Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 202 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anecdotal evidence of talking to some people that SWGE news on blogs and websites is trafficking way higher than other content. So take that for what it's worth.
Yea. If last week’s news media stories based on my podcast has taught me anything, it’s that the news outlets really like reporting anything related to Galaxys Edge because it’s easy traffic. EVERYONE in the world knows about this expansion. It could get ugly at DL this summer.

Can’t wait to watch from the comfort of my home. :popcorn:

Great choice. I really enjoyed Pop Century and they’re pretty much the same hotel.

You get all the Disney benefits plus you’ll have easy access to the Skyliner and you’re on the edge of the Disney bubble.

How long you going for?
6 nights at Disney, 4 nights at Universal. Tim Tracker's video sold me on the resort. The 4 IP theming is heavy, but tasteful. Really good landscaping, and that's always important to me. I like and enjoy all 4 properties (Little Mermaid, Cars, Lion King, Nemo). A pure Disney look, and I like that. And the gondolas should help movement, even though I'll still have my car when I want to use it. The only downside is that the resort will be kid heavy, but Tracker did say it's much quieter than Pop Century. Rooms are small, but just about all Disney rooms are on the smallish side, regardless of the level. Universal kind of ruined me with their more spacious rooms, easy walking distance, and more relaxing atmosphere. But when I'm at Disney I spend a longer day in the parks (8 to 12 hours)since the tickets are expensive. When I'm at Universal, I spend more time relaxing at the resorts and their pools, and CitiWalk,and only go to the parks 4, 5, or 6 hours day. The Universal AP is inexpensive so I don't have to try to get my money's worth at Universal. I do Universal slow paced and relax.Disney ends up being more of a fast paced vacation, with leisure/relaxation being secondary. Just the nature of the beast. ..........and if GESWL doesn't open by then, I'll take a few days of my May 2020 vacation and stay at Disney. ...I'm pleased with the plan, and we're both excited. The Christmas stuff was a big input. We love all things Christmas.....and, if it wasn't for the Potter coaster running late, I probably would have skipped Universal and done all 10 nights at Disney, since Universal is always later starting their Christmas activities.

Last edited:
I really like Star Tours. It's a fun ride, still feels fresh to me, and I love the randomization. And the interior queue areas are still great too.
How many of the simulators are random? I rode just the other day and got the whole SW8 version (Kylo, Finn, BB-8, Poe/Crait, Batuu).

DEMS FIGHTIN WORDS

Lol I should've started the post with a TRIGGER WARNING.

I don't think it's controversial to say that each coast should get local beer respective to their SWL. California has AMAZING craft beer so I don't understand why we have to get imported brew.

The triggering part was when I said a "nasty Florida one," but I was just referring to what this poster said.

FBC makes some pretty bad beer outside of the harry potter ones which are enjoyable enough.

How many of the simulators are random? I rode just the other day and got the whole SW8 version (Kylo, Finn, BB-8, Poe/Crait, Batuu).
I looked into that actually. They are all random, however, if the first scene you get is from the new trilogy, then you will automatically get only the new trilogy ones the whole way through, for continuity's sake.

There is not any designated new trilogy bays, which was my first thought.

This way you never get new trilogy mixed with old prequel clips.

I've seen the new trilogy ones a lot, so I'm always relieved when I see Darth Vader at the start now. That means I have a lot of random options ahead.

No, it means you can show up to DL any weekday during school, and be at the park at opening, run back, and get on one of the SW rides with a short wait, while getting a FP for the other via MaxxPass in the queue.

That will be impossible at WDW.
If you think simply having kids in school will keep adult Star Wars fans from flooding the park I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.

My comment was in relation to those first few grand opening days. Like the lines wrapped around CityWalk for the grand opening of Hogsmeade. Since DL will be first, I expect them to get the brunt of that.

Both parks’ Star Wars lands will probably still be unbearable for a few years. But I imagine DL’s grand opening will be crazier than Orlando’s.

Yea it's going to be bananas.

For that reason I'm staying away from DL until 2020.

When are you planning to visit SWL? I would think you'll be there opening weekend/day for the sake of your theme park podcast.

Yea it's going to be bananas.

For that reason I'm staying away from DL until 2020.

When are you planning to visit SWL? I would think you'll be there opening weekend/day for the sake of your theme park podcast.
With my wedding and honeymoon recently we are too broke for travel this summer. But I will be there opening day (or whatever preview I can weasel my way into) at the Florida version.

With my wedding and honeymoon recently we are too broke for travel this summer. But I will be there opening day (or whatever preview I can weasel my way into) at the Florida version.

Congrats on your wedding!

The gentleman I heard on your podcast must have been your husband.

You're a brave soul for going on opening day because I think it's going to be a circus, even in FL. It's good for your podcast though.

Congrats on your wedding!

The gentleman I heard on your podcast must have been your husband.

You're a brave soul for going on opening day because I think it's going to be a circus, even in FL. It's good for your podcast though.
Haha no Ian’s a friend and co-host. My wife’s name is Jenn.

And we’re hoping for some sort of DVC preview, or media event, or else I’ll just start waiting out front a few days before in a tent like for Black Friday sales.

