Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 234 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No no no.. :lol:

I'm saying is instead of waiting for everything to finish, they said screw it. I believe the DL date was supposed to be around June so that's not much of a jump, but I do know DHS was supposed to be late fall. Now we're getting it late Summer.
Yea, that's why I feel like part of this was a strategic move reallocating resources to other sections of the land and away from Rise to get the rest done sooner — in addition to issues with the Rise ride system.

In all fairness...the original estimate most of you were throwing around was December.
If RoTR opens by year end, it wont really be remembered as some “great delay” , we are only talking 3 months.

New Fantasyland opened way before the dwarfs coaster did.,.no?

Reactions: rastuso
In all fairness...the original estimate most of you were throwing around was December.
If RoTR opens by year end, it wont really be remembered as some “great delay” , we are only talking 3 months.

It did, but Mine Train was a late add to the expansion, so circumstances were a bit different there.

With that in mind, FoP wasn’t really ready for prime time when Pandora opened either. For better or worse, they’re definitely trying to avoid a repeat of that scenario, be it through no Fastpass, delayed opening, and so on.

It actually opened in three phases...They opened the two Dumbos and part of the circus area first (around March I believe), unscheduled and unannounced......then they opened the rest of the Circus area where the tents are, and then Beauty Beast & Mermaid area, a bit earlier than expected (early Fall softs)....and finally 7 Dwarfs way down the time line....so , a bunch of phases with NFL

Last edited:

It’s a weird one. If RotR opens 3 months after the land opens but the land opens 3 months early, was it really delayed?

I am seeing postings on other forums of some pretty catastrophic failings of the ride and they aren’t entirely sure why/how to fix yet.

I also believe I read Disneyland’s Splash was delayed by a year while they rebuilt the entire flume and logs. It really isn’t uncommon for new attractions to experience delays... it’s just not normally tied into a major expansion.

I think if the ride is as innovative as they say, and it’s truly having catastrophic challenges. It is best to finish the rest and open it, while they figure out how to make their soon to be premiere ride work.

It’s a weird one. If RotR opens 3 months after the land opens but the land opens 3 months early, was it really delayed?
Nope. But if that happens, then the “phased opening” is a strategy that can be cynically judged.

It’s just odd, to me. The whole thing. I feel like “phased openings” within six months is just an obvious cash-grab. In this case, though, a gap of longer than six months indicates a major issue with their signature ride. Depending on your viewpoint, it’s either a win-win or a lose-lose.

Nope. But if that happens, then the “phased opening” is a strategy that can be cynically judged.

It’s just odd, to me. The whole thing. I feel like “phased openings” within six months is just an obvious cash-grab. In this case, though, a gap of longer than six months indicates a major issue with their signature ride. Depending on your viewpoint, it’s either a win-win or a lose-lose.

My irritation with the whole thing is that I always go on holiday in September and I've based part of my trip around going to DL for Star Wars. With only half the land being opened, I just don't see the point in going. For DHS, it's a huge step forward having part of the land opening early but with DL, it feels like a delay.

Like you said, it also feels like a cash grab. Why sell one ticket when you can sell two? This isn't going to stop the crowds. The hardcore are going to the opening regardless and returning back for RotR opening.

Reactions: HPFred

I feel that's the closing we can compare this, too - but the land was phased due to A. The changes from original plans to what we got. B. They didn't want to limit capacity by shutting off all of Fantasyland.

My irritation with the whole thing is that I always go on holiday in September and I've based part of my trip around going to DL for Star Wars. With only half the land being opened, I just don't see the point in going. For DHS, it's a huge step forward having part of the land opening early but with DL, it feels like a delay.

Like you said, it also feels like a cash grab. Why sell one ticket when you can sell two? This isn't going to stop the crowds. The hardcore are going to the opening regardless and returning back for RotR opening.
You may want to reconsider and visit Orlando instead. Do a split stay between Universal & Disney on site. You can then see Hagrid's Motor Bikes, GESWL, and perhaps Mickey & Minnie if it opens then.

It actually opened in three phases...They opened the two Dumbos and part of the circus area first (around March I believe), unscheduled and unannounced......then they opened the rest of the Circus area where the tents are, and then Beauty Beast & Mermaid area, a bit earlier than expected (early Fall softs)....and finally 7 Dwarfs way down the time line....so , a bunch of phases with NFL
Had to have mermaid open by mickey's b-day to show off the hidden mickey in the queue.
Maybe a VIP tour for Star Wars for you? Way to buy FP's.

You may want to reconsider and visit Orlando instead. Do a split stay between Universal & Disney on site. You can then see Hagrid's Motor Bikes, GESWL, and perhaps Mickey & Minnie if it opens then.

If RotR isn't open by September, my plan B is Mexico and probably save some money. My concern with going to Orlando is that it's going to be early September and it's going to be mobbed with people showing up for GE.

I'm still planning on getting an AP for Universal and doing 3 trips starting this time next year. Have a quiet trip next April and enjoy all the new additions and if I drag it out long enough, I can hopefully enjoy some of the Disney 50th fun in 2021.

Then I guess, I better start a family.

@Marni1971 posted some comments on Magic today. Since he's the premier, by far, Disney Insider, I'm going to run his 3 comments together in bold print. .In response to ROR issues posted by posters......Marni; "Not a lot. Minor ride system bugs. ....Both versions are working on it. It's normal test and adjust. It has no bearing on the split ride opening decisions.....It's a common problem. I'd expect it to be solved before the summer.".......and answering another question, he insinuates it (double opening with ROR) may be tied to another media event................. ....With that last comment, I'm thinking Brian G. may be onto something with his thoughts on the matter....

Last edited:
Marni posted some comments on Magic today. Since he's the premier, by far, Disney Insider, I'm going to run his 3 comments together in bold print. .In response to R&R issues posted by posters......Marni; "Not a lot. Minor ride system bugs. ....Both versions are working on it. It's normal test and adjust. It has no bearing on the split ride opening decisions.....It's a common problem. I'd expect it to be solved before the summer.".......and answering another question, he insinuates it may be tied to another media event.................With that last comment, I'm thinking Brian G. may be onto something with his thoughts on the matter.
So... They're going to open it as part of the Episode 9 premier/marketing blitz.

With that last comment, I'm thinking Brian G. may be onto something with his thoughts on the matter.

giphy.gif