Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own

Yeah, while fun, Hulk doesn’t really standout like it should. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a must do, but, if you put aside the addition of air conditioning - something that should’ve been in place from the jump - the queue theming is inferior to the prior incarnation.

Yeah, while fun, Hulk doesn’t really standout like it should. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a must do, but, if you put aside the addition of air conditioning - something that should’ve been in place from the jump - the queue theming is inferior to the prior incarnation.

I’m not sure I’d say it’s inferior, but it’s not what it should have been. Allegedly there’s a reason for that (the project was apparently troubled), but who knows the real story

I’m not sure I’d say it’s inferior, but it’s not what it should have been. Allegedly there’s a reason for that (the project was apparently troubled), but who knows the real story

That doesn’t bode well for any future development in MSHI. Hulk at least had some form of entertainment with a story on the screens. Not it’s a science laboratory with nothing to look at and no phones to keep you entertained if you’re going solo.

As far as why no new attractions at MSHI? Because they have countless projects including a whole new resort to play with (which also means they don’t need the space)

This leads to one of the biggest points why it makes no sense to sell it back to Disney. Even if Dis offered them a Billion Dollars, when would they even have time to replace MSHI? Between the new park, Nintendo, Potter, and everything else rumored, it would be 2025 or later before they could even get it on the schedule to replace it. By then, who knows what shape the MCU will be in. By then, the original cast will all be gone. BP will be through a trilogy already. We'll probably be on Avengers 6 or 7 by then. Who knows if it will be worth what it would cost to get the rights back by then. And then, thats paying all that just to be able to put them in WDW.

A bit random, but I just thought of this and figured i'd post it before I forget - Doctor Strange has been utilized in WDW more than just the short lived M&G that was in November 2016. Ever since the "Disney Movie Magic" projection show started last year at DHS, Strange has appeared nightly in the show. The Guardians take up a portion of the show as well.

Where would Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers fall in all of this?

Ms. Marvel (Captain Marvel's first iteration) is on the same shard as Captain America so I would say she is a no go....My bad wasn't Ms Marvel but Miss America.

Edit: Also she was a former member of F4 and a part of Avengers family. So I would say that also works against her.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but one thing I've found interesting is these clause:

ANY OTHER THEME PARK IS LIMITED TO USING CHARACTERS NOT CURRENTLY BEING USED BY MCA AT THE TIME SUCH OTHER LICENSE IS GRANTED. [FOR PURPOSE OF THIS SUBSECTION AND SUBSECTION IV, A CHARACTER IS “BEING USED BY MCA” IF (X) IT OR ANOTHER CHARACTER OF THE SAME “FAMILY” (E.G., ANY MEMBER OF THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS OR VILLAINS ASSOCIATED WITH A HERO BEING USED) IS MORE THAN AN INCIDENTAL ELEMENT OF AN ATTRACTION, IS PRESENTED AS A COSTUMED CHARACTER, OR IS MORE THAN AN INCIDENTAL ELEMENT OF THE THEMING OF A RETAIL STORE OR FOOD FACILITY

Key term here is such other license is granted. That would mean Disney is limited to the characters who didn't fall under certain family groups after the purchase because prior to that, Marvel didn't have a deal with any other theme park.

However, based on that same clause alone Disney should not have been able to use Dr Strange...why do you ask? Because from 1972-1986, He, Hulk, Namor, and Silver Surfer where members of the Defenders. If you didn't know two of those are on multiple shards while one is just a solo shard. Dr Strange was not.

So while I likely am saying Captain Marvel can't be used, we have had examples of family members who were parts of families before the license been used by Disney for a limited time.

I know Disneyhead about a month and a half ago mentioned negotiations with Disney have been ongoing and I'm sure that was the conversation being had was regarding Guardians due to Mantis, Drax, and Gamora already being in families belonging to Universal.

Essentially for the Guardians ride that would only allow Starlord, Rocket and Groot to be featured.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marvel site has a wiki owned and edited by them of all the team families....a good 80% Universal has theme park ownership of due to those shards and character families having the same character in multiple (Namor, Hulk, Captain America, Ant-Man, Thor, Magneto, Thanos, and Wolverine really made it so Disney can't use much)

Category:Teams - Marvel Universe Wiki: The definitive online source for Marvel super hero bios.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but one thing I've found interesting is these clause:

Key term here is such other license is granted. That would mean Disney is limited to the characters who didn't fall under certain family groups after the purchase because prior to that, Marvel didn't have a deal with any other theme park.

However, based on that same clause alone Disney should not have been able to use Dr Strange...why do you ask? Because from 1972-1986, He, Hulk, Namor, and Silver Surfer where members of the Defenders. If you didn't know two of those are on multiple shards while one is just a solo shard. Dr Strange was not.

So while I likely am saying Captain Marvel can't be used, we have had examples of family members who were parts of families before the license been used by Disney for a limited time.

I know Disneyhead about a month and a half ago mentioned negotiations with Disney have been ongoing and I'm sure that was the conversation being had was regarding Guardians due to Mantis, Drax, and Gamora already being in families belonging to Universal.

Essentially for the Guardians ride that would only allow Starlord, Rocket and Groot to be featured.
The Dr. Strange M&G was pretty weird in how they pushed boundaries (specifically by featuring The Daily Bugle in the park), but it did run for a full month in promotion of the movie and didn't get shut down. So I assume that Disney and Universal have worked through anything if there is/was an issue regarding Strange.

However, Universal may have only worked it out with Disney that Strange can be just a M&G character or something. But weird again, we haven't seen Strange for a M&G since December 2016. Albeit his M&G was more of a show with pictures at the end. My point is, Strange may not be in the clear for a ride (yet), which is currently one of the rumors for Epcot.

Because the law. :lol:

Back in 1991, no one expected Marvel to be the hot property it was today, let alone Universal thinking Disney was just going to up and buy the whole company close to 20 years later.

It seems unfortunate to me that the owners of Universal Studios never bought up Marvel or at least distributed all their movies given what a central part of the MCU Iron Man has played and how they had him be a weapons manufacturer who changed to trying to use his technology to try do things he thought was better for society. It would have fit well for Universal building a theme park on the area that used to be a rocket testing area for Lockheed. I think they probably would have been willing to work with Universal to do things that would have fit well with such a themepark. I noticed that in the 2003 Hulk movie after the general military person says "Show him the way out" to the Hulk, Hulk then climbs up this tunnel out of this underground laboratory. This is similar to the rollercoaster at Islands of Adventure when the coaster is in the dark tunnel before it shoots out. After the Hulk leaves this tunnel he bursts through some covering that was on top of the exit of the tunnel and then goes jumping upwards and forward several times. This has some similarities to the what the Hulk coaster does at some points on the ride.

Ms. Marvel/Capt Marvel/Carol Danvers isn’t on any of the shards.

The character Monica Rambeau who has been referred to as Captain Marvel in the comics at some points in time seems to be on one of the shards. I don't know what title she was referred to in the contract with Universal or under what name she has been referred to in comics while wearing that costume if she has been referred to by only one name while wearing that particular costume on the shard.

Many characters have been referred to as being part of various teams for varying periods of times in certain comics. I think you would have to look at the contract between Marvel and Universal specifically to see if Stephen Strange was considered to be part of such a 'family' in the Universal contract.

Here's something apparently quoting from a lawsuit between 21st Century Fox and some business associated with Marvel Comics that mentions character licenses:
Particularly given the catch-all provision in Paragraph 6, the scope of the license to Fox is broad, encompassing any property contained in the "X-Men Universe" of comic books that Fox "may require" in order to create and produce its films, including the right to use Marvel's copyrights and trademarks in such property as Marvel would as owner of such rights. However, Exhibit A to the Agreement limits the characters which Fox may exploit to (i) certain "Initial Characters," comprising the principal and featured characters in the approved story, screenplay, or Marvel's publications, as well as 15 other "Core Characters" from the X-Men Universe of comics, and (ii) certain "Additional Characters," who are among the characters from a limited "X-Universe" of seven comic books, which Fox may add by written notice to Marvel.6 (Ex. A to 1993 Agreement ¶¶ 1, 3, 4.)

From : Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp. v. Marvel Enterprises, 155 F. Supp. 2d 1 (S.D.N.Y. 2001) :: Justia

"Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp. v. Marvel Enterprises, 155 F. Supp. 2d 1 (S.D.N.Y. 2001)

U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York - 155 F. Supp. 2d 1 (S.D.N.Y. 2001)
August 9, 2001

155 F. Supp. 2d 1 (2001)"

A director for a Marvel film has said that a group of aliens is allowed to appear in both Marvel Studios movies and Fox movies:
Some specific Skrulls are at Fox. But the Skrulls as a whole are co-owned.

From: Marvel/Fox Skrull Movie Rights Explained | Screen Rant

Last edited:
It seems unfortunate to me that the owners of Universal Studios never bought up Marvel or at least distributed all their movies given what a central part of the MCU Iron Man has played and how they had him be a weapons manufacturer who changed to trying to use his technology to try do things he thought was better for society. It would have fit well for Universal building a theme park on the area that used to be a rocket testing area for Lockheed. I think they probably would have been willing to work with Universal to do things that would have fit well with such a themepark. I noticed that in the 2003 Hulk movie after the general military person says "Show him the way out" to the Hulk, Hulk then climbs up this tunnel out of this underground laboratory. This is similar to the rollercoaster at Islands of Adventure when the coaster is in the dark tunnel before it shoots out. After the Hulk leaves this tunnel he bursts through some covering that was on top of the exit of the tunnel and then goes jumping upwards and forward several times. This has some similarities to the what the Hulk coaster does at some points on the ride.

The character Monica Rambeau who has been referred to as Captain Marvel in the comics at some points in time seems to be on one of the shards. I don't know what title she was referred to in the contract with Universal or under what name she has been referred to in comics while wearing that costume if she has been referred to by only one name while wearing that particular costume on the shard.

Many characters have been referred to as being part of various teams for varying periods of times in certain comics. I think you would have to look at the contract between Marvel and Universal specifically to see if Stephen Strange was considered to be part of such a 'family' in the Universal contract.

Here's something apparently quoting from a lawsuit between 21st Century Fox and some business associated with Marvel Comics that mentions character licenses:

From : Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp. v. Marvel Enterprises, 155 F. Supp. 2d 1 (S.D.N.Y. 2001) :: Justia

"Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp. v. Marvel Enterprises, 155 F. Supp. 2d 1 (S.D.N.Y. 2001)

U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York - 155 F. Supp. 2d 1 (S.D.N.Y. 2001)
August 9, 2001

155 F. Supp. 2d 1 (2001)"

A director for a Marvel film has said that a group of aliens is allowed to appear in both Marvel Studios movies and Fox movies:

From: Marvel/Fox Skrull Movie Rights Explained | Screen Rant
We even had dueling Quicksilvers between Fox and MCU (Although one didn't last long...)