Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Shrek 4-D Orlando

So y'all should buy me more red wine because I'm in a mood.

So lets do story time kids. A version of Secret Life of Pets for the lower lot at USH was developed over the years by Orland's UC group. The leaked versions of the attraction were all from them: trackless AA focus, revamped mixed media, then the "hey lets do VR on a trackless" versions was all Orlando UC. After these versions they were scrapped and the new West Coast UC took over the project and made up the current plans for JW and SLoP. I think that's why there's a huge holding pattern on the rides at UOR and we'll know more in a year. I think Orlando parks and UC are being protective and West Coast wants to prove their worth. It's also why @Andy is being a cheerleader for USH more than normal in regards to attractions and such. It's a very interesting time for the Universal parks and I hope the best attractions, no matter who designs them, comes out.

tl;dr

SLoP at USH and UOR initial plans were killed. Then it turned into DreamWorks at Shrek and that was chucked after the projection media rejection from the GP. Now it sounds like it's going to be either a new attraction or they're waiting for feedback on West Coast's UC SLoP.
West Coast is very new, they have something to prove. Orlando UC (these are all my terms btw) is more media based recently with Coup.

Fascinating.

Sounds like some healthy competition inside Creative, which I don't think is a bad thing... provided rivalries don't crystallize and prevent (presumably) good attractions from being built in a park that needs them (USF).

Put DreamWorks theater on the Production Central side of Shrek, in theater 1. Then put Sing On Tour in Hollywood in theater 2. Both dump out into the same gift shop with split merchandise.

Not knowing the terminology of the theaters, what occupies those two right now? Shrek and T2?

Build a new show building for SLOP behind the NYC Library facade/ stage 33

Why not this? Haven’t even thought of it until you said it, but that plot of land is a perfect size and New York is clearly the better fit vs Production Central.

Why not this? Haven’t even thought of it until you said it, but that plot of land is a perfect size and New York is clearly the better fit vs Production Central.
Events “owns” 33, and it’s in near constant use. Losing it for a ride would eliminate a revenue source and require a new (backstage, but readily accessible) building. That location is perfect because of its proximity to the Grill for food. There’s a lot of wrinkles.

Immediately behind the Library, there’s no room.

I’m actually all for this solution, it’s just not a simple swap out.

Now, the NYC Arcade...

Not knowing the terminology of the theaters, what occupies those two right now? Shrek and T2?
Shrek in Orlando has two theaters. They alternate them A/B during busy season to get more people through. They’re pretty much both the same, but have different entrances from the queue. At HHN one of them is utilized for a maze in recent years.

If you’ve seen the park back when it was Alfred Hitchcock: The Art Of Making Movies, the Show was separated into two sections. First was the movie that ended with the 3D birds attacking you. Second was the live action behind the scenes for Psycho’s shower scene. Guests would move from theater 1 to theater 2 between segments to get the whole show. Now, they’re both used separately as identical Shrek theaters.

Now, the NYC Arcade...

Yeah, as much as it's a nostalgic trip for some people, I don't think many kids go to the arcades anymore, not when it's all on your phone. It's not a real big space though - unless they're taking out Mummy and are completely retooling that building, at most they could stick a quick service or meet 'n greet in there.

Yeah, as much as it's a nostalgic trip for some people, I don't think many kids go to the arcades anymore, not when it's all on your phone. It's not a real big space though - unless they're taking out Mummy and are completely retooling that building, at most they could stick a quick service or meet 'n greet in there.
I’m not sure how the space above the arcade is used; if it’s simply office space or Mummy show/support elements. All of the SLoP plans have queue and shop on the first floor with the ride itself on the second. If the vertical space is available, I think it would work well.

EDIT -

I just did some measurements. The spot immediately behind the library façade (not including SS33) is only around 10k sq ft - less than a 1/4 acre. Shrek, for comparison is about 21k. The arcade also doesn't have enough space. The best spot in New York for a new attraction is the Italian place across from F&F, and even THAT would require an extensive adjustment to the back of house stuff that's right there (like medical services).

Last edited:
Rumors floating that SLOP being looked at for the first original rumored location, namely the 'almost always' abandoned Toon theater and it's environs. Anyone else hearing this rumor? We've been discussing this on Alicia's ParkStop site.

Rumors floating that SLOP being looked at for the first original rumored location, namely the 'almost always' abandoned Toon theater and it's environs. Anyone else hearing this rumor? We've been discussing this on Alicia's ParkStop site.

I hope this happens, mostly because the "USF is getting ignored!" meltdowns would be epic.

Let’s just say, there’s been “movement” back there lately.

But could be unrelated.

In my opinion, I would rather see it in either Kidzone or TL theater

Shrek could honestly be an ever rotating Dreamworks 4D theater realistically

In my opinion, I would rather see it in either Kidzone or TL theater

Shrek could honestly be an ever rotating Dreamworks 4D theater realistically

It can go one way or another, as the building can contain SLoP; due to it being about half an acre for Hollywood (which, is somewhat fascinating). If it's DWT, I won't be as shocked, but that they'd likely have to gut the two theaters to make it one (As the Hollywood location only has one, due to the space needed for it).

Doubt they'd do a Dreamworks Theater to replace Shrek. Not with all the backlash to primary film/projection attractions in USF. Whatever replaces Shrek won't be on a screen. No Way.
Don't get me wrong, I want a headliner attraction at the front of the park...but I just feel something quicker will be done to Shrek...I hope I'm wrong