Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal

Its over...Sony statement seems to indicate there will be no change in the future because Kevin will be too busy.

‘Spider-Man’ Studio Sony Say It's "Disappointed" With Marvel Movie Divorce | Hollywood Reporter

This is hilariously BS.

I honestly think this is all spectacle and they'll come to terms soon. Remember that James Gunn was "fired" and never came back. I don't think the onus is entirely on Disney or Sony (because I definitely see some taking some unsurprising sides), they both need to kiss and make up.

That’s pretty easy. All Disney has to do is continue with their current arrangement. They were in a mutually beneficial relationship, which Sony was happy to extend, until Disney got incredibly greedy. Their offer was insulting, and I would’ve walked away too. They’re basically a monopoly at this point and were already making BILLIONS off of Spidey. But that’s not enough, apparently. Smdh.

Its slowly start to go from screw Sony to screw Disney....the tides are changing. This marks the fourth controversy so far to blow up in the Dis community with the Mulan Boycott, Social Media, Alleged Fraud and now this.
Those “controversies” are all so inconsequential, with the exception of *maybe* the fraud allegations. And I’d bet $100 Mulan ends up making $1B, so they aren’t worried there.

This shouldn’t have happened though and Disney/Sony should both be working to fix it as it looks bad on both of them imo.

What are you talking about, there was never a Dark Tower movie.
The Dark Tower (2017 film) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Those “controversies” are all so inconsequential, with the exception of *maybe* the fraud allegations. And I’d bet $100 Mulan ends up making $1B, so they aren’t worried there.
Not to get political, but it seems a lot of the scandals are just ginned up by people who are upset at some of the decisions (casting / etc) which Disney has made.

This shouldn’t have happened though and Disney/Sony should both be working to fix it as it looks bad on both of them imo.

The Dark Tower (2017 film) - Wikipedia

bb8.png

That’s pretty easy. All Disney has to do is continue with their current arrangement. They were in a mutually beneficial relationship, which Sony was happy to extend, until Disney got incredibly greedy. Their offer was insulting, and I would’ve walked away too. They’re basically a monopoly at this point and were already making BILLIONS off of Spidey. But that’s not enough, apparently. Smdh.

What, Sony’s not supposed to just grin and bear it so Disney fans can have their tribalist wet dreams?

Lots of the same people who claim Disney shouldn’t pay a living wage, park additions are hard and expensive, prices just have to go up, Disney’s a business, and other excuses bend over backwards to have other companies treat Disney with kid gloves and not work in their best interests. Sony should just bend over and take it from Disney for anything Spider-Man and Universal should just sign over the theme park rights pronto. It’s total tribalist BS and I’m sick and tired of it from usually smart people.

I’m sure there was a joke there about how bad the dark tower was, but it wasn’t that good of a joke if that was the case.

It’s a good joke nick. :lol:

They’re basically a monopoly

I’m not here to defend Disney. Only to defend the definition of monopoly, which you are using incorrectly. Disney is not a monopoly. People seem to think every extremely successful company is a monopoly. A lot of power and influence doesn’t mean you control the supply chain (which is what a monopoly would be).
Does Disney do some shady sh*t? Yes absolutely. Is Disney a monopoly? No.

Just the phrasing that most reports have used lead to the obvious conclusion that Disney leaked their side of the story first to bring massive public pressure onto Sony; they even phrased it as if Sony cut off discussions without considering Disney's offer...

Now Sony is countering by releasing details that they did actually come back with counteroffers to Disney's original 50/50 offer.
There may still be a deal to be had here, but Sony is in a position where they can basically tell Disney to just continue on the original contract terms (Spiderman stays in MCU, Spiderman is not a part of Sony's Marvel movies, Disney gets same cut they always have) or the deal is over.

I don't see the incentive for Sony to give Disney a more favorable contract than the previous one.

Just the phrasing that most reports have used lead to the obvious conclusion that Disney leaked their side of the story first to bring massive public pressure onto Sony; they even phrased it as if Sony cut off discussions without considering Disney's offer...

Now Sony is countering by releasing details that they did actually come back with counteroffers to Disney's original 50/50 offer.
There may still be a deal to be had here, but Sony is in a position where they can basically tell Disney to just continue on the original contract terms (Spiderman stays in MCU, Spiderman is not a part of Sony's Marvel movies, Disney gets same cut they always have) or the deal is over.

I don't see the incentive for Sony to give Disney a more favorable contract than the previous one.
Yeah, I think we're seeing a very public negotiation. I don't think it's over yet, but I think they're both calling each others bluff and hoping the other will blink.

I’m not here to defend Disney. Only to defend the definition of monopoly, which you are using incorrectly. Disney is not a monopoly. People seem to think every extremely successful company is a monopoly. A lot of power and influence doesn’t mean you control the supply chain (which is what a monopoly would be).
Does Disney do some shady sh*t? Yes absolutely. Is Disney a monopoly? No.

It’s certainly a Market Leader and getting closer to a near-monopoly every day lol. The acquisitions of Lucas, Marvel, and Fox is kinda scary tbh. People are exaggerating when they say “monopoly”, obviously, but the sheer volume of media they own/sell/make a crap ton of money off of is disconcerting.

Disney, Apple, Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. None are true monopolies, but calling them something close isn’t too much of a stretch imo

I'm sure they've been working on this for months now. Sony it seems to be the one taking it to the press with the info of Disney wanting half (aka the Thanos special) whereas they only got 5% before.

Disney also made a point of not mentioning Spider-Man at the big Phase 4 presentation, which turns out to be a sign of what was to come.

It’s certainly a Market Leader and getting closer to a near-monopoly every day lol. The acquisitions of Lucas, Marvel, and Fox is kinda scary tbh. People are exaggerating when they say “monopoly”, obviously, but the sheer volume of media they own/sell/make a crap ton of money off of is disconcerting.

Disney, Apple, Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. None are true monopolies, but calling them something close isn’t too much of a stretch imo

They aren’t controlling the means of distribution that effects other production companies. That's when it would be a monopoly.

Would I have preferred Fox to stay as its own studio? Of course. But too many people are confusing this for something it's not.

They aren’t controlling the means of distribution that effects other production companies. That's when it would be a monopoly.

Would I have preferred Fox to stay as its own studio? Of course. But too many people are confusing this for something it's not.
The thing is Fox was gonna sell no matter what, too. If it didn't go to Disney, it was going to Comcast. So it was never staying the same.

The thing is Fox was gonna sell no matter what, too. If it didn't go to Disney, it was going to Comcast. So it was never staying the same.

Yup! That's the other thing people seem to forget. Fox wasn't some small, independent studio that was forced into being sold. They WANTED someone to buy them. It is what it is.