Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Project for Dinoland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re there. But they’re awful.
Come on Alicia even though their IPs might not be as memorable as Disney they still have a fanbase. I like the Ice Age movies for the most part but I do agree about it being a stretch in AK.

I know that. But Ice Age and Rio are billion dollar IPs. I’d bet they introduce a line of merch first and if they prove to sell well they may move forward with other ideas.
Disney should be able to get viewership numbers from streaming services. Disney could get a ton of data if they hit Disney+ (but that seems unlikely). Those numbers might be able to justify something bigger.

Otherwise, a merch line sounds smart.

Come on Alicia even though their IPs might not be as memorable as Disney they still have a fanbase. I like the Ice Age movies for the most part but I do agree about it being a stretch in AK.
They’re okay for entertainment. I especially like Rio, but compared to Disney or DreamWorks I just don’t feel like they’ll hold up as well over time.

No Disney animated film has had 5 features in theaters, yet Ice Age has. I feel the IP is below Disney’s high standards. And the idea of utilizing an IP just cause you now own it is a dangerous way to run a business. I don’t think it deserves it. But these are just my opinions.

Plus, let’s talk about how Animal Kingdom’s DinoLand offers a fairly educational look at dinosaurs, albeit they’re strangley obsessed with their extinction but still, educational nonetheless.

Ice Age introduced dinosaurs in a sequel, that would have wooly mammonths and T-rex’s Living together. In an age long after the extinction of the dinosaurs. It’s right up there with seeing cavemen and dinosaurs together in popular media for me on my pet peeve meter.

And speaking of educational, Scrat encountered aliens in the last Ice Age film. So yea, there’s that.

They worked hard to jam education into Pandora, and they pulled it off, barely. Learning about how a keystone species can predict an entire habitats decline was a unique way to tackle it, but it works.

Not sure how you make an Ice Age ride make sense in Animal Kingdom without retconning half the stuff from the film series.

A hypothetical Ice Age retheme would be a terrible idea, but Dino Land (and pretty much every bit of popular dinosaur media) is already incredibly anachronistic. Dinosaurs were around for hundreds of millions of years, and most of the famous dinosaurs were from vastly different times and places. To put things in perspective, more time passed between when Stegosaurus and T. rex lived than between when T. rex lived and now.

Edit:
Also, judging by their hybrid Carnotaurus/Tyrannosaurus antagonist (the skeletal mount in the queue is actually a hybrid of the two's fossils), I'm not sure they were ever all that focused on education.

Last edited:
No Disney animated film has had 5 features in theaters, yet Ice Age has. I feel the IP is below Disney’s high standards. And the idea of utilizing an IP just cause you now own it is a dangerous way to run a business. I don’t think it deserves it. But these are just my opinions.

I'll cosign these opinions.

If you look at ICE AGE's box office trajectory, as well as its critical trajectory, it has no real business being in a Disney theme park before, I don't know, any number of in-house Disney properties that have yet to receive theme park representation of any worth.

A hypothetical Ice Age retheme would be a terrible idea, but Dino Land (and pretty much every bit of popular dinosaur media) is already incredibly anachronistic. Dinosaurs were around for hundreds of millions of years, and most of the famous dinosaurs were from vastly different times and places. To put things in perspective, more time passed between when Stegosaurus and T. rex lived than between when T. rex lived and now.
True, it definitely bugs me that many of the dinosaurs on the Animal Kingdom ride existed during late Jurassic/early Cretaceous and not the very late Cretaceous when the theorized asteroid would’ve struck.

At least in Jurassic Park they were cloned by humans so the co-mingling of dinos from different time periods is irrelevant.

In the terms of Blue Sky, me thinks that Disney is going to "try" to restructure them, and to get a reboot of Ice Age on track. If successful, and doing what it wants to do with the profit, then maybe something comes to Disneys parks..but as of now, I just can't see it.

It probably is a Jim Hill being Jim, but I would think Disney isn't gonna immediately close the company.

What I'm interested of, when it comes to Disney & Blue Sky (as I can speak of in another thread) is Peanuts.

In the terms of Blue Sky, me thinks that Disney is going to "try" to restructure them, and to get a reboot of Ice Age on track. If successful, and doing what it wants to do with the profit, then maybe something comes to Disneys parks..but as of now, I just can't see it.

It probably is a Jim Hill being Jim, but I would think Disney isn't gonna immediately sell the company.

What I'm interested of, when it comes to Disney & Blue Sky (as I can speak of in another thread) is Peanuts.
I liked the Peanuts movie, but aren’t the theme park rights already split all over the place? Like at Knotts for example?

I liked the Peanuts movie, but aren’t the theme park rights already split all over the place? Like at Knotts for example?

Cedar Fair and Universal (Japan) are in that state, but I don't think they may be casked away in the sake of animation.

But as I somewhat alluded towards..this isn't the best of threads for that discussion.

What I wonder, is Rio. Whether DAK or Epcot World Showcase; if brought back right in animation, and with a fun Attraction to boot; it could strike a nice mix between educational and thrilling.

Super odd. Granted, Dinand does all but die at dark.
Probably lack of riders at those times. Just my experience is I usually hit Dinosaur & Everest first thing at the park opening. Generally there's less than a dozen people in the line early for Dinosaur.

That makes sense. My plan last visit was Pandora first thing, then head to Dinosaur and travel around the park. Head to Sanaa for lunch and return for the sun setting in Pandora.

That makes sense. My plan last visit was Pandora first thing, then head to Dinosaur and travel around the park. Head to Sanaa for lunch and return for the sun setting in Pandora.
Yeah, and that was before Pandora opened and drained off most of the morning guests. It's probably even more dead now at the beginning and end of the day. With WDW cutting staff at every opportunity, I would ascertain this is the scenario. Just a guess though. I'm certainly not a Disney insider.

Status
Not open for further replies.