Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

I think the walk to Epcot from DHS is longer than CBBR to IOA but the walk from DHS to the Boardwalk is shorter. If that makes sense?
Yes, that seems right. But DHS all the way to Epcot would be a haul. And it doesn't seem to have the landscaping and shade of Universal paths.

Too, there are hotel rooms with balconies or decks that people are sitting on in the route from DHS to Epcot. It’s feels like you’re walking through someone’s backyard. Uncomfortable. The route from CBBR to the parks has to have a much more private feel.

Yesterday's northern Florida weather. ;)

Climate change could be offering huge merchandise potential for WDW. Gloves, scarfs, ice scrapers, the list goes on.

Everybody moaning about the lack of A/C in the cabins when they might be needing heaters in there too.

I mean if you didn't dress warm enough in there you are gonna freeze in the parks.
We saw the forecast and wore jeans, sweatshirts, and jackets if necessary.
WDW loved it, however. They put out racks of jackets and sweatshirts that people were eager to buy. Much like the poncho and umbrella frenzy during the humid rainy afternoons in summer, but much more profitable. $$

So what is the chance gondolas replace the monorails eventually considering Disney will abandon them at some point? Do the highest capacity ones have a decent throughput per hour that they would work even with multiple lines?

So what is the chance gondolas replace the monorails eventually considering Disney will abandon them at some point? Do the highest capacity ones have a decent throughput per hour that they would work even with multiple lines?
Well let's not get ahead of ourselves... it's still a rumor that Disney will close even just the Epcot line.

Should it happen though, will it get replaced by Gondolas? Who knows. I think a Phase 2 for the Skyliner is going to be very contingent on how successful the one being built is deemed. How efficient is it? Was it worth the cost?

Also, should Disney decide to give up on the monorail, a question becomes what do they do with the monorail track? It will cost a lot of money to demolish it and demolishing it would mean destroying hundreds of millions of dollars worth of usable infrastructure. Those monorail beams can be used for more than just monorails. PRT cars can be made to ride along monorail track, which is another potential option Disney would have.

For what it's worth, @Marni1971 says he hasn't heard anything about the Epcot line going out of service, but if this is new news, it may just be something he hasn't been informed of yet.

I don't think that's how it will work..

It will be travelling directly behind the Eiffel Tower although probably at a lower height.

Onto another thought since i've been drinking a lot of wine, a slight wind after Food and Wine could be a disaster on this.

The rooms starting to spin just thinking about it.

Disney gave up on forced perspective YEARS ago now!

Little itty bitty village on a cliff--GIANT TRAIN
expedition-everest-brett.jpg

Barrel tiles the size of windows
8080493549_f7ecdbf896.jpg