Star Wars picture has done.
Justice League's sixth day was Thanksgiving. The Last Jedi will be taking full advantage of Christmas break over the next week or two. It'll be fine.

Reactions: jtsalien
If people choose to go see Star Wars...instead of the many other films choices they now have.
‘Jumanji’ & ‘Greatest Showman’ Trying to Make A Dent In A ‘Last Jedi’-Ruled Christmas Box Office | Deadline

Deadline has it on track for 83M this weekend, which is about 2.5x what Jumanji is doing and 3.25x what Pitch Perfect is doing. Granted, I don't think SW is going to hold as well as Deadline thinks it will, but the number will still be more than double its closest competition.

Also, this is the first time we've had a Star Wars movie for three consecutive years in a row, so we're in somewhat new territory for this franchise. It's not like with every other saga feature where there's been pent up demand for anywhere between three to sixteen years. Common sense would dictate that there was bound to be a little bit of a drop-off. It's not as much of an EVENT anymore.

Reactions: jtsalien and Nick
It’s pacing almost exactly equally to Jurassic World domestically and hasn’t opened in China yet.

Where TFA was $2B WW and Rogue was $1B WW, TLJ should be around $1.5B.

And to be honest, that shouldn't be something to be ashamed about.

TLJ, since the early tracking came out poised it to be less than TFA in just early numbers, and that TLJ is going to do just fine. Just if it doesn't reach 2B, it shouldn't be the end of the world.

Reactions: jtsalien and Nick
China isn't going to help the box office. China isn't into Star Wars ($100 Million TFA, Rogue One made around $65 million with huge and popular chinese star ...to compare 2017 the mummy made approx $100 million in China) hints the under performance of TFA and Rogue one in the Middle Kingdom compared to other blockbusters (Marvel, Transformers, Fast and Furious).

The top reliable foreign market for Star Wars is the UK and Germany . So as long as people in the US, UK, and Germany continue to see it over and over, it will be fine as the rate of people seeing it in Japan remains steady.

But I'm pretty sure Disney is majorly concerned about the lack of trending in the Asian market with Korea and China which are still in the top 10 leading film markets. (Its first week in Korea was already beat out by a domestic film, and the second week is about to push down to number three by two domestic films, TFA had tougher competition yet stayed number one). If they aren't doing well in those markets, it will massive effect their international numbers later on and international distribution deals.

(Top ten film markets in order: US, China, Japan, India, United Kingdom, South Korea, France, Germany, Australia, Mexico).

Last edited: