Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

They wanted it by 2020. By promising that date they stunted themselves with the smallest land. Hollywood and Orlando have gone through numerous revisions and relocations since Japan started construction.

Good news for us I guess. If it were me I might have looked at another big IP that was 'ready to go' to fill the gap - like Diagon Alley.

Aiming for the olympics seems fairly pointless too as evidence seems to suggest that visitor numbers at theme parks go down during Olympic events, see below for the 2012 performance in London:

The negative impact of the London Olympics on the attendance levels of several major English parks. Indeed, tourists and local visitors have focused on sports events rather than on the attractions. Alton Towers (9th) and Thorpe Park (11th) saw their attendance drop by 9.4 and 10% despite significant investments

Aiming for the olympics seems fairly pointless too as evidence seems to suggest that visitor numbers at theme parks go down during Olympic events, see below for the 2012 performance in London

That's just London though. Remember, Comcast owns both the TV rights for the Olympics as well as just recently purchased the remaining shares of Universal Japan. You better believe they're going to market the living crap out of the land on NBC and every channel that an Olympic event is held on.

That's just London though. Remember, Comcast owns both the TV rights for the Olympics as well as just recently purchased the remaining shares of Universal Japan. You better believe they're going to market the living crap out of the land on NBC and every channel that an Olympic event is held on.

And talk about opportunity too! Comcast might reap in more crowds to Osaka than the guests to Tokyo Disney.

Osaka is a 3-4 hour train ride and a 6+ hour bus ride from Tokyo. While it gets people a great relief from Tokyo and the crowds, it faces the same distance problem that Pyeongchang did for increasing Seoul tourism.

It won't be an upfront benefit but it will be a long term because there is a belief Tokyo plans to step it up next level to increase tourism to Japan already so with so many thing advertise travel to Japan will increase with USJ being a major stop for those who decide to travel the entire country.

Osaka is a 3-4 hour train ride and a 6+ hour bus ride from Tokyo. While it gets people a great relief from Tokyo and the crowds, it faces the same distance problem that Pyeongchang did for increasing Seoul tourism.

It won't be an upfront benefit but it will be a long term because there is a belief Tokyo plans to step it up next level to increase tourism to Japan already so with so many thing advertise travel to Japan will increase with USJ being a major stop for those who decide to travel the entire country.

The goal isn't to drive people visiting the Olympics to Universal Japan but to drive tourism over the long term, so Universal's distance from the games and Tokyo is somewhat irrelevant (thought I do see what you're saying). They want to promote the living heck out of a Universal property and that's generally the bottom line.

If this land only has Mario and maybe one other small ride at opening I can see capacity being a HUGE problem.

This is USJ so I'm sure there will be ticketed entry like WWHP but just look at the lines for high capacity rides like Flying Dinosaur and Forbidden Journey.

Last edited:
I wonder how they are gonna shield/screen this from within WWOHP? Its at least 2 stories so even with the trees at the back of black lake you are gonna see the structure.

From the looks of it the MK building is even bigger than Forbidden Journey.

I wonder how they are gonna shield/screen this from within WWOHP? Its at least 2 stories so even with the trees at the back of black lake you are gonna see the structure.

From the looks of it the MK building is even bigger than Forbidden Journey.
If it’s anything like the canceled Orlando KidZone plans, the outside was non-descript concrete walls with trees in front of them. All of the colorful 8-bit fun is hidden inside.

20180924123725.jpg