Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 317 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it’s time to share this info. Partly because, I think, Universal is past the point of no return on making a change of this scale. Partly because I’m anxious (and have been very anxious) to get it off my chest. Partly because I’ve started to get confirmation on the story.

But, mostly, I want to spill it because it’s a cautionary lesson. A big one. That lesson?

Leaks have consequences.

Several weeks ago, I posted these two things.

There was a lot of hand-wringing about what it could mean. Immediate assumptions were that Universal lost Ghostbusters. That wasn’t an impossible guess. It was a guess that didn’t have all the information.

Ghostbusters is involved, but not the way people think.

My posts came about because I was told that an IP bigger than Stranger Things was going to show up, but if it got leaked, Universal would likely lose it. And it looks like Universal DID lose it, but not because that IP itself got leaked.

Universal lost the IP because GHOSTBUSTERS got leaked. The rights holders got skittish because, from their perspective, Universal can’t keep a lid on information. So, because of leaks, Universal lost what would have been their biggest get ever.

I suspected what the IP was then. I’ve gotten confirmation of what the IP was now. I’m sure you can guess it.

Because Ghostbusters got leaked, Universal lost the rights to

Game of Thrones
this hurts.
heart-attack.jpg

Annabelle is Warner Bros and under The Conjuring Universe.

Just a question but are spin offs off limits from WB to Universal? I can see why Conjuring 1,2, & 3 are off the table as they’re the main films but would the Annabelle franchise or The Nun be easier to get?

Well Universal tried their hand at trying to bring The Conjuring at 27 but last minute change caused it to be the Hive which was a decent house, a Salem's Lot like house than anything, I don't think Universal will even try to bring the Conjuring Universe to the event, I mean anything could happen but not those films.

We just lost two IPs? I don't care that much about GOT as it would made the event even more of a crowd hell. But Ghostbusters?! What a tragedy.

So no bigger IP house then StrTh now and GB isn’t a house it something else. Any guesses on how GB will be at the event?

We just lost two IPs? I don't care that much about GOT as it would made the event even more of a crowd hell. But Ghostbusters?! What a tragedy.
Ghostbusters is still happening as a house.

I think it’s time to share this info. Partly because, I think, Universal is past the point of no return on making a change of this scale. Partly because I’m anxious (and have been very anxious) to get it off my chest. Partly because I’ve started to get confirmation on the story.

But, mostly, I want to spill it because it’s a cautionary lesson. A big one. That lesson?

Leaks have consequences.

Several weeks ago, I posted these two things.

There was a lot of hand-wringing about what it could mean. Immediate assumptions were that Universal lost Ghostbusters. That wasn’t an impossible guess. It was a guess that didn’t have all the information.

Ghostbusters is involved, but not the way people think.

My posts came about because I was told that an IP bigger than Stranger Things was going to show up, but if it got leaked, Universal would likely lose it. And it looks like Universal DID lose it, but not because that IP itself got leaked.

Universal lost the IP because GHOSTBUSTERS got leaked. The rights holders got skittish because, from their perspective, Universal can’t keep a lid on information. So, because of leaks, Universal lost what would have been their biggest get ever.

I suspected what the IP was then. I’ve gotten confirmation of what the IP was now. I’m sure you can guess it.

Because Ghostbusters got leaked, Universal lost the rights to

Game of Thrones
I have no source saying "Ghostbusters is coming!". But a few people DMed me asking if it was coming and I'm curious to hear ya'lls input.
Basically how it worked is that Ben leaked the maze at the end of the March (He was hinting it and I warned him not to leak it or hint it) didn't listen so it leaked and it got to social media on Twitter and Facebook and articles about it and because of that HBO saw that and didn't like that and pulled out.

Which is funny because if you look at the timeline it's he leaked Ghostbusters (End of March) > He puts out a apology about how he is done leaking stuff (In Mid April) Which is out of the ordinary for him considering last year he was trying to leak my info that I told him personally (And HHN Photos of inside the Mazes) and take info that I told him not to tell anyone and put it as his own (Including @Legacy as well) so something must have happened.

So what I'm trying to say is that thanks to Ben we won't be having Game of Thrones this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: hhnlover
Ghostbusters is still happening as a house.
I'm no longer that bummed out, but we never settled in GOT being in the event. Is HOTC the replacement IP? Was it a scarezone or a house? If it was a scarezone the Viking area seems to be the replacement. Why are the legal owners so picky, I understand legal issues like the Conjouring house representation and the Scream tv show being shoehorned into a house. But a leak that almost no one knew or believed seems to be an overreaction and a wasted opportunity to get publicity and revenue.
But no GOT means less crowds and all the merchandise will not be all focused on that IP and we still have the paranormal cosmonauts on the table : D

Reactions: Spaulding
Apologies in advance to any fans of the series, but I am kind of glad GoT isn't coming. Not because I don't watch it, but because it would have brought crazy levels of crowds on top of GB and Stranger Things. Those 3 all together in one year seems like too much.

A shame for the fans, and obviously for Universal as well due to the money it would likely bring them, but not something I am personally disappointed over.

I guess that explains the lack of GB logo on the speculation maps.

Also, also- Universal must really hate these spec boards, huh? I feel weird about it now.

It’s a love/hate deal.

Leaks will always be around. They know it. But it’s how, what and when it gets leaked. They have a plan, especially when it comes to IP partnerships, to maximize exposure. Leaks can impact those plans, and obviously, impact deals.