Yea. If last week’s news media stories based on my podcast has taught me anything, it’s that the news outlets really like reporting anything related to Galaxys Edge because it’s easy traffic. EVERYONE in the world knows about this expansion. It could get ugly at DL this summer.

Can’t wait to watch from the comfort of my home. :popcorn:
Oh man, can’t wait! Signature pass in hand and ready to brave the crowds.

6 nights at Disney, 4 nights at Universal. Tim Tracker's video sold me on the resort. The 4 IP theming is heavy, but tasteful. Really good landscaping, and that's always important to me. I like and enjoy all 4 properties (Little Mermaid, Cars, Lion King, Nemo). A pure Disney look, and I like that. And the gondolas should help movement, even though I'll still have my car when I want to use it. The only downside is that the resort will be kid heavy, but Tracker did say it's much quieter than Pop Century. Rooms are small, but just about all Disney rooms are on the smallish side, regardless of the level. Universal kind of ruined me with their more spacious rooms, easy walking distance, and more relaxing atmosphere. But when I'm at Disney I spend a longer day in the parks (8 to 12 hours)since the tickets are expensive. When I'm at Universal, I spend more time relaxing at the resorts and their pools, and CitiWalk,and only go to the parks 4, 5, or 6 hours day. The Universal AP is inexpensive so I don't have to try to get my money's worth at Universal. I do Universal slow paced and relax.Disney ends up being more of a fast paced vacation, with leisure/relaxation being secondary. Just the nature of the beast. ..........and if GESWL doesn't open by then, I'll take a few days of my May 2020 vacation and stay at Disney. ...I'm pleased with the plan, and we're both excited. The Christmas stuff was a big input. We love all things Christmas.....and, if it wasn't for the Potter coaster running late, I probably would have skipped Universal and done all 10 nights at Disney, since Universal is always later starting their Christmas activities.

Sounds like a great itinerary :thumbsup: This also shows the effect of Disney having 4 parks over Universal's 2 and the length of stay required for the full experience. Express Pass does play a huge roll as well in how you can enjoy the parks.

There was quite a few kids at Pop Century as expected but Disney provided a lot of entertainment which kept the kids busy and out the adults way (I don't mean to sound like a grumpy old man saying that but it was nice and you could tell the parents were enjoying the peace and quiet).

I'll be interested to see a trip report from this, more specifically if you think that doing Disney now will require staying on site or not. :toast:

Sounds like a great itinerary :thumbsup: This also shows the effect of Disney having 4 parks over Universal's 2 and the length of stay required for the full experience. Express Pass does play a huge roll as well in how you can enjoy the parks.

There was quite a few kids at Pop Century as expected but Disney provided a lot of entertainment which kept the kids busy and out the adults way (I don't mean to sound like a grumpy old man saying that but it was nice and you could tell the parents were enjoying the peace and quiet).

I'll be interested to see a trip report from this, more specifically if you think that doing Disney now will require staying on site or not. :toast:
I'm only staying on site due to the new attractions and the need for a 60 day fastpass window. Otherwise I would do as I did the last few years, namely stay on site at Universal, where the hotel resorts are nicer and less expensive, and do a day trip to Disney. The drive is generally just an easy apx. 15 minutes with the I4 entrance conveniently next to CBBR/Sapphire,/Aventura/RP. Easy choice. I can book Portofino in the non peak season for the same price I'd pay for Caribbean Beach, Coronado, Port Orleans. No comparison there, except Disney way way overcharges for vastly inferior accommodations.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkiBum
Haven’t said this yet but I’ll likely end up seeing both versions this year. We had fun at the last D23 and are going again this year and will try to get into Star Wars Land (obviously).

May the force be with me.

Forgot about D23. They shoUld have a SWGE event. Although it would cost a fortune, and would take you 2 hours just to walk through the line to get in.

But, Hondo Ohnoaka! He's huge amongst the hardcore literary canon book readers. They number in the hundreds of thousands! They'll have tears in their eyes finally seeing the briefly mentioned Black Spire Outpost in real life.

The rest of us will go, "cool rock work for this generic spaceport never used in the movies", where are the rides? Where are Luke, and Leia? Oh, not here, that blows... AWESOME, there's the Falcon, can I get a photo op with Han? No? Oh, ummm. Oh, cool, Kylo Ren. Sure wish there was a Vader AA,, that would be a dream come true. Oh well, lets go to the Cantina for a drink. Wait, it's a two hour wait to get in, and it's not THE Cantina? Oh, hey, Matterhorn..."

:sleep:

Our big trip is Europe but my Son, who has recently been diagnosed with ITP and battling low platelets turns 16 this Oct. The plan has always been Universal Hollywood with the VIP tour for HHN. Now, with this opening up, I want to get in Galaxy Edge. We'll hit LA in Mid Week October. I hope the lines aren'tinsanely stupid long then. We already expect 2 to 3 hrs per attraction and that is with us trying to stay on resort for the first and second night. I really don't know what to expect.

Amazingly enough, We will have gone to Disneyland Paris before any of us have ever gone to Disneyland. We have been to Florida a half dozen times for DisneyWorld.

Reactions: MrBlonde and soma27