Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 200 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
ST the E was amazing. But it was also paid per person, and small groups. And really not repeatable.

My point is I've been waiting on Disney and Universal to realize preshows can be more than something people just run to the next door and wait for it to open. Though the dynamics are different at that volume they can adapt and expand upon the concept.

"Ground-breaking" is entirely a subjective phrase. Is a ride only ground-breaking if it truly debuts some new technology? Or could it also be ground-breaking for the way it combines existing technology in unexpected and impressive ways?

I don't necessarily believe ROTR will be "ground-breaking," but I do believe - based on what we've heard about it so far - that it will represent Disney throwing every trick in their book at us in a way they haven't done in Florida in a long, long time.

Great point. Ground breaking is beyond technology. Very literally the definition is it redefines and replaces the known foundation of attractions.

The last ground breaking ride was called Flight of Passage. I guess you missed it.

Nothing groundbreaking about it. Just moved you closer to the screen, and changed seat movement directions. Still a large screen with moving seats. BTTF was the groundbreaker there.

My list would be much shorter than yours if we’re talking Orlando only.
I only think 3- Splash, Spider, ToT.
My criteria is simple. The ride has to redefine the genre.
Each one turned flumes, dark rides and drop towers as we knew them, completely on their heads.

Seriously, how could you miss ToT? :)

My guess is that the HP coaster will also be on that list by turning what we know about a roller coaster completely on it’s head. Seven Dwarves potentially could have been this, but it was cut down immensely.

As for ROTR, we’ll have to ride it first. But honestly, if I get off of it thinking the same thing as FoP, then that’s fine in my book. FoP wasn’t “groundbreaking” to me, but it was executed better than any sim ever. Even the mists of water were flawless (actual mists and not droplets).
If I get off ROTR thinking it’s the best dark ride I’ve ever been on and easily wins that crown from Spider-Man or Forbidden Journey, then I leave 100% fulfilled.

Yeah, I'll agree with ToT too. Not sure how you can't consider FJ. You're riding on robot arms. That ride was ground destroying, even if the motion sync wasn't the greatest for the video portions.

And I almost put the Hp coaster down. But there are lots of heavily themed coasters, if anything, Mummy would be the groundbreaker there. But the new one could very well set a new standard. Especially night rides.

Reactions: Frogki
Starting to get psyched for the new land, now that it's closer to the finish line. Just watched Rogue and now watching A New Hope on TNT. I was fortunate to see Star Wars (New Hope) at the theater on it's opening week. That certainly was an event at that time in the 70's. ....These two movies work well together, especially viewing them back to back.

Mickey and Minnie could be the huge surprise. It's a massive building, and supposedly high tech not seen in a ride before.
I certainly think it will surprise many.

Most are over-looking it since it's opening mere months before Galaxy's Edge, but this ride will be a legitimate E unto it's own and depending on your taste, possibly better than Smugglers Run. I've heard the ride time will be around 6-7 mins for Runaway Railway, too.

I certainly think it will surprise many.

Most are over-looking it since it's opening mere months before Galaxy's Edge, but this ride will be a legitimate E unto it's own and depending on your taste, possibly better than Smugglers Run. I've heard the ride time will be around 6-7 mins for Runaway Railway, too.

I will be stunned if Disney opens two 7 minute long dark rides in the same park, the same year.

Sorry, that just can't be possible.

It seems concrete beach is making the exclusive beers for Galaxy Edge. Considering it’s a Florida brewery, i wonder if they will ship out to California, or if they will brew the same recipe at another location/brewery in California. Neither beers sound great to me. I realize they need to make beers for “everyone”, but would It kill them to make a hoppy beer for once?

Try Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Ale Months Ahead of the Land’s Opening at Disney Parks - WDW News Today

What a damn shame. Considering California is the craft beer capital of America, it would make too much sense for DL GE to get their beer from a CA brewery instead of a nasty Florida one.

Last edited:
I will be stunned if Disney opens two 7 minute long dark rides in the same park, the same year.

Sorry, that just can't be possible.

I'd say its hugely possible, in a park that has always been a little lacklustre (imo) they aren changing the standard in the park and are creating highly immersive lands with GA and TS, with rides you spend much longer to 'experience'.

Also surely the great movie ride of a ridiculous 20 minutes has to be replaced with something longer than minutes :lol:

Reactions: natespf
Lookin' at FOP with their 2-3 hour wait times a solid year after opening...Mmmmmmm

A park with a total of 9 rides when all is said and done..Mmmmmmmm

DL will be MUCH better. For ONE reason: no FP+.

Go on a Wednesday during school, and likely with APs blocked the first few months. No way will it be as bad as WDW.

Case in Point: Toy Story Mania. While WDWs was a FP+ nightmare for years, it was a 15 minute wait at DL. Similar with Soarin.

I can't see DL being close to the nightmare that will be SWGE at Hollywood Studios. For years, likely. Of course, I'm talking weekdays here.

Go on a Wednesday during school, and likely with APs blocked the first few months. No way will it be as bad as WDW.

Case in Point: Toy Story Mania. While WDWs was a FP+ nightmare for years, it was a 15 minute wait at DL. Similar with Soarin.

I can't see DL being close to the nightmare that will be SWGE at Hollywood Studios. For years, likely. Of course, I'm talking weekdays here.
i dont know if this matters but DL version is opening in late june which is a busy time of year and DHS is opening october ish not as busy
i still feel DL opening first will help DHS to what extent who knows but i also understand and agree with your point

Didn’t DL just recently introduce paid FastPasses you can book ahead of time? Max Pass I think it’s called?

Lookin' at FOP with their 2-3 hour wait times a solid year after opening...Mmmmmmm

A park with a total of 9 rides when all is said and done..Mmmmmmmm
My comment was in relation to those first few grand opening days. Like the lines wrapped around CityWalk for the grand opening of Hogsmeade. Since DL will be first, I expect them to get the brunt of that.

Both parks’ Star Wars lands will probably still be unbearable for a few years. But I imagine DL’s grand opening will be crazier than Orlando’s.

Reactions: SOCAL110
It will be interesting what ends up where in the fastpass plus tiers. It's probable that if you visit DHS, you'll only get one choice between Smugglers, Resistance, M&M, and Slinky. And with the demand you might be lucky to get one of them. Three or four separate trips to get on the rides via a FP even if you stay onsite.